PDA

View Full Version : Dutch oven grouse

sixshot
09-24-2012, 07:24 PM
I cooked up some of the grouse today in the dutch oven, boned out some breast meat, the other will go into a "Sixshot" mulligan. I had to use one of my bigger ovens, all the others have legs on the bottom for outdoor cooking, this one is flat on the bottom like Callshot.
I melt some butter in a hot dutch oven, then mix some garlic powder, salt, pepper, Accent & Johnny's seasoning with some flour, then brown it, then slow cook, chicken doesn't like to be hurried.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k3/6shot_01/100_3458-1.jpg
Fixed a big pile of fried taters, this are right out of the ground as all the local farmers are digging now. Add a little oil, a wedge of butter, get it hot then add taters, salt pepper, Johnny's, a little garlic powder & some onion, yippee! Fried taters in a cast iron skillet is hard to beat.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k3/6shot_01/100_3459-1.jpg
Last is a few bottles of elk & moose that I canned this last week. I trim the meat, brown it with no seasoning then put it in hot pint bottles with a couple of wedges of onion, some beef bullion & 1/2 teaspoon of salt. I pressure it for 75 minutes at 13 pounds. When you're hunting & the grandkids get whinning they're hungry, just whip out of a bottle of elk or moose & jump back. Even the tough cuts are fall apart tender!

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k3/6shot_01/100_3460-1.jpg

Dick

garbear
09-24-2012, 07:47 PM
Dang looks good. We bottle most of my venison.
Grandma would open a bottle of venison when I was a kids and serve over rice or potatoes. Fast easy meal exspecially on a cold fall or winter day after working hard with Grandpa.
Garbear

**oneshot**
09-24-2012, 08:03 PM
Keep it hot, I'll be right over!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dale53
09-25-2012, 11:58 AM
Sixshot;
You are an inspiration to us all!

Thanks for sharing your grouse tales (tails? LOL) with us!

Dale53

craig61a
10-05-2012, 04:51 PM
Yumm! I can pickles, peppers, and fruit but never tried meats before. might just have to start.

MBTcustom
10-05-2012, 07:49 PM
Dang it! I just ate dinner and I'm hungry all over again.
That sure looks like some tasty vittles you got there Dick.

runfiverun
10-05-2012, 11:36 PM
this is one of the best years for grouse i can remember.
the wife made them baked in the oven with bbq sauce and sweet pickeled onions.
she made everybody an entire breast and a few extra [there were no extra, siiiigh]
even littlegirls friends mowed through them.

sixshot
10-07-2012, 12:49 AM
Lamar, what are you shooting them with, please don't tell me a shotgun! If you'd leave them alone I could get more!

Dick

runfiverun
10-07-2012, 11:38 AM
sometimes the 30 carbine revolver,sometimes the dan wesson 22.
i usually walk the ridge lines and creek bottoms with the old 20 ga sportsman 48.
i have about 10 shotguns and they whine if i don't get them out once in a while.
i have slowly been working on some black powder loads for a side x side 12 ga with exposed hammers too.
it's actually easier for me to headshoot them with the 20 ga.
i do use home made "cast" shot in the shotgun though....

as after those two revolvers it's all 41/44/45 and the supermags.

i lost a couple to the carbine as the rounded nose i use in it slips right through a bird too easily puffing them up and knocking feathers off the other side, and then i have to chase them all over the under brush.
or they'll fly up in a tree somewhere and i have to try and track them down,
making me wish i had one of the super mags with me right about then.

Dale53
10-07-2012, 05:25 PM
I have had "less than stellar" results with the .22 out of revolvers, auto pistols, and rifles. I have had much better results if I use my version of he Hanned Precision die to file a flat on the nose of the bullet - MUCH better.

However, a much better choice for grouse (and all edible small game in my estimation) is a .32 Keith from a revolver. You don't have to drive it fast, either. The flat nose simply works! In fact, I have used .32 and .38 wadcutters with good results. Instant stops with little meat damage. I have actually used .44 and .45 SWC's with good results. Rabbits taken with head shots at close range, but through the "slats" at longer ranges without seriously damaging any meat but, again, instant stops.

Use flat nose bullet in the carbine revolver and I'll bet you change your mind about the efficiency of the load.

FWIW
Dale53

NLS1
10-07-2012, 10:06 PM
I cooked up some of the grouse today in the dutch oven, boned out some breast meat, the other will go into a "Sixshot" mulligan. I had to use one of my bigger ovens, all the others have legs on the bottom for outdoor cooking, this one is flat on the bottom like Callshot.
I melt some butter in a hot dutch oven, then mix some garlic powder, salt, pepper, Accent & Johnny's seasoning with some flour, then brown it, then slow cook, chicken doesn't like to be hurried.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k3/6shot_01/100_3458-1.jpg
Fixed a big pile of fried taters, this are right out of the ground as all the local farmers are digging now. Add a little oil, a wedge of butter, get it hot then add taters, salt pepper, Johnny's, a little garlic powder & some onion, yippee! Fried taters in a cast iron skillet is hard to beat.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k3/6shot_01/100_3459-1.jpg
Last is a few bottles of elk & moose that I canned this last week. I trim the meat, brown it with no seasoning then put it in hot pint bottles with a couple of wedges of onion, some beef bullion & 1/2 teaspoon of salt. I pressure it for 75 minutes at 13 pounds. When you're hunting & the grandkids get whinning they're hungry, just whip out of a bottle of elk or moose & jump back. Even the tough cuts are fall apart tender!

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k3/6shot_01/100_3460-1.jpg

Dick

Oh man, fresh squirrel over the camp fire last night had nothing on that meal there! That looks good!

Dan

runfiverun
10-07-2012, 11:08 PM
yeah the flat nose makes a huuuge difference in performance.
i'm pretty sure the boolits are just on the hard side for the grouse.
i have shot rock chucks,a deer,and a bunch of other harder bodied animals with this same revolver
and load.
quite often i just use a pellet rifle,,and have no issues with that killing them with the flat nosed pellets i use in it.
i think i might have some 41's loaded up with a swc and about 4 grs of titegroup.
i should dig and see if i still have some made up [or if i used them all up on bunny's in wyoming] they would be much better.