PDA

View Full Version : Actors Who Served: Hollywood Stars Who Are Military Veterans

WILCO
10-01-2012, 01:08 AM
Just FYI, as I thought folks here would want to know:

http://blog.moviefone.com/2011/04/12/actors-who-served-in-military/

P.S. They left out Audie Murphy. [smilie=b:

StrawHat
10-01-2012, 06:06 AM
Not being picky but was Murphy a veteran who became an actor, not the other way around?

Brasso
10-01-2012, 06:52 AM
StrawHat,
You are correct.

Sam

Wayne Smith
10-01-2012, 07:55 AM
Audie Murphy was the most decorated American in WW!. This lead to him portraying himself in some post war movies, which lead to his acting career.

Echo
10-01-2012, 10:27 AM
WWII, Shrinkster

44man
10-01-2012, 10:37 AM
Yes, so many were great Americans. But today, all actors should serve instead of being crazy liberals. They hate America and the Constitution. They hate our lord God.

Junior1942
10-01-2012, 01:01 PM
...... But today, all actors should serve instead of being crazy liberals. They hate America and the Constitution. They hate our lord God.BS on all that BS.

waynem34
10-01-2012, 02:01 PM
Wasnt Mr Audie Murphy turn down by every branch of the military and wouldnt take no for an answer?Ive heard this but didnt think it was true.

Recluse
10-01-2012, 02:05 PM
There are some others that the blog missed:

• Chuck Norris, USAF

• Tom Selleck, National Guard

• Marshall Teague, US Navy SEAL

And these are just off the top of my head. I know there are more.

:coffee:

jcwit
10-01-2012, 02:10 PM
BS on all that BS.

Back up your BS, jr.

Let the rest of us in on your proof.

Brasso
10-01-2012, 02:17 PM
Junior1492 won't respond. I'm calling his BS also. He has no proof.

Sam

Dean D.
10-01-2012, 02:29 PM
BS on all that BS.

Yup Jr., I agree, Hollywood IS BS. I've been boycotting them for over 12 years now and don't miss a bit of their biased tasteless garbage. :coffeecom

Char-Gar
10-01-2012, 03:25 PM
Yes, so many were great Americans. But today, all actors should serve instead of being crazy liberals. They hate America and the Constitution. They hate our lord God.

1. Why should all actors serve? Lots of non-actor don't serve. Why are you picking on actors?

2. Are all actors crazy liberals? Some are and some are not. Why don't you see they are individuals?

3. Do all actors hate America and the Constitution? No doubt a few do, but that certainly is not true of all actors. Why do you lump them all together?

4. Do all actors hate God? No doubt a few do, but certainly that is not true of all actors. Why do you lump them all together when you don't know what they all believe?

Take as a literal statement, the above quoted post is dumb and ignorant beyond all belief. Take about a knee jerk, non-thinking response.

I am neither an actor, crazy liberal, hate America and the Constition nor do I hate God, but I sure recognize nonsense when I read it. .

Char-Gar
10-01-2012, 03:28 PM
Wasnt Mr Audie Murphy turn down by every branch of the military and wouldnt take no for an answer?Ive heard this but didnt think it was true.

My Grandfather was Murphy's last stateside commanding officer. He told me he was nothing but trouble and the worse soldier he ever commanded. They had to take him out of the guard house to ship him out.

But, I guess it took a guy like that to do what he did. He was one heck of a fighting man.

alamogunr
10-01-2012, 03:31 PM
+1 Char-Gar. You said it better than I could.

bob208
10-01-2012, 03:34 PM
jason robards was a radio opperator on the uss ca. dec.7 1941.

