PDA

View Full Version : Firearms industry career advice

historicfirearms
09-29-2012, 01:44 PM
I earned a BS in mechanical engineering in the late 90's. While in college I had a friend who was a flight instructor and he got me interested in flying. After I graduated I went on to get a commercial pilot license and have been trying to make a living in aviation since then. It has not been an easy path to follow, the industry is very cut-throat and cyclical. Pay is poor and home life suffers from all the time away. Lately I have been wishing I would have just stuck with engineering as a career. I have been out of college for 12 years and have no engineering experience in that time, so it would be almost impossible for me to get a job as an engineer right now. I applied, and got accepted to an engineering graduate program, but now I am trying to figure out if the $30K plus cost will be worth it.

I would really love to get a job in the firearms industry as an engineer. Is anyone here an engineer with a firearms related career? Any advice you would give to someone wanting to get into the industry? I'm interested in a stable, well paying career to provide for my two young kids.

Doc Highwall
09-29-2012, 04:00 PM
A friend of mine worked for Marlin as an engineer and it was keeping him busy.
Then Remington bought them and installed computers that told them what the production rate was, and every time it slowed down they would call from N.Y., and ask what the problem was. They had it timed down to the second as to how long it took to make a gun.

When Marlin moved down south he refused to go and retired instead. Too much B.S. he said.

Years ago 1975 I worked for Dan Wesson Arms and was in charge of the bluing room and it was a fast paced work environment back then, and has not changed one bit at all. Work like a robot except your parts is not easily replaced.

felix
09-29-2012, 04:37 PM
Find a job that you are comfortable with in ALL respects, and take whatever pay they offer. Gradually think about other jobs when the job you have gets "too easy". ... felix

Blacksmith
09-29-2012, 09:19 PM
Any Engineering job is tough to get without related experience in that industry because there are to many "unwritten rules" you can't learn in a book. You will probably have to start at the bottom but with other work experience you will climb faster than a "fresh-out". You might have better luck in aircraft engineering where your experience will be more help, how about cockpit design or control systems.

Retired engineer.

waksupi
09-30-2012, 01:07 AM
If you are going into the gun trade, specialize. That isn't good in the long term, but it will let you learn EVERY quirk with a particular firearm type. Once you have done that, THEN you can start expanding into specialized custom services, like case hardening, checkering, engraving, etc.
I don't know your age or how good your eyes are, but I would suggest taking up engraving. You need a VERY strong art background to do this, but it will always have a demand if you are good. Being a good engraver will give you a much better steady income than most other branches of the trade, once you have established a name.