PDA

View Full Version : Hogzilla takes second place

Jim
05-26-2007, 07:54 AM
I'm out on the patio having my morning coffee and a smoke and my sweetheart hollers "Come here quick! You gotta see this!". An 11 year old boy in Alabama shot a 1,051 pound hog. He said he fired at it over a dozen times and is sure he hit it 9 times. He said he chased it for 3 hrs. while shooting at it.
Y'all gotta see that thing. It's as big as a Cape!!

targetshootr
05-26-2007, 08:59 AM
I saw it on CNN last night and there's a thread on Ruger about it. The pics don't look right though. Possible Photoshop job.

SharpsShooter
05-26-2007, 11:00 AM
Now that's a lot of breakfast...

SS

Bullshop
05-26-2007, 11:23 AM
All I see is gut shots!
BIC/BS

1Shirt
05-26-2007, 11:29 AM
Learned a long time ago that if you want the game that's shot to look big, you get behind it for the picture. Looks to me like the shooter was a fair distance behind this hog. Just my opinion.
1Shirt!:coffee:

imashooter2
05-26-2007, 12:04 PM
Learned a long time ago that if you want the game that's shot to look big, you get behind it for the picture. Looks to me like the shooter was a fair distance behind this hog. Just my opinion.
1Shirt!:coffee:

Totally agree. Now the story said it weighed in at 1,051 pounds and that is big, but not as big as that perspective shot makes it look. The shooter's Dad had a web site with additional pictures before a bunch of vitriol from the PETA types made him take it down and some of them showed a more realistic representation.

nelsonted1
05-26-2007, 12:37 PM
Follow the edge of the arms on the pig's back, doesn't look right

Old Ironsights
05-26-2007, 01:15 PM
There are as many bad photos as stories about this one.

I've heard variously 9, 11, & 16 shots.

The perspective is all wrong on the pics.

It's a big hog, yes, but it's not what is claimed. Interestingly enough, the original posting site (monsterhog.com) is now 404... care to guess why?

I expect Snopes will have somthing on it soon.

357maximum
05-26-2007, 01:25 PM
1shirt nailed it...no snopes neccessary

IMO..The kid is around 10 to 15 feet behind the hog....poeple take photos this way all the time, but if you take it too far................it looks...................fake, just as this one does.

That is how those 120-140 class animals in the gunrags always appears larger than life.......the hunter sits on the bucks rump and reaches out and holds the bucks ear, and the photographer makes sure he shoots the photo up through the rack...

edit.
Somewhere I have a pic of that 120 class animal in my avatar that makes it look like a 150 class...I'll look for it...

Rick N Bama
05-26-2007, 03:36 PM
Interestingly enough, the original posting site (monsterhog.com) is now 404... care to guess why?

The website showing the hog is www.monsterpig.com. That site is still alive & well and now has a few more pics of the hog.

Faked or not, that's still a big pig.

Rick

Shepherd2
05-26-2007, 04:48 PM
I saw a domestic hog about 15 years ago that was making the county fair circuit. I think they said it weighed 1135 lbs. The thing in the picture looks to be about 3 times it's size. I have some doubts about this picture.

JSH
05-26-2007, 04:56 PM
Saw this pic a while back through an email. Article said the kid shot the thing 10-12 times with a 500 SW. I am not buying into that at all. I have seen some kids shoot some pretty big thumpers, but all in rifles. My son has shot what I would venture to say a whole lot more big pistols than most adults. He really wanted to shoot a 500, until he saw how a full tilt factory load rocked me. Managable for the first 2-3. After that, Mr. Brain says, this is gonna hurt. There are some fine lines between stupid and brave and out and out BSing.
Jeff

44man
05-26-2007, 07:45 PM
That pig looks twice the size of my Belgian draft horse that goes over a ton. In fact it looks bigger then a cape buf.
One good shot from the .500 should have done the trick so I would say the kid is scared to death of the gun, even more so then of the pig.

Lee
05-26-2007, 10:35 PM
Yup! I'm not sure which is worse. The mindless bubbas that buy into this, or the mindless news media that propagate this drivel w/o doing a full research.
Cmon, want to document this pic? Put a $1 on the pig snout, lay a current NY Times in front/on the bugger. Any number of ways to document and calibrate the size of what you got.
I'm stunned the kids old man went along with this ruse. It's too bad he's a liar, no need to raise up his kid to be the same.
And if I am wrong, and someone can come up with official "DOCUMENTED" truth about this bonehead story, then I'll be the first to post my apologies, to this forum, to the kid, and to his old man. It just looks to me that someone had PhotoShop and way too much time on their hands.
Guess I'll hafta go to www.snopes.com and see what they have to say. Not that they are any smarter than the rest of the gullible readers out there.....

Linstrum
05-26-2007, 11:25 PM
Hogzilla? What?

Oh, I thought you were talking about Rosie O'Donnel.

