PDA

View Full Version : A young man & a new rifle

Jim
09-30-2012, 08:41 AM
Not long after I moved to Floyd, I met a young man that kinda' took up with me. At the time (2009), he was 18. Like me, he loves to fish, hunt and shoot. He's a good boy, says 'yes sir' and 'no ma'am', his hair is cut and his backside don't stick out of his britches. He calls Janet 'Moma' and calls me 'Pappy'.

Recently, he expressed an interest in acquiring a new rifle. I got a good friend that is very knowledgeable to assist me in coaching this young man in choosing a caliber. .243 was settled on and my young friend started saving his dimes and nickels toward this.

He came over the other day, got out of his truck with a black plastic gun case and, smiling like somebody had hit him across the face with a machete', he said "Got somethin' to show ya', Pappy!"

He opened the case to reveal a brand new Mossberg bolt action in .243 fitted with a 6X18X54 parralax adjustable mill dot Tasco. He picked it up, opened the bolt, handed it to me and asked "Think this will work?"

I'm taking him to the 'coon club property this morning to help him zero it on the hundred yard range. I love doin' stuff like that. I'm takin' my camera, so I'll post some photos when I get back and get 'em processed.

fishnbob
09-30-2012, 08:57 AM
I always said, "take a youngster hunting & fishing and you won't ever have to hunt them down and fish through their pockets to see what they have on them."
Good job, Jim & Janet, we need more like you!

LUCKYDAWG13
09-30-2012, 09:37 AM
Kid's that Hunt and fish Don't Mug Old Ladies

**oneshot**
09-30-2012, 10:40 AM
That is just Awesome!! Have fun at the range, maybe he'll even let you shoot it.

canyon-ghost
09-30-2012, 10:47 AM
Tell him Congratulations on the new rifle for me. He'll have a good time with that. A .243 is a rifle you see in the hands of a lot of experienced hunters. My Dad used one for years to hunt deer, it never failed him. He recently passed it down to my nephew who is 14.
I've considered a 243 for my own use, wouldn't mind one at all. Good Choice.

Ron

Firebricker
09-30-2012, 11:22 AM
Jim, I've got a half a coffee can of .243 brass a lot of it was formed from .308 If you can put it to use I'll send it to you. FB

RKJ
09-30-2012, 11:32 AM
Good on you Jim (and your wife & friends that helped this young man), that rifle will bring a smile to all of you for many years.

Jim
09-30-2012, 12:48 PM
Jim, I've got a half a coffee can of .243 brass a lot of it was formed from .308 If you can put it to use I'll send it to you. FB

Yes Sir, we sure can use it!

I told Scotty I'd work up a price for him on dies, brass and a coupla diffent styles of bullets. That brass will take a lot out of that equation!

PM incoming and thanks!

nicholst55
09-30-2012, 01:36 PM
Yes Sir, we sure can use it!

I told Scotty I'd work up a price for him on dies, brass and a coupla diffent styles of bullets. That brass will take a lot out of that equation!

PM incoming and thanks!

If I can remember it, I'll keep my eyes open for .243 brass for you. In my travels (travails?) I frequently come across odd lots of brass, and I don't own a .243. Yet. I'm thinking that one would make a mighty fine coyote rifle, but my AR-15 Carbine will have to do for now.

Jim
09-30-2012, 02:08 PM
Fellas, y'all don't know how much I appreciate the help. I didn't post the story to solicit help, I posted it 'cause I just thought y'all would be interested, that's all.

I do very much appreciate the generosity being shown, though. It means the world to me that y'all would throw in with me to help get this young man started.

He's so proud of his new rifle and wants me to show him how to handload for it. I told him no problem, we'll make it happen! Besides, I get a big kick out of watching a new shooter put little holes in a piece of paper that can be covered with a 50 cent piece!

Jim
09-30-2012, 02:31 PM
We took the rifle out to the 'coon club range, set up my lead sled on my shooting table and bore sighted it. The first shot was the one an inch high of the bull. Never did that before!

I think the rifle will do better, but it could have been 'first gun' jitters, too. In any case, I think he did well on the first five shots.

He wanted to know if I would take a picture of his target and show it to the men the gun forum. I told him "They'd hunt me down if I didn't!" :bigsmyl2:

I incorrectly dated the target for October instead of September.

http://floydpics.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/dscn1179-e1349029406996.jpg

Olevern
09-30-2012, 03:44 PM
For a new shooter with a new rifle, great 100 yd group! I know you will work on the loads and get it shootin even better. Good on you, Jim for being a mentor in the shooting sports. We all should be.
vern

Mike in TX
09-30-2012, 04:00 PM
Jim
PM me. I have a set of Lee Pacesetter 243 die that I bought because they were a good price. They came out of the Cave at Cabela's. It has a shell holder, FL and seating die and a FCD. I will be on its way as soon as I get your PM.

You have done GREAT.

I have a close friend that lives in Ferum. I think that is close to you.

Mike B

Jim
09-30-2012, 04:27 PM
Y'all beginnin' to understand why I'm not a member of any other forums?

smoked turkey
09-30-2012, 05:08 PM
Jim good for you. What a wonderful gift you are giving to this young man in the way of your time and experience. The others that are offering brass and dies makes me proud of this place. Wish I had something to contribute. You are a good influence on him and are setting him up for a lifetime of pleasure with his new rifle. The .243 is a good choice.

Smitty's Retired
09-30-2012, 05:15 PM
Good going Jim!!

There is no better time spent, than to help pass on this hobby of ours to a young person. Not only in the safe handling and improving on accuracy in shooting, but also to learn to responsibly reload for for his own rifle. These are things that keep our heritage in gun ownership and hunting alive. Not only are you helping build character in this young man, but also building many happy memories for him and yourself alike.

Smitty

Firebricker
09-30-2012, 06:36 PM
Looks like a good start so you can bet on them groups shrinking. Glad to see got him headed in the right direction. FB

1Shirt
09-30-2012, 07:05 PM
Good on you Jim, the young need mentors!
1shirt!

Artful
09-30-2012, 07:21 PM
Jim, good choice for first rifle - my 243 tends to like slower burning stick powders 4064 thru 4831 and groups best with 80 to 100 grain bullets. I don't cast for mine just use J-word. Be aware that smaller bored large capacity cased rounds can eat a throat quickly if you rapid fire it.

For larger/tougher game animals I like the Nosler brand bullets, for smaller varmint most any 80 grain pill seems to make red mist. Have some respect for that little pill, as I use mine for 1000 yard shooting - just have to watch the wind.

Y2K
09-30-2012, 08:17 PM
Jim,when I get home this weekend, I will check to confirm I have some .243 J-words. PMme an address and I will ship what I have. Y2K

Jim
09-30-2012, 08:46 PM
Thank you!!!

Mike in TX
10-01-2012, 05:15 PM
Die set in the mail. Have fun.

Mike B

Jim
10-01-2012, 07:03 PM
Thanks, Mike. You're a good guy.

429421Cowboy
10-02-2012, 02:16 AM
Jim, as a young guy, all i can say is you have no idea what the things you are doing with this young man means (or. more likely, you know exactly!). It means so much to have someone helping you along and encouraging your progress. God bless you and Miss Janet!

Could this young man be interested in joining our community here at CB?

Jim
10-02-2012, 07:44 AM
I expect him over here in a day or two. I'm going to show him the thread and let him join and post if he wants to. I got an idea he will. If he doesn't want to join, I'll let him post under my name.