PDA

View Full Version : Lead at school

Revolver
09-30-2012, 10:04 AM
My whole family knows I'm lead crazy, and I have taught my kids well about lead safety.

My 11 year old daughter came home from school last week and told me a story. They were learning about mass. Evidently the teacher produced a piece of foam and a roll of lead for the kids to handle.

A student asked the teacher, "Shouldn't we wash our hands after touching lead?" and the teacher told them they could if they wanted to.

I realize a one time lead encounter would probably never bother those kids since don't touch lead a lot like we do, but I think it's humorous that the kids seemed more concerned about safety than the adult.

;-)

OBIII
09-30-2012, 11:24 AM
It does not surprise me. But it would have even been better if your daughter had looked at it, hefted it, and said something like, if we add 1oz of solder we could probably get 6 168 grainers out of this.

:-D

OB

WILCO
09-30-2012, 10:57 PM
But it would have even been better if your daughter had looked at it, hefted it, and said something like, if we add 1oz of solder we could probably get 6 168 grainers out of this.

That would've gotten her a trip to the office and a visit from the school shrink.

DCM
09-30-2012, 11:12 PM
Before all the excess P.C. junk a friend took his son to a boyscout camp.
They had archery and 22s etc.
His dad is quite an avid shooter, reloader, hunter etc.
Someone asked the son if he knew anything about firearms, his reply was yes what do you need to know?? :grin::grin:

Made the old guy proud! He wasn't that old back then though.

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-01-2012, 07:37 AM
A student asked the teacher, "Shouldn't we wash our hands after touching lead?" and the teacher told them they could if they wanted to.

A perfect teaching/learning opportunity, and the teacher wasted it.
Yeah, I realize she, more than likely, has no clue.
Maybe the parent should inform the teacher.
Jon

Silvercreek Farmer
10-01-2012, 09:46 AM
My wife borrowed some of my lead to show her chemistry class. I had her put it in a ziplock bag.

Revolver
10-01-2012, 09:51 AM
My wife borrowed some of my lead to show her chemistry class. I had her put it in a ziplock bag.

Did you make her leave collateral? ;-)

bob208
10-01-2012, 10:05 AM
and to think when i was in school the woodshop and machineshop teacher had a shared office. in that office there was a bench. anybody cought screwing around got to spend an hour or two setting at the bench casting bullits. mostiy .38 wadcutters.

yes that is where i learned to cast.

Revolver
10-01-2012, 10:11 AM
and to think when i was in school the woodshop and machineshop teacher had a shared office. in that office there was a bench. anybody cought screwing around got to spend an hour or two setting at the bench casting bullits. mostiy .38 wadcutters.

yes that is where i learned to cast.

That's fantastic!

1Shirt
10-01-2012, 10:13 AM
We had a rifle range indoor at our school (AND----this was in Western N.Y.). The asst. principal was a shooter, and caster, and shot frequently on this range along with the school small bore shooters. That was removed probably 40 years ago now. Back then, a lot of students hunted with teachers. But then there was no teachers unions back then either.
1Shirt!

Revolver
10-01-2012, 10:16 AM
1Shirt,

I was just about to say that I am pretty sure my High School had a small indoor shooting range in the JROTC area. Never thought of that until now, almost 20 years later. I wonder if they have mothballed it because guns are bad.

Echo
10-01-2012, 10:31 AM
Did you make her leave collateral? ;-)

The collateral is implied...

frkelly74
10-01-2012, 11:03 AM
One of my daughters friends came over for fun one day and we all went to the range to look around and found some lead boolits laying around so I picked them up and put them in my coat pocket. She noticed this and asked if that was lead and I said yes. "Isn't lead toxic?" she said and I said "Oh yes, it's toxic, Don't eat any" . We all washed our hands when we got home.