44man
10-01-2012, 03:36 PM
So many of the old actors were true heros during WWII. They never bragged about it.
Today it is different but there are a few like Eastwood and Chuck Norris, Selleck, etc. The rest are liberal jerks.
Just don't forget some of our greatest men were actors.
I do not remember the mans name. He was an actor on TV, a children's show. One of the most decorated men ever, a true hero. Nobody knew.
We have had a few good people there but most have died off and there are just few left.
Junior and Dean make a point, today is different. None of the real men would put up with Obama.
Sorry, I see faces, names escape me but not what they did. Not what they believed in.
Now we have Kommyfornia. The largest BS state ever that should slide into the deep. God knew when he called all the liberals to live at the largest fault line on earth.

Char-Gar
10-01-2012, 03:42 PM
I guess I should be grateful you backed off the "all actors" position, but you are still trying to paint with a brush that is about 20 feet tall.

Children think of the world in black and white term, all good vs. all evil, us vs. them, the good guys vs. the bad guys, but almost all of them grow out of that...well almost! A few folks seem to be stuck there all of their lives.

Char-Gar
10-01-2012, 03:47 PM
I belive the actor on TV, a children's show in post 17 above was Fred Rogers (Mr Rogers).

It was reported far and wide he was a former Navy seal and Marine sniper and decorated to the hilt. That is an urban myth/hoax. He never served in the military.

bowfin
10-01-2012, 03:56 PM
James Garner of "Rockford Files" and "Maverick" was in the Merchant Marine in World War II and the 24th Army Division in the Korean War, earning two Purple Hearts. If I remember right, he brought back a demilled 57mm recoiless rifle from the war. A reporter asked him about it, and he said a Chinese soldier tried to kill him with it. The reporter asked what happened next, and Garner, in his trademark deadpan said, "He isn't around any more."

Michael Caine, the British actor (Zulu), had bouts of stage fright before he fought against the Chinese in Korea with the Royal Fusiliers. He claimed that cured him of being scared of anything less than a full out offensive.

Aunegl
10-01-2012, 04:10 PM
So many of the old actors were true heros during WWII. They never bragged about it.
Today it is different but there are a few like Eastwood and Chuck Norris, Selleck, etc. The rest are liberal jerks.
God knew when he called all the liberals to live at the largest fault line on earth.

Lee Marvin was one of the first Hollywood celebrities to declare his support for the gay rights movement, in his Playboy interview from January 1969. He further stated that he would have no problem playing gay characters on screen, since he was secure with his own sexual orientation.

Served as a marine in the Pacific theater during WW2. In total, he took part in the invasions of 21 islands, and was wounded and nearly died as a result during the Battle of Saipan. He was a sniper, and would be sent in during the night in a small rubber boat, prior to the rest of his platoon. His wartime experiences deeply affected him for the remainder of his life.

Not bad for a liberal jerk, eh.

GOPHER SLAYER
10-01-2012, 04:26 PM
When Lee Marvim was on the late night talk show and described his WWII experiences, I thought he said he was wounded on Iwo Jima but I may be mistaken. He did say that his sargent was the real hero. I don't remember the sargents name but he later played Captain Kangaroo on TV.

Artful
10-01-2012, 04:42 PM
Well to give equal time

The Big List of who hates guns...
http://dailycaller.com/2012/03/01/the-big-list-of-who-hates-guns/

Celebrities:

