PDA

View Full Version : Aloxing jacketed bullets?

Jim
10-02-2012, 01:55 PM
As goofy as it sounds, are there any down sides to putting a light coat of Alox on jacketed bullets? Seems to me it would reduce friction and copper fouling.

felix
10-02-2012, 02:02 PM
Castor wax, or some other wax with a VERY high viscosity would be needed. ... felix

runfiverun
10-02-2012, 05:00 PM
polished and buffed.
i use nufinish on my swaged 223 bullets,i throw em in the tumbler and let it go just like doing brass cases.
never thought about it stopping/cutting down on fouling.
wet oils and especially parrafinics can have a dieseling affect on the leading edge of the bullet.
i know we discussed this about 6 months ago but cannot recall the thread.

Recluse
10-02-2012, 05:09 PM
I tried it several years ago out of sheer boredom and curiosity. Did it with some .30 150 grain jacketed Speer bullets for my 30-06.

Had a very difficult time getting the LLA to apply evenly on the jacketed bullets.

Loading and seating them was a huge pain as the alox kept coming off--even though it was tacky (couldn't get it to really "dry" per se).

In firing the rounds, my groups opened up about fifteen percent and I didn't notice any noticeable or measurable difference in fouling.

Just my results.

:coffee:

Jim
10-02-2012, 07:16 PM
Interesting. Thank you, JD.

frkelly74
10-02-2012, 08:09 PM
Would you gild a lilly too?

firefly1957
10-02-2012, 09:07 PM
I think there was something in a NRA reprint about lubing jacketed bullets. ? Hatcher maybe about the Springfield service rifle? It was not worth it if I remember correctly and was started because of a tin? coating of bullets for target?

I know there is not much information there it has been years since I read the book and am not near it now.

stubshaft
10-02-2012, 09:11 PM
HBN powder applied by impact tumbling seems to increase velocity and lower fouling in the rifles that I use them on.

Jim
10-03-2012, 07:40 AM
What got me to thinking about this is the principle behind Molycoat.

Trey45
10-03-2012, 08:59 AM
If you're having this much of an issue of copper fouling in your rifle I think I would adjust the load or change bullets or both before lubing them.

Unless this is all just an experiment for the sake of experimenting, in that case have fun out there!

Jim
10-03-2012, 09:08 AM
If you're having this much of an issue of copper fouling in your rifle I think I would adjust the load or change bullets or both before lubing them.

Unless this is all just an experiment for the sake of experimenting, in that case have fun out there!

That's all it is.