PDA

View Full Version : Gun Lube

Tom Ruley
09-28-2012, 05:36 PM
I have read about Ed's Red,could I have the Recipe and comments from anyone who has used it.

shooter93
09-28-2012, 05:59 PM
It's a decent cleaner for cast loads. I don't add the acetone because that is hard on stock finishes. Still works just not as fast. Works as a rust preventive for awhile, not for long term storage. Just google it....the formula is everywhere.

09-28-2012, 06:02 PM
Gun Lube

It's a cleaner, not a lubricant. I mix it without the lanolin and the acetone.

waksupi
09-28-2012, 08:41 PM
Google it, it's online, and I think probably posted on this board. Use the lanolin for rust prevention.

Kraschenbirn
09-28-2012, 10:12 PM
Try using the forum search engine...link located in the header toolbar...there have been a number of threads on Ed's Red and other homebrew cleaners/lubes.

So far as comments, I mix it by the quart and it's my 'go-to' bore cleaner for both lead and jacketed. As Shooter 93 noted, it can be hard on some commercial stock finishes but I've never noticed any problem with my milsurps or oil-finished walnut stocks.

Bill

GREENCOUNTYPETE
09-28-2012, 11:35 PM
there is eds red cleaner and eds red oil they share some ingredients

a link http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm#Oil

I made 1/2 gallon of Ed's red bore cleaner , and about a quart of the ed's red oil that i keep in a wd40 spray bottle that i purchased and marked just for the ed's red oil that is 45% atf 45%kerosine and 10% marvel mystery oil

i use the oil a lot more than the cleaner i wipe every gun down with some on a rag when it returns from being out before it goes back in the rack

I break down my guns often enough and wipe them down with the ed's oil that i never get much build up same for the barrels i run a ed's red oiled patch a few times down the bore before storage and i almost never need to use all that ed's red cleaner i made

remember to store the ed's red cleaner in a glass jar or jug if you have the acetone in it and shake before use the lanolin settles out some

cajun shooter
09-29-2012, 06:47 AM
Yes it seems that the original Ed's RED Bore cleaner that has been around for ever now has a lube that bears the same name. Why this was done is more than likley because of someone not knowing about the other.
The lube is made with Lucas Red Tacky grease and is from what I hear a fair to good lube if you have a need for a new lube receipe.
The answer to this mix up is as simple as adding the words" bore cleaner" to the one or Bullet Lube to the other. Later David

Tom Ruley
09-29-2012, 10:08 AM
Thanks, I didn't know it was so famous, lots of other information too,
Thanks again, Tom

pdawg_shooter
09-29-2012, 10:11 AM
1/3 ATF, 1/3 Mineral Spirits, and 1/3 Kroil work for me. It is all I use for cleaning unless I have jacketed fouling.

R.M.
09-29-2012, 11:01 AM
The boolit lube is "Ben's Red".

mdi
09-29-2012, 03:40 PM
1/3 ATF, 1/3 Mineral Spirits, and 1/3 Kroil work for me. It is all I use for cleaning unless I have jacketed fouling.

My "soak" is much the same but, I only use Mineral Spirits, Kroil, and Marvel's Mystery Oil.

Shiloh
09-29-2012, 09:36 PM
My batch has the acetone but no lanolin.
The acetone seems to evaporate off after it is put into a smaller container
from the Coleman Fuel can I mixed it in.

I use Ed's Red as my main cleaner almost exclusively.

Shiloh

geargnasher
09-29-2012, 10:12 PM
Like was mentioned, searching "Ed's Red" on this particular topic via the site search function will yield some good discussions. Here's one: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=164263&highlight=Ed%27s+Red

Gear