PDA

View Full Version : How do you see lead in a Model 94?

shooting on a shoestring
05-28-2007, 11:07 PM
I've shot cast in revolvers since the 70's. I always keep an eye on barrel leading simply by looking through the cylinder window at the forcing cone, or putting a piece of white cleaning patch in the cylinder window and look down the muzzle. The longest barrel I have is 7.5", and I can easily see even the tiniest bit of lead starting to collect in the corners of the rifling. Not so with my Model 94. I've been working with cast in the 30/30 and when I reflect light up the barrel with a white patch and flashlight, all I see are lots of shiny lands and dark grooves. I can't tell anything about leading anywhere except for the last 1/2 inch before the muzzle. Is there any good way to monitor leading while shooting at the range?

S.R.Custom
05-28-2007, 11:31 PM
Open the action, shine a light at the bolt face, and look down the muzzle.

Also, if the lands are shiny and the grooves are dark, sounds like you should be casting larger diameter boolits... :mrgreen:

floodgate
05-29-2007, 12:32 AM
Shoestring:

There used to be a neat little gizmo on the "war surplus" market, probably for the M1, a little gray plastic tube 1-1/2" or so long with an open extension on one side holding a small mirror; you could drop it into the open action and slide the round section into the rear of the chamber, look into the window, and see down the throat, leede and barrel, I think I have one around here still, somewhere. I am sure there is something of the sort on the market currently. Brownell's? Anyone here ever seen one??

floodgate

carpetman
05-29-2007, 01:12 AM
I found mine at Wal Mart. There is a fiber optic attachment that slides onto a mini maglite,they make two different lengths of stingers I got the long but I really think the cheaper shorter one would be everybit aas good. Think the attachment was like $7 but it is a real good bore light.

shooting on a shoestring
05-30-2007, 04:06 AM
Yeah, thats a great idea. Thanks.