Krista Allen – Actress

Suzy Amis – Actress

Louis Anderson – Comedian

Richard Dean Anderson – Actor

Maya Angelou – Poet

David Arquette – Actor

Ed Asner – Actor

Alec Baldwin – Actor

Bob Barker – TV Personality

Carol Bayer Sager – Composer

Drew Barrymore – Actress

Kevin Bacon – Actor

Lauren Bacall – Actress*

Sarah Ban Breathnach – Writer

William Baldwin – Actor

Candice Bergen – Actress

Richard Belzer – Actor

Tony Bennett – Singer

Boys II Men – Pop Group

Jon Bon Jovi – Singer

Peter Bogdonovich – Director

Peter Bonerz – Actor

Albert Brooks – Actor

Beau Bridges – Actor

Benjamin Bratt – Actor

Bonnie Bruckheimer – Movie Producer

Christie Brinkley – Model

Dr. Joyce Brothers – Psychologist/Author

James Brolin – Actor

James Brooks – TV Producer

Mel Brooks – Actor/Director

Betty Buckley – Actress

Ellen Burstyn – Actress

Steve Buscemi – Actor

David Canary – Actor

Kate Capshaw – Actress

Kim Cattrall- Actress

Josh Charles – Actor

Robert Chartloff – Producer

Stockard Channing – Actress

Jill Clayburgh – Actress

Terri Clark – Singer

George Clooney – Actor

Jackie Cooper – Actor/Director*

Jennifer Connelly – Actress

Judy Collins – Singer

Kevin Costner – Actor

Sean Connery – Actor

Sheryl Crow – Singer

Billy Crystal- Actor

Julie Cypher – Director

Arlene Dahl – Actress

Clive Davis – Writer

Linda Dano – Actress

Matt Damon – Actor

Pam Dawber – Actress

Patrika Darbo – Actress

Stuart Damon – Actor

Ellen Degeneres – Actress

Gavin de Becker – Writer

Rebecca DeMornay – Actress

Danny DeVito – Actor

Michael Douglas – Actor

Phil Donahue – Talk Show Host

Richard Donner – Director

Fran Drescher – Actress

Richard Dreyfus – Actor

David Duchovny – Actor

Sandy Duncan – Actress

Christine Ebersole – Actress

Kenneth “Babyface” Edmonds – Singer

Missy Elliott – Singer

Nora Ephron – Director

Gloria Estefan – Singer

Melissa Etheridge – Singer

Mia Farrow – Actress

Mike Farrell – Actor

Carrie Fisher – Actress

Sally Field – Actress

Doug Flutie – NFL player

Fannie Flagg – Actress

Jane Fonda – Actress

Jodie Foster – Actress

Rick Fox – NBA Player

Andy Garcia – Actor

Art Garfunkel – Singer

Geraldo – TV personality

Richard Gere – Actor

Kathie Lee Gifford – TV personality

Paul Glaser – TV director

Brad Gooch – Writer

Elliott Gould – Actor

Louis Gossett, Jr. – Actor

Michael Gross – Actor

Nancy Lee Grahn – Actress

Bryant Gumbel – TV Personality

Deidra Hall – Actress

Ethan Hawke – Actor

Mariette Hartley – Actress

Mark Harmon – Actor

Anne Heche – Actress

Howard Hessman – Actor

Marilu Henner – Actress

Dustin Hoffman – Actor

Hal Holbrook – Actor*

Helen Hunt – Actress

Grace-Lynne Ingle – Actress

John Ingle – Actor

Francesca James – TV Producer

Norman Jewison – Director

Lainie Kazan – Actress

Richard Karn – Actor

Jeffrey Katzenberg – Producer

Barry Kemp – TV Producer

David E. Kelley – TV Producer

Diane Keaton – Actress

Margaret Kemp – Interior Designer

Chaka Khan – Singer

Coreta Scott King – Activist

Kevin Kline – Actor

Michael E. Knight – Actor

Jonathan Kozol – Writer

William Kovacs – Director

Lenny Kravits – Singer

Lisa Kudrow – Actress

Wally Kurth – Actor

Christine Lahti – Actress

k.d. lang – Singer

Ricki Lake – TV personality

Denis Leary – Actor

John Leguizamo – Actor

Norman Lear – TV Producer

Spike Lee – Director

Hal Linden – Actor

Lisa Linde – Actress

