PDA

View Full Version : why

bubba15301
09-23-2012, 11:53 PM
why are so many prople on this sight so anal ? seems like no one has a sense of humor

WILCO
09-23-2012, 11:57 PM
Don't know what you're talking about.

bubba15301
09-23-2012, 11:59 PM
go to the thread on the 32/20 in the hunting section

geargnasher
09-24-2012, 12:06 AM
I haven't read that thread, but I'll tell you in a general way that like many of us here I routinely deal with a lot of really dangerous stuff that can easily kill me and/or bystanders if I don't pay attention and follow very strict procedures. I value my life and limbs and those of others. Good 'nuff?

Gear

WILCO
09-24-2012, 12:29 AM
go to the thread on the 32/20 in the hunting section

You asked a question Bubba and from what I read, you received some great answers supporting your desire to use a 32-20 on deer. I'd just move on and not waste time with opinions that don't strike your fancy. Keep us posted on your efforts regarding this cartridge. :lovebooli

Mooseman
09-24-2012, 01:58 AM
I read the thread and here is My take on it...
You were told to use it by some folks... But also that the 32-20 has Limits.
What you don't appear to understand is There is More to Hunting than just Killing.
Hunting needs to be done ETHICALLY which means using enough gun to make a clean , one shot kill on whatever you are hunting.Using too little a cartridge and increasing the odds of wounding an animal you may not harvest is a blight on Hunters and gives more ammo to the Anti-hunters to use against Us !

When you come on a Forum and ask a question , you will get all kinds of responses, but the Majority will try to steer you in the right direction. It is up to YOU to take the advice or Not , but smart aleck comments in response tends to make you look either young, foolish , or look like an internet troll. If your mind is made up before you ask the question , you are wasting our time and forum Bandwidth because you really don't want to hear the truth. I have been hunting for 40 years so I think I am qualified to say You need to Learn more about Hunting ethics. It never hurts to use more gun than is needed, and here in Alaska, If I kill a Caribou, I may need to kill that bunch of Wolves or that grizzly bear that is smelling Blood I just spilled.
You wouldnt Race a Moped against a drag bike , the same as you wouldnt tow a car with hay baling twine...Use the right tool for the job. We arent being anal , we have hunted the real world and some people already know what works and what doesnt , or what may be marginal...Thats the point !

Rich

41 mag fan
09-24-2012, 08:42 AM
I read the thread and here is My take on it...
You were told to use it by some folks... But also that the 32-20 has Limits.
What you don't appear to understand is There is More to Hunting than just Killing.
Hunting needs to be done ETHICALLY which means using enough gun to make a clean , one shot kill on whatever you are hunting.Using too little a cartridge and increasing the odds of wounding an animal you may not harvest is a blight on Hunters and gives more ammo to the Anti-hunters to use against Us !

When you come on a Forum and ask a question , you will get all kinds of responses, but the Majority will try to steer you in the right direction. It is up to YOU to take the advice or Not , but smart aleck comments in response tends to make you look either young, foolish , or look like an internet troll. If your mind is made up before you ask the question , you are wasting our time and forum Bandwidth because you really don't want to hear the truth. I have been hunting for 40 years so I think I am qualified to say You need to Learn more about Hunting ethics. It never hurts to use more gun than is needed, and here in Alaska, If I kill a Caribou, I may need to kill that bunch of Wolves or that grizzly bear that is smelling Blood I just spilled.
You wouldnt Race a Moped against a drag bike , the same as you wouldnt tow a car with hay baling twine...Use the right tool for the job. We arent being anal , we have hunted the real world and some people already know what works and what doesnt , or what may be marginal...Thats the point !

Rich

+1 ...good answer Rich

44man
09-24-2012, 08:55 AM
Rich is correct. Good answer.
The least anal fellows on the net are here and many are real hunters.
I am one to tell you to use enough gun even for deer. They are very tough and the worst thing is to wound, cripple and lose one.
Only two things count, safety and ethics.

bubba15301
09-24-2012, 09:46 AM
i wasnt talking about thier answers the thread was getting too heavy and i tried to lighten it up a little and theygot mad about it

Bad Water Bill
09-24-2012, 09:54 AM
Yes SOME folks can cleanly kill a deer with even a 22LR.

My grandfather fed himself for OVER 80 years when he decided to try taking one with a 22 LR. Yes he did get his deer but also said never again.

