PDA

View Full Version : Interesting way to Slug

dmclark523
09-23-2012, 10:07 PM
Hello everyone, So I may be jumping the gun a little, but I just experimented and I think I found a really awesome way to slug your barrel without going to the trouble of buying ball ammo and shoving it down your bore.

The whole concept of slugging is that you use a soft lead ball that is just slightly bigger than your barrel so that, after you jam it in and remove it, you can measure the grooves and figure out what exact size your barrel is. This can help, of course, in figuring out exactly what mold you need to buy as well as what sizer you need to get.

So, after looking at my M1911, I found that, when the case sits in the chamber, the only thing stopping it is the fact that the case itself is just a hair wider than than actual bore. So i got the idea that if I can get a lead mold of the casing, I can use it to slug my barrel.

So I took some of the Wheel Weight stickies, which are almost pure lead (nice and soft), melted them down, skimmed the dross, and then poured them into my .45ACP bullet casing (primer still inside, of course).

After cooling them down, I used my bullet puller to extract the perfectly cylindrical
lead from the casing. You can sit it about 1/3 of the way in due to the expansion of the case after firing it (Or maybe it's just the design of the casing). In any event, the extracted lead is tapered.

You can now lube it up a little and use it the exact some way you would any other slug. What do you guys think of this method?
I'm not sure, but I bet there is some way you could do this for rifle cases as well. I bet it would work for all pistols, however.

geargnasher
09-23-2012, 10:11 PM
All centerfire cartridge brass is tapered like that, and also less annealed toward the case head for strength, since the case head takes a lot of unsupported pressure. That's a good idea you have there, gives you a nice taper to start out. If the slugs are too small to fully fill the grooves, you can always massage them with a hammer before starting them in the bore, or pound them in the muzzle flush and then swage them to full-form with a brass rod inserted throught the breech end before turning the barrel around and tapping them all the way through.

Gear

noylj
09-24-2012, 01:46 AM
In my time slugging barrels, I have found that the slug really needs to be at least 0.010" larger than expected groove diameter to get the "right" reading. I don't know why, but smaller slugs under-value the groove diameter by 0.001+/-0.0005", generally.
Also, when I oil the barrel, I find that my measurement is often about 0.0005" less than slugging a dry bore.

runfiverun
09-24-2012, 09:38 AM
and smash and toss the case when done you just "annealed" the web area just enough i wouldn't trust it.

mdi
09-24-2012, 12:18 PM
I've been using "case slugs" for barrel sizing for quite a while (wasn't my idea, I read it sommers). The slugs are also good for hardness testing...

boltons75
09-24-2012, 04:39 PM
Did my 40 the same way, and if it's not big enough just flare the case mouth a bit. Worked great for me.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

gwpercle
09-24-2012, 05:13 PM
Good idea , I will file that info away for future use. The last time I slugged a barrel I had a devil of a time finding something to use as a slug. Had to go buy an assortment of fishing sinkers to get the right fit. Thanks

gary

dragon813gt
09-24-2012, 05:59 PM
Since this type of thing was brought up in another thread. Did you watch the YouTube video on this? It's a two parter that explains this exact process. Not saying you didn't think of it. And it's always good to share ideas.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

dmclark523
09-24-2012, 06:07 PM
No I haven't seen any video regarding this. I was reading in my manuals about slugging and it was only then that I considered this to be an interesting theory. Did some trial and error last night and come up with the above concept.

Do you have a link to the video? If it's the same process than it's worth posting for everyone else to see!

dragon813gt
09-24-2012, 08:35 PM
All you have to do is search YouTube for "slugging a barrel". It's the first video that comes up.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

Gliden07
09-24-2012, 08:41 PM
I saw someone do this on You Tube looks like a good idea!

mdi
09-25-2012, 12:03 PM
WARNING; Take info seen on youtube with a grain of salt and much suspicion...