Tara Lipinski – Former Olympian

Keyshawn Johnson – NFL player

Rob Lowe – Actor

Amanda Marshall – Singer

Barry Manilow – Singer

Camryn Manheim – Actress

Howie Mandel – Actor

Kyle MacLachlan – Actor

Madonna – Singer

Marla Maples – Actress

Marsha Mason – Actress*

Mase – Singer

Penny Marshall – Director

Prema Mathai-Davis – YWCA Official

John McDaniel – Musician

John McEnroe – Athlete

Brian McKnight – Musician

Natalie Merchant – Singer

Bette Midler – Singer

Shane Minor – Musician

Mary Tyler Moore – Actress

Michael Moore – Film Maker

Norval Morris – Law Professor

Mike Myers – Actor

N Sync – Music group

Kathy Najimy – Actress

Jack Nicholson – Actor

Leonard Nimoy – Actor

Mike Nichols – Director

Stephen Nichols – Actor

Rosie O`Donnel l- Actress/Talk Show Host

Jennifer O Neill – Actress

Julia Ormond – Actress

Jane Pauley – TV Personality

Sarah Jessica Parker – Actress

Mandy Patinkin – Actor

Richard North Patterson – Writer

Rhea Perlman- Actress

Michelle Pfieffer – Actress

Sydney Pollack – Director

Aidan Quinn – Actor

Colin Quinn – Actor

Dennis Quaid – Actor

Elizabeth Bracco Quinn – Actress

Bonnie Raitt – Singer

Debbie Reynolds – Actress

Mary Lou Retton – Former Olympian

Paul Reiser – Actor

Peter Reckell – Actor

Rob Reiner – Actor/Director

Robert Redford – Actor/Director

Anne Rice – Writer

Cathy Rigby – Actress

Julia Roberts – Actress

Marc Rosen – TV Producer

Tim Robbins – Actor

Tim Roth – Actor

Renee Russo – Actress

Robin Ruzan – Wife of Mike Myers

Meg Ryan – Actress

Susan Sarandon – Actress

Jerry Seinfeld – Actor

Kyra Sedgwick – Actress

Martin Sheen – Actor

Russell Simmons – Record Producer

Neil Simon – Playwright*

Louise Sorel – Actress

Mira Sorvino – Actress

Rena Sofer – Actress

Britney Spears – Singer

Bruce Springsteen – Singer

Kevin Spirtas – Actor

Barbra Streisand – Singer

David Steinberg – Director

Sylvester Stallone – Actor

Harry Dean Stanton – Actor

Meryl Streep – Actress

Patrick Stewart – Actor

Sharon Stone – Actress

Sting – Singer

Trudie Styler – Actress

Jonathan Taylor Thomas – Actor

The Temptations – Pop Group

Vinny Testaverde – NFL player

Marlo Thomas – Actress*

Uma Thurman – Actress

Steve Tisch – Producer

Mike Torrez – Former Baseball player

Shania Twain – Singer

Dick Van Dyke – Actor

Eli Wallach – Actor*

Ruth Warrick – Actress

Harvey Weinstein – Producer

Jann Wenner – Publisher

Sigourney Weaver – Actress

Victor Webster – Actor

James Whitmore – Actor*

Andy Williams – Singer*

Kelli Williams – Actress

Henry Winkler – Actor

Oprah Winfrey – Entertainer

Rita Wilson – Actress

Vanessa Williams – Singer

Herman Wouk – Author

Joanne Woodward – Actress*

Peter Yarrow – Singer

Catherine Zeta-Jones – Actress

Ahmet Zappa -Actor

Diva Zappa -Actress

Dweezil Zappa – Musician

Gail Zappa -

Moon Zappa -Actress

GOPHER SLAYER
10-01-2012, 05:36 PM
I think it was Jill Clayburg who shot herself about twenty years ago while playing with her 38 revolver. I never did believe that nonsense about Mister Rogers being a Marine sniper. I did hear that Pee Wee Herman was part of Delta Force and a viscious attack dog he was too.

gandydancer
10-01-2012, 06:02 PM
go to the audie Murphy website for the correct information on Mr Murphy. also he had over 25 films under his belt before doing his life story him self. and the marines turned him down because he was to small.