I purchased a Savage 99 in 22 Hi Power from an 80+ year old subsistence X logger. That rifle and his cast handloads probably accounted for more 1 shot deer kills than most of us even see. And yes it was his ONLY gun and carefully selected site.

2 old gentlemen that lived in a better time and spent most of their time in the woods.

Just because those old folks could do it does NOT mean I would ever think I could copy them. I know I will always use a lot bigger gun as I nor most of us will Ever have the experiences they had.

Jim
09-24-2012, 09:57 AM
Rich is correct. Good answer.
The least anal fellows on the net are here and many are real hunters.
I am one to tell you to use enough gun even for deer..... are very tough and the worst thing is to wound, cripple and lose one.
Only two things count, safety and ethics.

One of the many reasons I like this forum is I learn things on a regular basis. Above is an example. I confess I've never been an avid deer hunter and have not put many on the ground as many members have.

I've always been of the opinion that deer are relatively easy to kill. This just goes to show that I don't know nearly as much as I thought I did about deer. I've got some homework to do.

Calamity Jake
09-24-2012, 10:06 AM
why are so many prople on this sight so anal ? seems like no one has a sense of humor

This sight has more humor than any of the others I visit, here's just one example:
http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=24972

I'm not a deer hunter but if I was I would want to use enough gun.

waksupi
09-24-2012, 10:52 AM
The consideration I see, is having irresponsible sounding ideas even presented on this forum. Someone who is inexperienced skimming through a topic, can see a tongue in cheek posting on using something that is totally incorrect. They then put it into action, without digging deeper, and end up in a bad situation. We had a real good example of that before, with a young guy insisting he could make shotguns from regular tubing. All it takes is one sucker to have listened to him, and the guy may well have blown up a homemade gun. This guy is no longer with us.
If you are going to joke about using something incorrect, there is a "chain jerking" emoticon you can add to a post when you start, and people will know you are not serious.

Hamish
09-24-2012, 11:00 AM
Bubba, you asked an honest question, and you got a good honest discussion on the subject. Nobody acted ignorant, matter of fact I thought it was very informative.

Two things that need to be remembered:

Since the printed words are all that is seen, sometimes misunderstandings happen. (Oh Boy)

Since we're discussing reloading here, the danger factor is very real, and folks here take that danger very seriously. NOBODY wants an injury or fatality on their conscience.

Don't take it personally. There's a lot to be interested in here. I suspect that it would be good for you to spend some time studying up on how boolit hardness, velocity, and boolit shape interact. Take some time and go back and read the thread, there is some very good information there.

Taylor
09-24-2012, 11:17 AM
My hip hurts like hell today,had to leave work and come home.I ain't anal.Just cleaning brass from my trip to the range yesterday,but I ain't anal,maybe later if this hip don't settle down.

Trey45
09-24-2012, 11:21 AM
Taylor I know what you mean, been going through major hip pain since 2000. 3 surgeries later and still no relief. My bad days I try not to post much. Today is not so bad, a couple days ago was terrible.

PS Paul
09-24-2012, 12:16 PM
The consideration I see, is having irresponsible sounding ideas even presented on this forum. Someone who is inexperienced skimming through a topic, can see a tongue in cheek posting on using something that is totally incorrect. They then put it into action, without digging deeper, and end up in a bad situation. We had a real good example of that before, with a young guy insisting he could make shotguns from regular tubing. All it takes is one sucker to have listened to him, and the guy may well have blown up a homemade gun. This guy is no longer with us.
If you are going to joke about using something incorrect, there is a "chain jerking" emoticon you can add to a post when you start, and people will know you are not serious.

Yeah, I knew you were joshin', but it's a fact one's text does not exactly translate to others always unless they kno where you're comin' from. Use of the "chain jerk" icon seems to help......

smokeywolf
09-24-2012, 12:50 PM
Bubba,
There is a time and place for humor and I have seen much good natured joking and joshing on this site.
However, reloading is a serious science and hunting is a serious sport. If you go bowling and get 10 gutter balls in a row no person or animal suffers. If you use the wrong tools or means to hunt, an animal will likely suffer. Hunters take the suffering of animals VERY seriously. We do our level best to make sure the animal dies from that first bullet or arrow within seconds, if not instantaneously. The decision you make with respect to the right tool to harvest an animal must be made like most other decisions in life; risk versus reward. Is the risk of causing suffering, worth the reward of using a lower powered firearm? The obvious answer is, if you can minimize the chance that the animal you are hunting might experience undue suffering, you do it.
The folks on the 32-20 hunting thread gave you some good advice. It was obvious that you didn't like many of the answers you were getting because they weren't what you wanted to hear. People get frustrated when the answer seems obvious, yet the person asking the question doesn't seem to get it, simply because it wasn't the answer he wanted.

