PDA

View Full Version : BPpresrSpike=WPpresrSpike??

Pepe Ray
05-29-2007, 12:31 PM
IIUC, a BP load will always spike faster(and higher?) than a smokeless load,IAEIE.
This is what makes the 38-55W such a controversial ctg.
The manufactures have maintained the traditional specs and build BP rifles but the customers want a smokeless rifle and insist on modern loads and techniques. This leads them to either re bbl. or re-chamber. My question
Has anyone explored the available smokeless powders to find the one with the combustion peak that most closely resembles the BP?
I have a guess---but wont influence your answers w/it.
Pepe Ray

twotrees
05-29-2007, 10:36 PM
Pepe,

I have just started loading for the 38-55 (H&R Target) . Fire formed some 30-30 cases with 10 Unique and 248 gr boolits and it shot well in the 1:15 twist. Also loaded some 1600-1800 fps loads with 3031 They shot OK too.

But it really shined with 40 gr 3F Bp in 38-55 cases, 335 gr boolits.

TwoTrees

Pepe Ray
05-29-2007, 11:53 PM
twotrees;
Thanks for the encoouraging response. (Black powder workd well).
Does the H&R bbls have the same bore/chamber relationship as found in the Lever Action family?
I think that those of us who've been troubled by the unique characteristics found in Wins. & Marlins. must understand that the SOP commonly used today for cast boolet loading can NOT be applied to the traditional 38-55W.
Many of us, Would like to load and shoot this fine old ctg., but for whatever reason prefer to NOT use BlkPdr. For some, even fake BP is not an option. MY question addresses the current knowledge base about smokeless powders.
Is there a smokeless powder that approches the quick pressure spike of BP?

I don't know about the characteristics of the H&R or if you have to contend with the same problems of the Marlin/Win. owners. Thanks for your perspective.
Pepe Ray

gregg
05-30-2007, 07:33 AM
I don't know but what about TrailBoss powder?

montana_charlie
05-30-2007, 10:54 AM
If you were to do much reading on the Shiloh forum, you would find that smokless powder is almost universally rejected by that membership as 'unsuitable' for the BPCR calibers.
However, Kirk Bryant (the owner of Shiloh Rifles) recommends AA 5744 for those who wish to use smokeless powder in the guns he builds.
CM

Cimarron Red
05-31-2007, 01:32 PM
A good .38-55 smokeless load that delivers BP velocities is 18 grains of 4227, IMR or Hodgdon, with bullet weights ranging from 245 to 270 grains.