PDA

View Full Version : casting tin?

smoked turkey
10-02-2012, 11:40 PM
I purchased a small block of tin from a member here a while back. I have wanted to do the 2% tin with a 50/50 mix for a hunting boolit. I was wondering how to get the tin into small easy to use ingots. I was thinking in terms of melting it in my Lyman pot and casting it into a small boolit mold such as a 38 or 44 mold. These could be weighed and adding the correct amount for a 2% mix would be easy to do. If this is feasible what pot temp would I use? I am thinking 400 degrees or so? If there is a better way I am open to some teaching here as I had a hard time getting a piece off the larger chunk when I tried my first batch. This may be a dumb question but I don't know if I don't ask. Thanks for any help.

rmatchell
10-03-2012, 12:10 AM
I have never tried casting into molds but I would think it would be ok. I have poured it into water to make small drops it was easy to measure.

Horace
10-03-2012, 12:24 AM
Pour pencil thin ingots using angle iron.
Horace

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

runfiverun
10-03-2012, 12:38 AM
molding it will work fine.
melting it at low temp is best, you might need a bit more than 400-f though.
any of the above mentioned will work fine,
use the 2% with the ww's then cut it in half that will be fine.
don't cut it then add the 2% that won't be....

220swiftfn
10-03-2012, 01:18 AM
Depending on how big a chunk you have, you could always melt it in a stainless measuring cup on a hotplate..... Either cast it in a boolit mold, buckshot mold, sinker mold, small condiment cup, or anything else that makes it easy to add small amounts to your melt.....

Dan

smoked turkey
10-03-2012, 02:06 AM
Thanks for your helpful replies. runfiverun I did think it might take some more than 400-f, but I will start low and work up until I have a good melt. Good on the way to add 2% and then cut it in half. In figuring the amount to add to 4 lbs of Wheelweights I calculate it would be 560 grains. I am sure once I do it in a boolit mold and weigh it I will see what size the ingots need to be. Since tin is so much lighter than lead it would probably be best to cast it up in a 44 mag mold. The pencil size would probably work well because in that way it could be cut with dykes. Thanks again.

Lloyd Smale
10-03-2012, 04:30 AM
ive casted alot into ingots. it works fine.

randyrat
10-03-2012, 06:50 AM
Set up a shoot just under your pore spout going into a bucket of water. Let it drop a couple feet before the water bucket, You may end up with little footballs or big rain drops. Use a (forgot the name of it) metal pencil on the shoot to keep any from sticking.
Temp of the water will rise, just use some ice to cool it.

15 minute job.

captaint
10-03-2012, 08:35 AM
I melted mine (pewter) and poured it into half pound ingots from the Lee ingot mold. I like the "coins" idea also, made by pouring a little in a condiment cup. enjoy Mike

rexherring
10-03-2012, 08:56 AM
Another good mold is the bottom of soda cans. They're just tipped upside down and pour into the concave bottom. Gives you a nice round button.

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-03-2012, 10:14 AM
a year ago, I cast up a bunch of Tin boolits for alloying.
Near Pure tin...I suspect 97% to 99.9%
anyway, I used a Lee 2 cav. 50 cal "REAL" bullet mold (the 250 gr.)
the boolits weigh a consistant 169gr. each.
I also poured a fairly large double sprue puddle,
and saved those for alloying as well,
so I'd have some "various" weights,
they weigh 200 to 300 gr. each
Jon

tonyjones
10-03-2012, 11:46 AM
Round ball moulds will work as well.

TJ