Now, to inject a little humor. We also get a little crotchety because we're old and our backs, knees, and our hips hurt. Tore all the cartilage in my right hip in 2006.

smokeywolf

MtGun44
09-24-2012, 01:41 PM
+1 on smokeywolf -

It's a serious topic, and one must consider the difficulty of expressing things that a smile or smirk would
express in person, via a printed page. Emoticons can be quite important.

:bigsmyl2:

Bill

geargnasher
09-24-2012, 02:03 PM
Let's see how much more bandwidth and memory we can tie up with this.

Oh yeah, forgot to add :kidding:

Gear

Bad Water Bill
09-24-2012, 02:12 PM
I tore up BOTH knees in 1967 while skiing. In those days you had to suck it up and go on with your life.

Well the good thing about those knees is that they are a better rain forecaster than those cutie pies that pose as weather EXPERTS. :bigsmyl2:

Chicken Thief
09-24-2012, 02:20 PM
The film "Gardens of stone"
James Earl Jones says: "Opinions are like *$$holes", everybody seems to have one".

I'm a nutter and i try to "soften" things up on this site. Got me banned more often than i can remember. Nice Mods for not booting me permanently!

All the wedgies made it over the highway. But tomatoe got hit and all the others yelled: catchup!

DCM
09-24-2012, 06:02 PM
Bubba my job is such that if people don't take it seriously myself or others get hurt or dead. :(

Then there are my hobbies which are similar in that people can get injured or dead.
Pouring molten metal, handling small explosives, highly flammable solids, auto racing, target shooting, competitive shooting...
So being serious most of the time helps keep us free from injuries and death.
Many here are looking out for your best interests in safety, $ and many other aspects, we are kind of funny that way, just trying to pass on things we have learned sometimes the VERY hard way.

One of my favorite pastimes is hunting during which I hope to stay alive and bring home something dead.
The thing I usually enjoy most about hunting is the peace and quiet that gives me time to talk to God in a peaceful setting and do a lot of deep thought.
One of these deep thinking sessions allowed me to realize if the tables were turned and I was the hunted one that I would appreciate it if I could go as quickly and peacefully as possible. Kind of like my great grandfather did peacefully in his sleep, not like the passengers in his car yelling, panicking and screaming.

10x
09-25-2012, 08:37 AM

It may well be because they are constipated...

That being said the first guy to figure out how to cast a heat seeking bullet will be king...

DCM
09-25-2012, 07:53 PM
By the way we have a humor and off topic section in the pit if you want some comic relief.
That is where I stole the last line of my otherwise serious post from.

500MAG
09-25-2012, 08:20 PM
Son, we live in a world that has reloaders. And those reloaders have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Bubba? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for 32/20 and you curse the Cast Boolit members. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that being Anal, while tragic, probably saves lives. And our existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives...You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want the Forum, you need the Forum.
We use words like boolits, j-words, alloy...we use these words as the backbone to a life spent defending something. You use 'em as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it! I'd rather you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a boolit mould and start casting. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to! :kidding:

Trey45
09-25-2012, 08:39 PM
Son, we live in a world that has reloaders. And those reloaders have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Bubba? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for 32/20 and you curse the Cast Boolit members. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that being Anal, while tragic, probably saves lives. And our existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives...You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want the Forum, you need the Forum.
We use words like boolits, j-words, alloy...we use these words as the backbone to a life spent defending something. You use 'em as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it! I'd rather you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a boolit mould and start casting. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to! :kidding:

I wept, and I ain't skeert to admit it.

1Shirt
09-26-2012, 08:50 PM
There is a section for humor! There are some on this forum who will inject humor into serious issues. Life is to short to not appreciate the thoughts of others be they serious or humorous!
1Shirt!

gray wolf
09-27-2012, 10:27 AM
I have to agree with how important it is to not loose site of what we do
and how we do it. This ain't face book.

John Ross
09-27-2012, 10:38 AM
500mag, ROFLMAO! Good thing I didn't have a mouthful of orange juice!

375RUGER
09-27-2012, 11:11 AM

Post of the year!