PDA

View Full Version : Scope failure today!!!!!!

1Shirt
09-26-2012, 08:33 PM
Had something happen today that after well over 60 years of shooting is a first for me. I had a Weaver K-4 go bad (something inside the scope broke loose, sort of like a flake of something about 1/3 the size of the interior of the scope). It was mounted on my Ruger #1, 45-70. I was shooting 335 gr. Gould HP cast, over 26 grains of 2400, w/dacron fill. I could still see the cross hairs, and fired 3-4 more rounds at 100 that stayed on paper, but just barely (probably 6-8" grouping). Until that point, the rifle was grouping under 2", so I must assume (yah, I know), that the cross hairs must be loose in the interior. Have always liked Weaver K-Scopes, and have an 8, 3, and 2.5, and this 4 that went kaplooy on me. I bought the scope new, probably 15 or more years ago. Checked the warrenty on the Weaver website, yeah, limited lifetime warrenty for the original owner (IF YOU CAN PROVIDE THE ORIGINAL BILL OF SALE). Hain't no way I could find the sales slip even if I had saved it. So my question to Weaver owners is have you had a scope repaired that you didn't have a bill of sale, and if so, what did it cost you?'
1Shirt!

gbrown
09-26-2012, 08:48 PM
Go to Iron Sight, Inc. site. $90 to go through and fix it. Bad part is that it will take about a year. Iron Sight is in Tulsa, OK. They have like one technician for the rebuild. Take it completely down, go through it and replace any broken, questionable parts. Check the optics and replace if necessary. Get it back to specs and recharge it. I sent a Weaver K9V there in July or August. I also own 2 K4's I would send there if they needed work. You can get it completely rebuilt/reblued for about 250, if I'm not mistaken. Check their website, prices are on there. All of mine are old El Paso, TX Weavers. Anytime I can pick one up reasonable, I go for it. If yours does not say El Paso on it, it was probably made in Japan or China.

imashooter2
09-26-2012, 09:12 PM
Asking is free. Call them and see what they say.

DCM
09-26-2012, 11:24 PM
Who did you purchase the scope from?
They may have an electronic record of the sale.

Mk42gunner
09-27-2012, 10:21 AM
1Shirt,

Is this one of the "new" Weaver scopes, or an older original K-4? It makes a difference as to who you have repair it.

A Ruger No. 1 in .45-70 is an excellent scope disassembly tool. I broke one of the better Simmons shotgun scopes with some Elmer Keith Memorial Loads.

Robert

10x
09-27-2012, 10:23 AM
I have had a number of scopes fail on an SKS. It was from using Chi Com surplus ammo in the late 1980s. The ammo was loaded way too hot (Chronographed it at 2650 fps average) as it rattled the SKS every shot but it was the only stuff we could get.
Bushnell honored the warranty on their scopes despite the very obvious dents on the tube from ejected cases hitting the tube.

I have a file cabinet full of bills for all my household purchases that have some sort of warranty. the bills for my gun stuff get put in it too. The bills go back to 1980..... It would take a day or two to find the bill.

Some guys would write their own bill too and send a copy with the claim.

44man
09-27-2012, 02:01 PM
Sad about the scope. I loved the "K" models. It is like losing an old friend.

km101
09-27-2012, 04:25 PM
Call the Weaver Scope Repair Svc. in El Paso, TX 915-593-1005 They can probably give you an estimete on the phone.

They got most of the equipment from the Weaver factory when it closed, and it is supposedly run by former technicians of Weaver. I sent a scope to them a few years back and they repaired it for $65 and had it back to me in less than 2 months

BD
09-27-2012, 08:46 PM
The link below explains why I am such a Leupold fan!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=103998

BD

1Shirt
09-28-2012, 05:32 PM
Well, I replaced it on the rifle with a 1.5x6X Bosch & Lomb (bought out by Bushnell I believe). Will consider the advice given in responses. Really think 44Man and I would get along well, as I seldom find anything in his responses that I disagree with, including our fondness for Weaver K's!
1Shirt!

Love Life
09-29-2012, 08:52 AM
The link below explains why I am such a Leupold fan!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=103998

BD

I verified with Leupold a couple weeks ago that the lifetime warranty transfers with the scope. I bought a used scope with friction adjustment, and just wanted to know. They even gave me a phone number to call and get a tutorial on the friction adjustment.

fishnbob
09-29-2012, 09:06 AM
You can contact T.K. Lee Co., the address is, 1282 Branchwater La. in Birmingham, Ala, 35216 and they will give you an estimate for repair. I have had them refurbish and DOT the reticle in scopes for me and they do a great job. The phone number is: 205-913-5222.