PDA

View Full Version : Back from the Rendezvous

Boerrancher
10-01-2012, 07:54 AM
Got back late last night from a rendezvous and shooting match. My trade blanket items that I sold more than paid for my trip, so that was great. I took my trade gun to shoot in the match, as I really wasn't concerned about trying to win. There were about 25 camps there and about a dozen shooters at the match. I was the only one shooting a smooth bore, or a flinter in the competition. I don't think I did two badly I placed 4th in the match and won a free year's subscription to the Campfire Press as a prize. A 21 shot match is a long match, shooting at everything from pencils to lolly pops. I don't think I did too badly.

Best wishes,

Joe

Boerrancher
10-01-2012, 10:19 AM
Here is a couple of pics I took of a few of the camps. I had taken lots of photos but some how managed to accidentally delete most of them. There were a lot of really nice camps there with lots of unique items for sale. I just wish I would have had more time to shoot.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/Boerrancher/Rendezvous/SouthendofCamp.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/Boerrancher/Rendezvous/BillsLodge.jpg

Here is a photo I took of my camp. Wild Bill and Big Round just happened to be in the photo. Big Round is my shooting buddy. Not many folks around here are interested in Burning the Holy Black. They want it quick and easy in an inline with pyro pellets, if they are ambitious enough for even that, so when I found Big Round a few years back he was like a Godsend.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/Boerrancher/Rendezvous/BillandDave.jpg

Best wishes,

Joe

waksupi
10-01-2012, 10:52 AM
Good time, good shooting. What's not to like? I'm glad to hear you were up towards the top with the smoothie!

newton
10-01-2012, 02:39 PM
Where was the match? I almost went to one around my neck of the woods over in Berryville, AR. Did not make it though. I am going to plan for it next year.

Boerrancher
10-01-2012, 02:43 PM
I'm glad to hear you were up towards the top with the smoothie!

It was funny that I killed the lolly pop tree on my last shot. It was a verticle post with holes drilled in it for the lolly pop sticks to go in. I thought I was going to be a smart **** and shoot the stick off. It was only 20 yards no sweat. I called out the number for the pop I was going to shoot and when I touched off old Tradey I pulled slightly to the right. I still caught the stick but about half the ball caught the post the stick was mounted in. That big heavy 0.600 ball caught the edge of the post and caused it to Rip away form the steel post it was mounted to. I got the remaining 8 lolly pops, all in one shot. They wouldn't score it that way for me though and they didn't even give me credit for shooting the stick on the one, even though I called it. Who knows maybe I would have placed in third had I have gotten the points for the lolly pop stick.

I think that there were a number of folks shocked that a smoothie would compete with the rifles. When I first brought it up to the firing line, there were a lot snickers from some of the younger folks when they found out it was a smooth bore. Some of the old timers weren't so sure either but didn't rule out the possibility that it could be a shooter. There wasn't any snickering when I started busting the lolly pops, that were an inch in diameter.

One fell had a 22 cal flint lock that was left handed. He fired 22 cal lead pellets out of it. I wanted to see him shoot it in the competition but he said it was too small for the steel target. He said it was his squirrel rifle. The way he shot it at the lolly pops, I can see why it was his squirrel rifle. I got a good look at how it was made and one day I may build one. 5 grains of 3Fg over a lead pellet ought to be a killer for tree rats. What was funny was the lock made more noise when he pulled the trigger on it than the report of the rifle did. I could have shot it but I am not big on shooting southpaw flinters. I don't like the flash in my face.

Best wishes,

Joe

Dean D.
10-01-2012, 02:53 PM
Way to go Joe! Our fall shoots have been called due to fire danger. Thanks for letting us live vicariously through your report! Ya gotta love that Holy Black.

Edit: Photobucket has been giving me fits this morning. Your pics didn't show up when I first replied but they do now. Great looking camp ya got there!

Fly
10-01-2012, 04:13 PM
Man I miss doing those.I used to go to at least one a month in the day.But now I never
know whos putting one on.I would go, hell I'm retired but have lost track of info on them.
I live in east Okla & anyone that can PM me please do.

I would love to give a seminar on making your own black powder.

