PDA

View Full Version : What RCBS top punches for LEE bullets?

21Glock
09-25-2012, 05:23 PM
I have been tumble lubing for the last few years and have finally decided to get a RCBS Lub-a-matic in the near future. Midway has them on sale until the end of Oct.

I have two bullets molds I will need to get top punches and sizers for. The LEE Truncated Cone .452 230gr .45 ACP bullet and the LEE Truncated Cone .401 dia. 175gr. .40/10mm cal. bullet.

My question is, are the existing RCBS top punches going to work with these bullets or will I have to have RCBS make custom top punches?
Which punch # are they or should I call RCBS or Midway to find out?

I plan on getting a lube heater as well.

Thanks!

Longone
09-25-2012, 05:38 PM
Hope this works.

http://www.castpics.net/subsite/TopPunches/Lee.html

Longone

21Glock
09-25-2012, 05:43 PM
Hope this works.

Longone

Thanks! So the Lyman and RCBS top punches are interchangeable from I'm seeing?

MT Chambers
09-25-2012, 06:20 PM
Absolutely, enjoy!

21Glock
09-25-2012, 06:36 PM
Absolutely, enjoy!

From what I see on the chart. The Lyman top punch, #460 can be used on the .401 175gr. LEE TC slug as well as the .452. .45 LEE TC slug on the RCBS Lube-a matic.

All I would need then would be the different sizing dies for each caliber for the RCBS Lube a matic. And of course the heater.

While we're on he subject what has been the best machine for you veteran casters the Lyman or the RCBS?

engineer401
09-25-2012, 07:54 PM
You could use a flat punch that will never mar the bullet cone. You can also contact theperfessor who is a vendor sponsor on this forum.

C.F.Plinker
09-25-2012, 08:10 PM
It could be quicker to make a flat nose punch. Get a 1/4 inch bolt (not a machine screw) about 1-1/4 inch long and cut the head off. File the end smooth. Run a nut all the way up the threaded portion until you run out of threads and it is tight against the unthreaded section. Insert this end in the sizer and either tighten the set screw down or put a dab of lube on the top of the nut to hold it in the sizer.

theperfessor
09-25-2012, 08:27 PM
I can help, see my sig line if you're interested.

21Glock
09-26-2012, 08:34 AM
I can help, see my sig line if you're interested.

Thanks! I'll keep you in mind when I order the RCBS Lube-a- matic later in Oct. for sure. I could use the same flat punch for the .452 and the .401 diameter bullets.

I also have a .500 S&W I'm wanting to load cast bullets on the RCBS as well. Could I use the same flat punch with it as well, of course with a .500 sizing die.

21Glock
10-04-2012, 10:34 PM
GOOD NEWS! I went ahead and ordered the RCBS LAMII and it came in today. I can't believe how small it is , that's great because I'm a little cramped on my bench right now. I ordered the Lyman heater just in case I may it later on.

All I need now is my top punch from theperfessor and the lube from lsstuff and I'll be lubin and sizin!!!

21Glock
10-08-2012, 03:41 PM
It could be quicker to make a flat nose punch. Get a 1/4 inch bolt (not a machine screw) about 1-1/4 inch long and cut the head off. File the end smooth. Run a nut all the way up the threaded portion until you run out of threads and it is tight against the unthreaded section. Insert this end in the sizer and either tighten the set screw down or put a dab of lube on the top of the nut to hold it in the sizer.

Would a nail of the right diameter, cut to the right length work? Something small enough in length and diameter to fit in the ram and have a flat head on it to act as a flat nose punch?

I sent theperfessor a check for one of his flat nose punches earlier last week and an e-mail on Sat. haven't back from him yet to see he got it yet.

21Glock
10-08-2012, 04:00 PM
Disregard the last e-mail. I got a pm back from theperfessor and everything will be worked out in the next few days.

mrjohn
10-11-2012, 01:30 PM
Hope this works.

Longone

Thanks for info