And don't forget Wayne Morris an actor from the 30's 40's 50's who was a WW 11 ace credited with 7 Jap plains and aided in the sinking of 5 ships.

shooter93
10-01-2012, 06:15 PM
Keep in mind there are 10's of thousands of actors and actresses and very few well known ones. To lump them all together is the sort of the thing feeding fuel to the other side helping to portray gun owners as narrow minded bigoted people. James Garner and a few others on the list believed in "certain" gun control measures. People who hate guns don't bother me a bit. If they CHOOSE not to own or be around them....fine.....the problem I have with them is when they decide I should have them either.

Hickory
10-01-2012, 06:25 PM
I did not see Lee Marvin mentioned there.
Update; I did not see page 2.

waynem34
10-01-2012, 08:54 PM
Mr Eddie Albert,Mr Lee Marvin.Laughing now ,I didnt see post #23

Blammer
10-01-2012, 09:16 PM
44man it's Captain Kangaroo

1Shirt
10-01-2012, 09:28 PM
To add my 2 cents to this: There was a lot of flag wave patriotism in the WWII Hollywood types. Don't see an over abundance of that from most of the current crop!
1Shirt!:coffee:

jcwit
10-01-2012, 09:59 PM
Lee Marvin & Bob Kreeshan

http://www.snopes.com/military/celebrities/leemarvin.asp

lcclower
10-01-2012, 10:12 PM
Jimmy Stewart flew B-17's over Germany in WWII, stayed in the AAC/USAF reserves and retired as a 1-star.
Snuffy Smith (CMOH) was on KP when MacArthur showed up to pin the medal on him.
Good garrison soldiers are not, for the most part, good war fighters.

bubba15301
10-01-2012, 11:14 PM
I do not remember the mans name. He was an actor on TV, a children's show. One of the most decorated men ever, a true hero. Nobody knew.
We have had a few good people there but most have died off and there are just few left.
Junior and Dean make a point, today is different. None of the real men would put up with Obama.
Sorry, I see faces, names escape me but not what they did. Not what they believed in.
Now we have Kommyfornia. The largest BS state ever that should slide into the deep. God knew when he called all the liberals to live at the largest fault line on earth.

that was bob keeshon- captain kangaroo on tv

jcwit
10-02-2012, 10:45 AM
While Bob Keeshon was a very good man and did lots for children, he never was a war hero. He enlisted in ther U.S. Marine Corps Reserve and was still in the states when Japan surrendered.

Not sure who you're thinking of, but Bob is not the man.

For those who need a link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Keeshan

mac60
10-02-2012, 05:34 PM
I don't know about "all actors" being crazy liberals, but that Alec Baldwin is about the sorriest excuse for a man I ever saw - the mere sight of that guy disgusts me. - Sorry didn't read the second page before I posted. That "hate guns" list covers a lot of ground as far as actors go. There are several names there (Matt Damon, Eli Wallach) who won't hesitate to use one in a movie though.

wgr
10-02-2012, 05:56 PM
go to the audie Murphy website for the correct information on Mr Murphy. also he had over 25 films under his belt before doing his life story him self. and the marines turned him down because he was to small.

And don't forget Wayne Morris an actor from the 30's 40's 50's who was a WW 11 ace credited with 7 Jap plains and aided in the sinking of 5 ships.

Audie Murphy was a actor before the war. they just would not let him play tough bad guys.Said he was to small. John Wayne was never in the military he was told that he was more important to the war here selling bonds and things. he said it was one of the more troubling things in his life.

jcwit
10-02-2012, 06:15 PM
Audie Murphy was a actor before the war. they just would not let him play tough bad guys.Said he was to small. John Wayne was never in the military he was told that he was more important to the war here selling bonds and things. he said it was one of the more troubling things in his life.

Audie was invited to Hollywood in Sept 1945 by James Cagney, and he finally received token acting parts in 1948, long after WW2.

His first film for Universal was in 1950 in which he played Billy the Kid.

For those who need a link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audie_Murphy

There you go!

