PDA

View Full Version : NW trade gun butt plate extension

Marvin S
09-27-2012, 10:46 PM
Just bought another North West trade gun in 24ga and it has too short of a stock for me. Looking for ideas on a butt extension. It has the standard flat trade gun butt plate.

waksupi
09-27-2012, 11:05 PM
Marvin, if you got it from Matt, and haven't did anything to the stock, give him a call. I'm pretty sure you can get a longer LOP than the standard 13 1/2". He would trade you straight across.

Oops! Never mind. I thought you had a kit.

Marvin S
09-28-2012, 07:17 AM
Sorry it is an older gun in very good shape. It's left handed and uses what appears to be a large siler lock. Barrel and lock have the sitting fox, suppose a L/H trade gun lock was not around at the time.

KCSO
09-28-2012, 03:16 PM
I took some saddle leather and made a butt cuff for my Enfield trade gun. Not pretty but it works and was cheap I used some old wool blankket for spacing and sewed it on wet and shrunk it to the stock. Otherwise I usually just add a chunk of stock wood and match it in as god as I can from my woodpile.

Marvin S
09-28-2012, 08:18 PM
I took some saddle leather and made a butt cuff for my Enfield trade gun. Not pretty but it works and was cheap I used some old wool blankket for spacing and sewed it on wet and shrunk it to the stock. Otherwise I usually just add a chunk of stock wood and match it in as god as I can from my woodpile.

That's what keeps coming to mind for me.

waksupi
09-28-2012, 08:56 PM
The big problem with that, is getting those devilish square cut nails out of the butt plate. I would think you would probably have to drive them through the plate, grind them out, or otherwise figure out how to free the butt plate. One good thing about a trade gun, if you have to sacrifice a butt plate,they are easy to fabricate a new one.

Marvin S
09-29-2012, 12:02 PM
I guess you could call it luck on this one as two screws hold it on. But i hear ya on the nails, maybe pencil grind the heads.