PDA

View Full Version : Hi all, another new guy here

Idaho Mule
09-30-2012, 03:59 PM
Have been a lurker at this wonderful site for quite a while, finally got myself smart enough to join in on the fun. I must say there is a VAST amount of knowledge and experience here and I surely do appreciate it. I started casting myself a couple yrs. ago, have been a handloader for over 40 yrs, but am definitely a newbie at casting.Should add that I am having a blast at this boolit casting stuff too, it is just plain FUN!! I teach hunter ed, been a hunter all my life, ran a pack string of mules (and a few horses) for over 20 yrs. here in the great state of Idaho and I hope I may be able to help someone here as you have all helped me

gon2shoot
09-30-2012, 04:04 PM
Welcome, the available knowledge on this board is fantastic. I've been casting and loading for right at 40 years and am constantly learning new stuff from guys here. (your previous experience with mules might help you sort through some things lol).

Olevern
09-30-2012, 04:07 PM
Welcome aboard and pull up a chair and join in some conversation.
Great to welcome new members aboard. We can learn from each other, as you most certainly know some stuff I don't and conversly, perhaps I can help you on other issues. Looking forward to your contributions to the board.

theperfessor
09-30-2012, 04:13 PM
Welcome. Lots of folks with lots of experiences to share here. It's addictive though.

Smitty's Retired
09-30-2012, 05:40 PM
Welcome. I don't think you find any other place with as friendly a group of people as here. Tons of info, and lots to read and learn. I look foward to some of your posts and shared experiences. Like the old saying goes ....... None of Us are as smart as all of us.

x101airborne
09-30-2012, 06:00 PM
Welcome.... Welcome.... Welcome.....
Thanks for coming on board. Glad to have you and look forward to hearing some of your stories. Thanks for joining.
Trey

bearcove
09-30-2012, 06:04 PM
Welcome, Now you can reap the real Savings of reloading. Well, for a while then it sort takes on a life of its own.

Rod

DCM
09-30-2012, 11:20 PM
(your previous experience with mules might help you sort through some things lol).

LOL YUP! (Applies to yours truly at times too)

Welcome to castboolits!

Slow Elk 45/70
09-30-2012, 11:30 PM
Welcome ID Mule, glad to have you aboard.Now quit LURKING and participate,
in the insanity .:drinks:[smilie=w:

Idaho Mule
10-01-2012, 12:07 AM
Thanks so much folks, I am glad to be here. I have to confess tho, I do have a aLOT of experience with hunting, killing and buthchering various critters, both big and small, I am totally illiterate at this computer stuff. Please bear with me and lend a hand if you see me stumbling or doing something wrong, trust me, I would do the same for you. OK, enough BS, mother (my wife) and I went on a short little chicken (grouse) hunting adventure this evening and I finally got one. They are few and far between in Northern Idaho this year--- we had a wet and long spring. Any way I made a pretty good shot, 56 paces, base of neck, head fell off, chicken dead. Used my MARLIN 1894 IN 357 with RCBS 158CM, cast of #2 alloy at 1500 fps. It seemed to do a good job, although I could'nt recover the bullet.

Dean D.
10-01-2012, 03:49 AM
Welcome to Cast Boolits Idaho Mule! This is the best casting site on the net, bar none.

It sounds like we are relative neighbors, I live over in Newport, WA (originally from Sandpoint, ID). Dad's family outfitted down in the Selway in the early and mid 50's.

Grouse have been rare here these past few years too. I think the introduction of wild turkeys has a lot to do with that. I have turkeys running out my ears here and they pretty much dominate the feed sources. They do taste good though!

Once again, welcome!

sav300
10-01-2012, 07:59 AM
ID mule,welcome

captaint
10-01-2012, 10:13 AM
Welcome Idaho Mule - I had handloaded too for about 40 years when I joined up here. Thought I knew about all there was to know about that. Well - happily, I've picked up quite a few tricks and things since then. AND, casting boolits is way fun !! Now that I cast my own, if I had to just load up J words, that would be, as they say, "just assembling components". enjoy Mike

Echo
10-01-2012, 10:25 AM
Welcome, ID Mule. I had an idea to buy a summer home in (or near) Kellog - did a job there, and it looked good to me. Never did, and kind of regret it (every monsoon season!). I, too, reloaded for many years before getting into casting - then a few years ago I found this forum, and my casting is improving daily. I'm sure your experience will mirror mine. Glad you are aboard.

MtGun44
10-01-2012, 02:27 PM
Welcome, enjoy the fun. Lots of folks here that have helped me and will help
you, no doubt.

Bill