Hamish
10-02-2012, 07:21 PM
Just this morning I heard it out of Ron Howard's own mouth that he took the Happy Day's role to keep from having to register for the draft.

eric123
10-02-2012, 08:18 PM
Ted Nugent's story about dodging is fairly comical...

MT Gianni
10-02-2012, 10:51 PM
To add my 2 cents to this: There was a lot of flag wave patriotism in the WWII Hollywood types. Don't see an over abundance of that from most of the current crop!
1Shirt!:coffee:

IMO, Patriotism was fashionable and sold movies then. Hating guns is fashionable to the producers, writers and studio heads so that gets them employed and in the public eye. It is easy to find uninformed people lacking integrity in all walks of life.

fatnhappy
10-03-2012, 01:50 AM
Walter Ehlers is not known like Audie Murphy, but you'd best come to attention and render respect to the man. He fought in North Africa, Sicily and was a SSG when he landed at Omaha. His twin Brother never made it off the beach.
He was in the movie the Long Gray Line directed by the legendary John Ford.

Staff Sergeant Ehlers' official Medal of Honor citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty on 9–10 June 1944, near Goville, France. S/Sgt. Ehlers, always acting as the spearhead of the attack, repeatedly led his men against heavily defended enemy strong points exposing himself to deadly hostile fire whenever the situation required heroic and courageous leadership. Without waiting for an order, S/Sgt. Ehlers, far ahead of his men, led his squad against a strongly defended enemy strong point, personally killing 4 of an enemy patrol who attacked him en route. Then crawling forward under withering machinegun fire, he pounced upon the guncrew and put it out of action. Turning his attention to 2 mortars protected by the crossfire of 2 machineguns, S/Sgt. Ehlers led his men through this hail of bullets to kill or put to flight the enemy of the mortar section, killing 3 men himself. After mopping up the mortar positions, he again advanced on a machinegun, his progress effectively covered by his squad. When he was almost on top of the gun he leaped to his feet and, although greatly outnumbered, he knocked out the position single-handed. The next day, having advanced deep into enemy territory, the platoon of which S/Sgt. Ehlers was a member, finding itself in an untenable position as the enemy brought increased mortar, machinegun, and small arms fire to bear on it, was ordered to withdraw. S/Sgt. Ehlers, after his squad had covered the withdrawal of the remainder of the platoon, stood up and by continuous fire at the semicircle of enemy placements, diverted the bulk of the heavy hostile fire on himself, thus permitting the members of his own squad to withdraw. At this point, though wounded himself, he carried his wounded automatic rifleman to safety and then returned fearlessly over the shell-swept field to retrieve the automatic rifle which he was unable to carry previously. After having his wound treated, he refused to be evacuated, and returned to lead his squad. The intrepid leadership, indomitable courage, and fearless aggressiveness displayed by S/Sgt. Ehlers in the face of overwhelming enemy forces serve as an inspiration to others.

BTW, if you ever watch the movie it opens with the cadet choir, the cadet all the way to the lower left is my father.

Rick N Bama
10-03-2012, 03:08 PM
Just this morning I heard it out of Ron Howard's own mouth that he took the Happy Day's role to keep from having to register for the draft.

How did that kept him from having to register for the draft?

Thanks,

Rick

Plate plinker
10-03-2012, 03:23 PM
That "hate guns" list covers a lot of ground as far as actors go. There are several names there (Matt Damon, Eli Wallach) who won't hesitate to use one in a movie though.[/QUOTE]

Cannt stands that myself. Two faced jerks.

wgr
10-03-2012, 05:50 PM
That "hate guns" list covers a lot of ground as far as actors go. There are several names there (Matt Damon, Eli Wallach) who won't hesitate to use one in a movie though.

Cannt stands that myself. Two faced jerks.[/QUOTE]

i saw jane fonda,s name there as actress. That,s not what i would have put. sorry could,nt help myself

Alchemist
10-06-2012, 10:30 PM
Didn't see him mentioned yet, but James Arness (Marshall Dillon on "Gunsmoke") was one of the first to land at Anzio during WWII. The story I read stated that he went off the landing craft first because he was taller than the rest, and he "gauged" the water depth.