Yeah, the photo was definitely set up to make the shooter look big. I do that all the time with my digital camera, it is actually quite easy since the focal distance isn't that critical with the small lenses they use nowadays and the depth of field can make far away things appear closer than they really are.

Yeah, I thought you were talking about Rosie!

waksupi
05-27-2007, 12:14 AM
Gentlemen, and ladies. As a moderator on this site, I must request, quite strongly, that you do not mix postings about Hogzilla, and Rosie on the same topics. This is causing great despair among some members, and confusing the major news media of the country. As we understand it, they are interchangable, but there seems to be some misunderstanding outside of this forum. Far be it for us to propagate the idea that Rosie may have been shot, no matter how justifiably, when it is unfortunately untrue.

454PB
05-27-2007, 12:31 AM
Anybody can see that this hog is fair better looking than Rosie.

Lee
05-27-2007, 12:46 AM
Prolly smells better too..........
Bet ya still have ta take a forked stick and hold her head down while ya........never mind this is a family forum[smilie=1: ..........................Lee;-)

imashooter2
05-27-2007, 08:26 AM
http://www.brian-r.net/files/MonsterPig1.jpg

and of course:

http://i16.tinypic.com/54ehf6q.jpg

sundog
05-27-2007, 09:37 AM
I think hogs have a much better disposition.

Old Ironsights
05-27-2007, 01:56 PM
Snopes has it now, and is in the process of verification/debunking.

Jim
05-27-2007, 03:13 PM
I've read through all the posts since I first brought this up. I did a little digging around off-forum and two things just occurred to me that I should have thought of right off the git-go.
First, an 11 year old boy firing multiple shots from a S&W 500. I've never fired one of these Howitzers, but I'm told by ALL that have that it's a gun for a big, strong man. I'm also told it ain't something you find enjoyable and want to shoot several times in succession. I'm not suggesting it can't be done, I'm just repeating what I've heard.
Second, in the pic, the hog's mouth is open. I find this unusual. Most dead animals don't hold their mouth open. I suppose it could be propped open, but I would ask "Why?". Never seen that done either, except maybe for a gator or a croc'.
I think I'm gonna fall in line with those that don't believe this.

GSM
05-28-2007, 01:36 AM
Where's Bigslick?

I'm thinking a lot of pulled pork sandwiches and sausage.

Go to the website & compare the proportions of the 2 standing next to the pig and the original picture - a little out of whack.

Baldy
05-28-2007, 02:24 AM
Now you guys calm down as you all know the real HOGZILLA.
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h268/4Baldy/Hogzilla.jpg

GrizzLeeBear
05-29-2007, 08:42 PM
Big whooped dee doo (if its real). The article I read said it was shot on a 2500 acre game "ranch" and they had 2 guides with them. I'm not impressed. I'm sure they have plenty of feeders all over so this "wild" pig could get as big as possible then have someone come pay a lot of money for the guides to locate it on this "vast" 2500 acres and say "there it is, shoot it".
His dad's web site touts it as "The second shot heard round the world". Give me a break. Show me a hunter that spends a lot of time out scouting a lot of land, learning the patterns of the animals, carefully plans his hunts, spends a lot of time in pursuit of an exeptional WILD animal and bags it in true fair chase fasion, then I'll be impressed.

twoworms
05-29-2007, 08:52 PM
Thats one of the best pic's I have ever see of her. The light, the hair, she went all out for that one.

Tim

Junior1942
05-29-2007, 09:34 PM
Big whooped dee doo (if its real). The article I read said it was shot on a 2500 acre game "ranch" and they had 2 guides with them. I'm not impressed. I'm sure they have plenty of feeders all over so this "wild" pig could get as big as possible then have someone come pay a lot of money for the guides to locate it on this "vast" 2500 acres and say "there it is, shoot it".
His dad's web site touts it as "The second shot heard round the world". Give me a break. Show me a hunter that spends a lot of time out scouting a lot of land, learning the patterns of the animals, carefully plans his hunts, spends a lot of time in pursuit of an exeptional WILD animal and bags it in true fair chase fasion, then I'll be impressed.+ 1 for fair chase and really WILD.

dltaskey
05-29-2007, 10:33 PM
:roll:
+ 1 for fair chase and really WILD.

Yeah, somehow gut shooting a pig 12 whatever times over a 3 hour period inside a high-fence farm with guides doesn't exactly fit my idea of sportsmanlike behavior.
Although the 11 year-old is a bit of a porker himself, a 500 Smiff is a bit of a handful after the first shot let alone all those. We need new, young shooters, but I'm not sure this is the way to go about it.:(

MT Gianni
05-29-2007, 11:26 PM
I would have a lot more respect for the whole business if there was a photo in the newspaper of the hog and an 11 yr old shooter who elected to remain nameless. I know people who have shot record book animals and don't want to have them scored because it would cheapen the hunting experience. Those are the guy's I really respect. Gianni