PDA

View Full Version : H&I die question.

adrians
09-30-2012, 08:30 PM
I got this set in a box-o-stuff from a show, i haven't used it yet, i don't have any boolits cast up yet ,,,,but was wondering if anyone could tell me what it's size is ?

All it has stamped on it is Eagan 24-T, was wondering if it's a custom set or off the shelf.
I'm hoping to use it in my .243 ( if it isn't too small..).
Love the little "o" ring on the "I" ejector rod.
Thanks for any info ,,:p

I'll Make Mine
09-30-2012, 08:40 PM
Simple way to check is to size a boolit and then measure it with a micrometer or dial/digital caliper.

adrians
09-30-2012, 08:49 PM
yer i know but my sizer is set up for something else right now and i don't have any boolits cast up yet ,
just have to do as you suggest.:bigsmyl2:

theperfessor
09-30-2012, 09:01 PM
Know anybody with a set of pin gauges? That would get you to the nearest .001 or so. But really, the only way you will really know what size it makes your bullets is to size a bullet. Bullets will always spring back a little.

Check a local machine shop or votech school.

theperfessor
09-30-2012, 09:07 PM
Does that have any lube holes? Hard to tell from photos.

Could you set die straight up on metal plate, pour a little molten lead in it, and expand it out a little with impact when it shrinks. Push out the slug and measure.

adrians
09-30-2012, 09:23 PM
Does that have any lube holes? Hard to tell from photos.

Could you set die straight up on metal plate, pour a little molten lead in it, and expand it out a little with impact when it shrinks. Push out the slug and measure.

No holes whatsoever , you know i didn't think about holes till you just asked HUH,,,,, guess it's not a lube sizer :confused:.

now the lead pour test is a doable for me ,,I'll try that in the morning, well after work anyhow.
Thanks perfessor..

km101
09-30-2012, 11:45 PM
It doesn't look like a lube/sizer die. Maybe a push through sizer?

Use the ID points on a dial caliper to measure top and bottom. That should get you within .001.

Piedmont
10-01-2012, 01:22 AM
That is a taper die. Don Eagan made them (deceased). It tapers the front of your bullet if you are having trouble with chambering. I wish I had bought one or two from him. I would guess it is caliber specific, but don't know that. You lubrisize your bullet before running it into the taper die.

adrians
10-01-2012, 07:28 AM
That is a taper die. Don Eagan made them (deceased). It tapers the front of your bullet if you are having trouble with chambering. I wish I had bought one or two from him. I would guess it is caliber specific, but don't know that. You lubrisize your bullet before running it into the taper die.

That sounds right, i dropped a Hornady 6mm j-word down in it and it lodged halfway down, where as the 6mm dropped right through my RCBS .244 die ( as it should ,the J's are .243),,, interesting,

OH it just hit me the stamp is 24-T,,,, T for tapered??????
thanks fellas.