PDA

View Full Version : Impact slug - really confused

brotherdarrell
09-30-2012, 10:33 PM
I have recently trying to get my crooked chambered 7tcu contender to shoot. I know, it is probably a futile endeavor but I have it so I had to give it a try. So far results are mixed.

I realized pretty quick that the crown needed attention as it had a nice thick layer of armor alloy, the gunsmith took care of that. I have two sizer dies, one expander gives a inside diameter of .280" and the other .282". I tried three different alloys and all seemed to shoot 'about' the same. The barrel slugs a hair over .284" as measure on a micrometer. Fired cases have an inside diameter of .289" as measured with a Starret caliper. I figured an impact slug would tell me a lot. This is where the confusion comes into play. My apologies for the blurry pic, my camera is old, but I think it shows my confusion.
http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff489/brotherdarrell/DSC00370.jpg?t=1349056673

A couple of notes:

The throat on the slug measure a consistant .287" which my soupcan will accomodate and I can get a Lee push-through and open it up.

The loaded round is seated to just touch the rifling (on one side as it is a crooked chamber)

The portion in front of the case mics @ .314", about the same as the o.d. of a fired case, and measures 'about' .085" in length.

The case used for the impact slug and the empty are both fire-formed, and un-sized.

I can be a glutton for punishment, but is this Contender a complete waste of my time?

thanks to all

brotherdarrell

stubshaft
09-30-2012, 11:50 PM
What size is the spud on your "M" die?

brotherdarrell
10-01-2012, 12:08 AM
What size is the spud on your "M" die?

No m-die as of yet. Yesterday I seated a boolit sized .285" in a case using sizer that gives me i.d. on neck of .282". I pulled the boolit w/ hammer type puller and boolit still measured .285". I am using a Bonanza b.r. seater die.

brotherdarrell

brotherdarrell
10-01-2012, 12:18 AM
Of course, with a throat that measures .287" opening the neck up may be needed.

Is there an m-die that will go that high?

brotherdarrell

brotherdarrell
10-01-2012, 03:42 PM
..ttt...