PDA

View Full Version : Filed for my first LLC today!

TheDoctor
10-01-2012, 12:40 PM
Step one on my business venture. Going to be doing biomedical equipment services. Start small and safe, sticking to dental and veterinary clinics. Maybe one day step up to actual biomed services once I have grown a bit. Decided it was time to take the plunge. Getting tired if working for fractions of what my time is worth, and someone else reaping the lions share. Thankfully, I have a good friend of mine who has started tremendously successful businesses like I am trying, and is coaching me along the way. Especially with the "If I were starting over again, this is how I would do it differently...." Seems like it is easier to learn from someone else's mistakes.

Tom Myers
10-01-2012, 03:18 PM
Go for it and may fortune smile upon you.

blackthorn
10-01-2012, 04:29 PM
Good luck in your venture!!

Mike in TX
10-01-2012, 05:17 PM
Good Luck and be thankful for your friend. My first attempt was a failure, the second paid the bills and the third was sucessful beyond my dreams.

Mike B

jmort
10-01-2012, 05:45 PM
For future reference - I believe www.nevada123.com is the best option for opening a LLC or Corporation.

TheDoctor
10-01-2012, 08:11 PM
Wow, wish I had seen that site. Went to one that my friend sent me to, but this one looks like it may have been a better way to go.

MBTcustom
10-01-2012, 08:29 PM
Congratulations! Get ready for sleep problems, stress, long hours, short pay, and enough paper work to make you rip your hair out! Basically the best time of your life!
I just started my own business venture in march and so far its a blast.
It is all of those things I just mentioned, but you get get a sense of self worth that is almost worth dying for.
Kind of like when you had your first child.
Again, congratulations!
May you reap the benefits of the risk you have taken, seven times seven, and provide a blanket of prosperity to your community.

Wayne Smith
10-02-2012, 08:05 AM
"Learn from other people's mistakes, life is too short to make them all!" I don't remember to whom that was attributed, but it's got to be one of my favorite quotes.

Know yourself, especially those things you are not good at doing, or that you cannot do. Be up front in getting needed support, nobody should be trying to do it all. Something will get dropped, and that will trip you up of not destroy the business.

41 mag fan
10-02-2012, 10:25 AM
:kidding: And remember...as the famous obama/ saviour said...you didn't create and grow your business, the government did!!

But in seriousness, I wish you the best of luck on your new venture

gravel
10-03-2012, 04:07 AM
congrats.

what did it cost you to set up, and what are the annual fees to keep it alive?
Last time I checked, in my state it was about $90 to set up, and $15 per year to keep it alive.

are you setting up a website ASAP and getting business cards done ASAP?

FYI, you can use a domain name for email without having a regular website, if that's what you want.

do what it takes to not have a hotmail/gmail/yahoomail address on the biz cards.

TheDoctor
10-03-2012, 07:50 AM
My state filing fee was about $308. Reserved a website, but have not set it up yet. Got confirmation that sec state has approved my application and name. Once I print the documents, then it's time to go to the bank and open a business account. The banks here can get you an EIN. Then have to get a sales tax permit. Then have to get insurance. Still scouting out a few local services that I will need for support. Need a good electrician, a med gas certified plumber, a good upholstery shop, and a local handpiece repair business.

TheDoctor
10-03-2012, 08:27 AM
Wow! Filed for this thing Monday, checked my email this morning, and it's already done! Average time for Texas is supposed to be 6-8 business days, and I have completed documents in less than 48 hours. Now that I have them, it's tine to get busy. Guess my friend was right about which company to use.

Echo
10-03-2012, 11:25 AM
Good luck, Homie...

Milby '53

Swindler1
10-03-2012, 11:48 AM
Why did you go with a LLC ?

TheDoctor
10-03-2012, 02:08 PM
Went with an llc because initially it is going to be just my wife and I. Did not see the benefit of incorporating, at least not yet. And I want more protection than just an insurance policy.

quilbilly
10-03-2012, 05:36 PM
Fair winds and following seas! Welcome!
I started my wholesale business in 1978 and am still making customers happy with the products and service. Take good care of your small accounts and don't be too distracted by the big ones. It is your small accounts that will keep you going when the going gets tough.

Char-Gar
10-03-2012, 05:45 PM
Don't make the mistake made by most small business start ups.

1. Don't expect to support yourself from the start. It will take more time than you want for the revenue to be enough to keep you from starving.

2. Don't over leverage..i.e. don't borrow to much money to start up or expand. If you do a small down turn can send you into bankrupcy.

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-03-2012, 05:54 PM
Step one on my business venture. Going to be doing biomedical equipment services. Start small and safe, sticking to dental and veterinary clinics.

I wish you GOOD LUCK.

I don't know if this applies to you or not, and I assume you've looked into it.
Obamacare !!!
Minnesota has a lot of medical device manufacturers, it been in the news that the obamacare law is going to hit them pretty hard on taxes. I hope this doesn't impact you.
Jon

phaessler
10-03-2012, 06:59 PM
Best of Luck in your venture!!!

Charlie Two Tracks
10-03-2012, 07:09 PM
Congratulations! I used to have a carpentry business. TC Carpentry Inc. Quality works that's on the level............ My back and knees finally gave out and I closed it. I had 3 to 5 employees. It was a lot of work and worry but it was worth all the hassle. Hang in there.