Boz330
09-29-2012, 12:15 PM
Fishing Russian style;
http://www.angelfire.com/ak2/intelligencerreport/grenade.html

Bob

Dale in Louisiana
09-29-2012, 12:24 PM
Here's a technique the I used one, many years ago:

Impact fishing (http://mostlycajun.com/wordpress/?p=2183)

dale in Louisiana

Boz330
09-29-2012, 01:16 PM
When were you at Ft Knox? I was there in 66, 67 & 68. We trained in the M-48s but had a couple M-60s for familiarization. Didn't know there were any trout on Knox.

Bob

Got-R-Did
09-29-2012, 02:35 PM
Boz, there are releases of trout bi-annually in Otter Creek by DFW now. There is another stream that goes through Ft. Knox behind the old Prichard Place housing area (now completely rebuilt), and beyond Tobacco Leaf Lake. I wish I could find my old reservation map, so I could find it again. Of course, now all POVs are restricted from traveling the range roads, but most are no longer patrolled due to the mission statement change from Armor to Infantry. I used to ride my motorcycle to these little honey holes before there were Gate Security checkpoints after 9-11.
Got-R-Did.

Boz330
09-29-2012, 05:55 PM
Boz, there are releases of trout bi-annually in Otter Creek by DFW now. There is another stream that goes through Ft. Knox behind the old Prichard Place housing area (now completely rebuilt), and beyond Tobacco Leaf Lake. I wish I could find my old reservation map, so I could find it again. Of course, now all POVs are restricted from traveling the range roads, but most are no longer patrolled due to the mission statement change from Armor to Infantry. I used to ride my motorcycle to these little honey holes before there were Gate Security checkpoints after 9-11.
Got-R-Did.

The last time I was on post was 71 or 72. There were still WWII barracks like I lived in then. All of that stuff is gone I'm sure. Too many other places to hunt and fish with out the hassle of Ft Knox. Unfortunately I never drove the range roads much, sure did march them though when I was pushing troops. Agony, Misery and of course who can forget Heartbreak Hills. Never did quite figure out how it was always uphill going either direction.:shock:

Bob

Got-R-Did
09-30-2012, 01:21 PM
Roger That Boz! Marched up those hills in JROTC summer camp for two years in the mid 70s with packs and rifles. Certainly stretched my calf muscles going up and gave me shin splints going down. The only other "hill" that compared was Baby Baines in Ft. McClellan, AL, during the Military Police Academy in 80. I have climbed "improved" trails in the Sawtooth Mtns that were easier to scale.
If the process wasn't so convoluted to use the reservation, I certainly wouldn't mind the drive to take advantage of the assets there. My Father was Heavy Armor during his career in the Army (23 1/2 yrs), He started with the M44 Bulldog and ended with the M60A3. Used to take him lunch when he had range tower duty for night fire. Awesome to watch 15 tanks fire in near total darkness except for the spotlights on the outer tanks.
Got-R-Did.

Dale in Louisiana
09-30-2012, 09:36 PM
When were you at Ft Knox? I was there in 66, 67 & 68. We trained in the M-48s but had a couple M-60s for familiarization. Didn't know there were any trout on Knox.

Bob

that episode occurred when I was there 1972-74 as an instructor with the First Training Brigade. We had M-60A1's then. When I was a trainee in 1968, we had '48's.

dale in Louisiana

waksupi
10-01-2012, 01:10 AM
A friend of mine is an oil field engineer, and he was working on a project in the Ukraine. He got along very well with the military commander who was overseeing the project, and mentioned to him he wouldn't mind going ice fishing when he had a day off.
A day off came and after some inquiries, he and a couple others went to a lake back in the mountains and started fishing.
He said some other locals were fishing on the lake, and were doing very good, but he and his group weren't having any luck.
After they had been there a couple hours, they heard a helicopter in the distance. It came and landed on the lake near them, and out steps the commander, flanked by a few commando types with machine guns.
The commander walked over to my friend, and asked him how the fishing was going? He told him they hadn't been having any luck.
The commander turned to the guards, and said something to them. They went directly to the other fishermen on the lake, and brought all their fish back.
The commander says, "There, you got fish!"
They got back in the helicopter and left. The guys picked up the fish, and took them back to the other fishermen.
He said he never went fishing again while working that site.

starmac
10-01-2012, 02:06 AM
I can imagine how popular you would be with the locals after fishing with the general. lol