PDA

View Full Version : Bear Creek cast/moly coated

opos
10-01-2012, 07:26 PM
I ran across a fair sized quantity of 44 cal Bear Creek .430 moly lubed projectiles in various weights...I understand Bear Creek is not around any longer and just wondered if any of you can answer a few questions...First any feedback on the general quality of them? These are a bit older and have been stored for a while...In general terms is the moly coating decent to use (I'm fairly new to cast boolit shooting exept for about 3000 total Missouri and have had good results...and finally the guy that has them has no idea about the hardness of the Bear Creek 44's...

I like to shoot mild 44 special and mild 44 magnum loads....not set up to do any additional lubing so if a moly coated boolit needs extra lube I don't want to mess with them or if they are noted for having problems I'd probably pass...

Many thanks for any help on this one..
opos

Whiterabbit
10-01-2012, 07:54 PM
bear creek is doing just fine. I'll let others commend on shooting moly. It's worked just fine for me the few times I've shot moly. I find the secret to moly is not to worry that it's in your barrel. Cause it basically (basically) never comes out.

Inkman
10-01-2012, 09:00 PM
Bear Creek is delivering 5000 lbs of molys to my buddys house tomorrow after a group buy him and a bunch of buddys did, so they're doing just fine.

As far as loads go, i know folks who shoot them in all manner of calibers and guns from full power to powder puff loads. They all get zero leading but their barrels do need vigouous cleaning to get the moly out. They guys who never clean their barrels till the 5 thousand rd mark still have no accuracy problems either.

Hope that helps.

Al

williamwaco
10-01-2012, 09:43 PM
They all get zero leading but their barrels do need vigouous cleaning to get the moly out. They guys who never clean their barrels till the 5 thousand rd mark still have no accuracy problems either.

Al

I have never used moly, never felt the need for it. I Use Alox/Beeswax. It doesn't build up.

Question. If a buildup of 5,000 rounds doesn't have any adverse effects, why do they need vigorous cleaning to get it out?

Does it build up and reduce the diameter of the bore?

Inkman
10-01-2012, 10:16 PM
My friends who shoot molys all shoot USPSA, ICORE, Steel Challenge, Multi-gun and a little IDPA. Hitting a 5inch plate at 40 yds is as accurate as you will need to be in those sports. That kind of accuracy is almost overkill even, unlike bullseye shooting.

Unlike myself, where i like to clean my gun before any match, a bunch of my buds will run them till they have a malfunction. That is when the gun gets cleaned. At that point it is broken down completely (not just field stripped) and everything is given its thorough cleaning and that is when the bore will usually get much more than just an oiled patch thru it. This is where the vigorous scrubbing comes at to get the moly out and get the bore clean and shiny.

Myself, i have been shooting Bullseye powder from the beginning and while it meters and runs great, it is a de-facto dirty powder and my guns need cleaning more often. Many of the Moly shooters are running VV N320/N350 or other "clean" powders which allows them to go much longer between cleanings. Since the Moly bullets show virtually no sign of leading but require a lot of work getting the bores clean, i would assume that any excess coating is shot out or burnt up or there would be excessive buildup in the bore, which there is not.

Even my own cast boolits lead my bores a tiny bit, but it never affects my accuracy needs. Even purposely going many thousands of rds between cleanings to see how much lead would build up, it never got past a small amt.

Hope that makes sense.

Al

Whiterabbit
10-02-2012, 06:34 AM
I have never used moly, never felt the need for it. I Use Alox/Beeswax. It doesn't build up.

Question. If a buildup of 5,000 rounds doesn't have any adverse effects, why do they need vigorous cleaning to get it out?

Does it build up and reduce the diameter of the bore?

I suspect its like antimony wash. Some people don't care, other people will scrub scrub scrub till they see bare steel.

I think it's the same thing. some folks dont care, some want the moly out. But it's a bastard to get out.