PDA

View Full Version : 358 Winchester

LAH
10-02-2012, 07:47 AM
How would you spec a barrel for the following bullet:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=141798

Using 358 Winchester brass & I'm thinking a Model 70 Action if that makes a difference.

Thanks guys.........Creeker

MBTcustom
10-02-2012, 10:19 AM
I'm not 100% sure what you mean, but I would use a 1-14 twist barrel for that boolit, no more than 1-16. The throat need not be very long, nor very short, just medium PTG standard should be great. Make sure to bevel and polish the edges of the chamber where the rear of the barrel is, so that there is less opportunity for the boolits to get damaged as they slide over it, or if the edge of your FN clips the edge of the chamber upon insertion.
Chamber for the go-gage, plus .0025 and you should have a tight, yet easy to work with, chamber.
Pick the contour you like, give it a recessed 11 degree target crown, and git-er-done.
Also, dont be afraid to reform 308 brass for your rifle. When I started, I insisted on 358 Winchester brass, but I was less than impressed with the quality. I believe I am going to order 100 Hornady brass in 308Win and reform it.
Does that help?

LAH
10-02-2012, 12:01 PM
Does that help?

Yes it does.

Antietamgw
11-13-2012, 10:13 AM
I've had a BLR81 in .358 for 15 yrs or so. It was pretty particular with cast as I recall and didn't preform very well with pistol bullets. It did OK with 358009, my only heavier .35 cal mold at the time but I recall having to seat them deeper than I liked. I'm assuming that the chamber is just a SAAMI spec but the leade was almost non-existant with a very short throat, maybe since OAL is limited in this short action. I doubt that will be an issue in your M/70. It's been some time and though I made a throat slug, I just don't remember.... I had a .35 cal throating reamer with a 1.5 degree (included) leade and ran it in just enough to clean up the leade but not really deepen the ball seat portion of the throat. It resulted in much more versatility with light bullets. I have only 3 loads for this rifle, full power with cast and jacketed and a popgun load for fun. These cover anything I could want to do with it. It's so reliable it's boring Maybe I'd look for a 270gr or so cast load if we had anything heavy around but my 225gr. FP loads have been a hammer on deer and a couple black bear. I believe the SAAMI spec throat calls for 1.5 degree per side, 3 degree included and that might work just fine, some of the .358 guru here will know. I believe my factory leade, if any, was steeper than that. You can see the drawing here:

http://www.saami.org/specifications_and_information/index.cfm

A M/70 in .358 would sure be a nice setup - good luck with it!

LAH
11-16-2012, 11:10 PM
Thank you Sir. I enjoyed the read & information. This page is bookmarked.