Fly

Maven
10-01-2012, 05:13 PM
"A 21 shot match is a long match, shooting at everything from pencils to lolly pops. I don't think I did too badly."

Joe, You did REALLY well with a smoothie! Glad you had such a good time. Our local matches, both trail walks and target shoots, often include the pencils and Tootsie Roll Pops, but it's rare to see a smoothbore at them. Btw, I can sometimes hit those targets with a rifle, but the learning curve with my trade gun has been steep. Today, however, I couldn't hit squat with the Isaac Haines rifle Ric built for me.*

*Was shooting for record on a NMLRA Postal Match target. Just couldn't hold still enough. Had 1 so so target (42-0x), but I was hoping to do a bit better. Guess I'll just have to try again!

Boerrancher
10-01-2012, 06:17 PM
Fly,

Maybe we can get the mods to post a sticky here in this forum where folks can post the dates of Rendezvous and shoots that they know about coming up in their local area, that way we have a somewhat searchable database of events. I wasn't that far from Arkansas or Tennessee. I could have just as easily driven to an event in one of those states.

Maven,

I at the end I missed a great number of targets that I should have hit. I was starting to get tired and all of my plates pins and screws were starting to hurt. Not to mention those in the gun were getting hot. I only had one misfire, and that was because I got in a hurry on the rattle box and forgot to wipe off my flint. The humidity was high and the fouling on the flint was sticky and needed to be wiped off every couple of shots. I shot four shots with out wiping the flint and missed the fifth. In all honesty there was as much or more luck in my placing than skill. I am still learning that trade gun. I don't know if it will ever shoot like a rifle, but I am not going to quit trying to make it do so.

Best wishes,

Joe

Marvin S
10-01-2012, 07:00 PM
Looks like good times Joe. We have our local one in three weeks and im getting my new trade gun ready. Need to order a white lightnin liner and install it. You all can go to talkingbear.com to find voos to go to.

Maven
10-01-2012, 07:51 PM
Joe, and other smoothbore shooters, There's an interesting discussion as well as some excellent pointers here: http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=23549.0

DIRT Farmer
10-01-2012, 10:09 PM
Joe for some reason I'm not suprised a smooth bore placed well. To add some fun to thase matches clay targets flying through the air test the ability af all around shooters not just stuff sitting still.
Alan

waksupi
10-02-2012, 12:29 AM
Joe, in the "Our Town" section, is a place for announcing shoots and get-togethers.

Dean D.
10-02-2012, 12:33 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21

A much overlooked area here it seems. It would be nice if folks would post more. Ric and Maven have done so quite a bit in the past. ;)

waksupi
10-02-2012, 12:55 AM
Looks like good times Joe. We have our local one in three weeks and im getting my new trade gun ready. Need to order a white lightnin liner and install it. You all can go to talkingbear.com to find voos to go to.

I went to the talking bear link, and I don't know what the hell it is, but I sure won't ever click on it again. I just hope it didn't give me a virus.

OnHoPr
10-02-2012, 08:11 AM
Well, it looks like it was an enjoyable weekend. A relaxing weekend with campfire smoke in the air and the difference in the beverage and campfire cuisine. A pleasant soothing weekend from the high tech society and fast food of nowadays. You got to do a little shooting, and not bad shooting either.

Marvin S
10-02-2012, 07:41 PM
I'm sorry it did not work for you. Did the address look like this? I just went there.
http://www.talking-bear.com/events.htm

Fly
10-03-2012, 12:44 PM
Where can a guy buy tents like those in the pic's?
Fly

waksupi
10-03-2012, 03:09 PM
Track of the Wolf, Dixie Gun Works. RK Lodges, Panther Primitives, Don Stritz, many others. Do a search.

Boerrancher
10-03-2012, 08:54 PM
I used a Lean Pee that I got from a friend. You can see it in the last pic. It is the tent on the left. It was made by Panther Primitives. The Lean Pee is ideal for 1 or 2 people. If I was going to lodge more than that I would want a wall tent or a full blown Tee Pee. What I like about the lean pee is that it is light weight, one man can set it up, and it only needs one pole. It spreads out and you stake the edges to the ground, and then insert the single pole in the middle. You can't build a fire in it, but a good elk or buffalo robe and one does fine.

Best wishes,

Joe