DRNurse1
10-07-2012, 12:17 AM
Bob Keeshan was Captain Kangaroo

wallenba
10-07-2012, 12:36 AM
More.... Neville Brand, (severely wounded in combat) Charles Durning (invasion of Normandy)
Eddie Albert (Bronze star for valour at Tarawa). Tyrone Power (Marine Corps pilot)

Heck, it's a long list, so I looked up this. http://jodavidsmeyer.com/combat/military/actors_in_wwii.html

And no....Rock Hudson is not on the list.

gandydancer
10-07-2012, 10:42 PM
Audie Murphy was never an actor before the war. where you got that information from beats me.with his sister signing for him he joined up just after his 17 birthday. and received the medal of Honor just after his 19 birthday. and like JCWIT said Audie was invited to Hollywood in Sept 1945 by and signed to a contract by James Cagney, and he finally received token acting parts in 1948, long after WW2.

Hamish
10-07-2012, 11:14 PM
How did that kept him from having to register for the draft?

Thanks,

Rick

The way he told it, there was an exemption if being drafted negatively effected at least 30 peoples employment, and he said he came up with 51.

MT Gianni
10-08-2012, 12:03 PM
Ron Howard lists his birthdate as March, 54. He would have had to register within a few months of his 18th Birthday in 1972. The last Draft class taken was in 73, Happy Days first episode was Jan 74. All info above from wixpedia or IMdB. He had to register for the draft legally, he may have been exempted out. He may not care enough to know the difference.

alamogunr
10-08-2012, 12:17 PM
In the years 1965-1968, right after college, I worked for a company that supplied the military or its suppliers with transportation equipment. It was an old company, especially the age of its employees. Those in my profession(Industrial Engineering) were retiring regularly. The personnel office requested permission to apply for an occupational deferment for me. I gave permission. I consider myself as patriotic and conservative as the next person but I don't feel guilty about this.

I'm sure that there will be those who disagree. Yes, it would be nice to have military service attached to my, now useless, resume'.

felix
10-08-2012, 12:46 PM
Nope. Don't disagree one iota. I got an appointment to an academy while being a junior in high school. An all day physical was done at Scott AB, East St. Louis area. Flunked it, and I knew something was wrong when they x-rayed my stomach twice about 5 hours apart. GI both ways on the second go-around. Less than one year later I was in the hospital getting my ileum and colon re-sectioned. They called it ileitis then, but it is known as Crohn's disease today. Here's the bad part. The politicians wanted the Scott records and was totally refused, even after a court order to do so. Based on the unpleasant experience during that whole period, my St. Louis doctors had absolutely no problem in getting a 4F medical deferment from Mrs. St. Clair, my draftboard boss in New Madrid. Now, the good part. Six years later I was paid big time to do military war gaming at Fort Leavenworth in the KC area. What goes around comes around. Good one day, bad the next. It's nothing but the vicious cycle of life. ... felix

richhodg66
10-08-2012, 08:01 PM
Jimmy Stewart flew B-17's over Germany in WWII, stayed in the AAC/USAF reserves and retired as a 1-star.
Snuffy Smith (CMOH) was on KP when MacArthur showed up to pin the medal on him.
Good garrison soldiers are not, for the most part, good war fighters.

He actually flew B 24s, not 17s but the point is well taken. He is my favorite actor and I've read a couple of biographies on him including one on just his war experiences.

It's also not widely publicized, but as a one star, he commanded a bombing raid over north Vietnam (can't remember if they were B-52s or B-47s at the moment). I'm sure that raid command was out of respect for him and theer was some LTC running things, but he was in the aircraft over a combat zone. Brave man. Good man.

He also lost a son who was a Marine Corps platoon leader KIA in Vietnam.