PDA

View Full Version : Do you have trouble....

crabo
09-22-2012, 11:30 PM
using your new brass? I have tons of 357 brass. I bought 1500 pieces of new Starline, but I keep loading the older brass, even though I have tested and proven that the new matching brass shoots better groups than the mutt brass.

I was sorting brass tonight and I have decided that I need to quit saving the good stuff. I do need to load plinker rounds, but its time to break out the good stuff.

I did, (and do), the same for 44 mag.....

DeanoBeanCounter
09-22-2012, 11:36 PM
You mean that there is such a thing as new brass? Wait......I have a bag full of really clean brass. Could that be new?
Dean

**oneshot**
09-23-2012, 06:47 PM
One of my least favorite things to do is prep new brass.

GRUMPA
09-23-2012, 06:51 PM
Sounds like me, I have new brass...well......was new over 10yrs ago, just never got around to using it since I have so much of the used stuff. Figured when I got it I'll use it when my older stuff finally goes......YEAH RIGHT!!

firefly1957
09-23-2012, 07:19 PM
I have a 100 rounds of S&W new primed brass in .357 I have never loaded I bought it in 1976. Like you use and reuse the old brass those were bought when I worked security and I loaded new brass for on duty the other two boxes have been loaded and shot long ago. I do not remember the charge but loaded AL-8 under a Sierra 110gr JHC bullet.

runfiverun
09-23-2012, 07:46 PM
i have some like that too.
but it's loaded and just sitting there, something close to 3k 357,2k 44 mag and 2k 45 colt.
i hate to break up a big batch of brass like that.

captaint
09-23-2012, 07:52 PM
I have a box of new Starline 45ACP brass. I'm saving it for good. Not sure just what good is, but that's what I'm saving it for. enjoy Mike

Kraschenbirn
09-23-2012, 08:55 PM
Nope...rarely buy new brass unless I absolutely need it which means (a) I've either been loading what I've got on hand for so long that I'm starting to toss out a noticeable amount when I reload for that particular caliber or (b) I've picked up a new (to me) gun in a caliber that I don't already reload and can't locate a sufficient quantity of 'used' to meet my needs. I also 'recycle' most of my old '06 brass, as well...reforming cases with split necks into 7.65x53 or 8x57.

Bill

Moonie
09-24-2012, 11:41 AM
Got the first new brass I've gotten in a very long time. 45LC, 100pcs Starline. Loaded half last night with 9.8gr Unique behind a 300gr Lee boolit. Now to wait for the pistol to be delivered to my LGS.

PS Paul
09-24-2012, 12:22 PM
Moonie, are you sayin' your one of those fellas who loads BEFORE you get the gun? Ha-ha!

I too have new brass sitting there waiting while I load older stuff over and over. Perhaps the Scotsman in me prevents using the newer stuff?

41 mag fan
09-24-2012, 01:02 PM
Moonie, are you sayin' your one of those fellas who loads BEFORE you get the gun? Ha-ha!

Thats how you can justify to the better or other 1/2 how and why you need a new gun.

I do it all the time, except mines buying holsters...ooops it's too big or to small, I have to take it to the gunshop and buy a new gun that fits it.
i've played that card so much, I now just say i need a new holster and go buy one with the gun already in it....my wife just rolls her eyes....either she's caught on to my charade or she realized it don't do no good to object!!! I'd just buy 2 new holsters then!!

gwpercle
09-24-2012, 01:31 PM
I reload because of my 'frugal' nature, therefore all my brass has been picked up from every and any place brass was left by others lying around. And come to think of it just about all the brass I have purchased was once fired ... except when I bought a K 11 Schmidt-Ruben . all the ammo imported was berdan primed and couldn't be reloaded by ordinary means ( late 60's ). So I had to buy NEW brass... Norma was the only game in town and they were real proud of thier stuff and it hurt but I paid the price cause I wanted to shoot it and reload the cases. Later I discovered 284 brass would work and dealer had a lot of once fired 284 brass real reasonable , bought all he had.
I still have one box of that brand new Norma 7.5 Swiss brass that I can't bring my self to use, saving it for that whatever reason we don't use our new brass for.
Does brass go bad just sitting in the box ? I don't see an expiration date on the box but I dont want it to become unusable...I paid too much money for that stuff.

gary

Moonie
09-24-2012, 02:21 PM

I too have new brass sitting there waiting while I load older stuff over and over. Perhaps the Scotsman in me prevents using the newer stuff?

I've been reloading for about 24 years, casting for about 20 and this is the first time I've reloaded before having a gun to shoot the cartridge. I've reloaded for guns I don't own, my sons, but never for guns I'm waiting to arrive.:Fire:

I'd have waited but I used it as an excuse to spend some time with one of my sons who came by, to be completely honest.

I live in a house with 3 daughters and my wife, heck 2 of the 3 dogs are female even, and she had my dog neutered, nice to spend some time bonding.

375RUGER
09-24-2012, 03:17 PM
New brass only gets better with age. Still have 1/2 a lot of new starline quietly aging till it's just right to load. 18 years seems like a good number for the aging process maybe I'll load half of it now and save the other half till it hits 30.

blackthorn
09-24-2012, 04:06 PM
In the mid 60's I bought a 300 Weatherby Magnum. Ammunition for it was expensive ($1.00 per loaded round) and I didn't have a lot of extra cash. I wound up getting a few boxes of 300 H&H ammunition which I shot through the Wby. and then reloaded it. A few years later I got enough cash ahead to buy 100 new Wby. brass but I just kept on loading the blown out H&H. I have also been gifted with a bunch of once fired Wby. brass and I have been loading that as well. The 100 new ones sit on a shelf in my reloading shed "for when I need them. This last year or so I have been retiring the 300 H&H brass as I do not intend to pass two different capacity case types on to my son who will inherit the Wby. when the time comes.

Wayne Smith
09-24-2012, 05:47 PM
I do have 100 45S&W sitting on a shelf, but I load the other 100. I bought new brass for the 32-20's because I couldn't find any at the range! I did buy some used here, but then bought Starline. The Starline is more accurate. Formed some of the Remington to 25-20, but haven't tried with the Starline. I need to get more 30-40, but don't have the rifle yet - those get formed to 25 Krag AI. I have almost a thousand 45ACP range pickup, no point in buying those.

dragonrider
09-24-2012, 06:41 PM
Have about 450 new Starline 357 max brass, bought 500 about 15 years ago used 50 or so for making some 7mm supermags, a lousy and extinct cartridge even at the time I chose to load for it. I do have a 357 max but I reuse brass until it breaks before I load new stuff. The same with all other calibers that I load for, I have some new brass, not a lot, but I doubt I will ever use it. Why use it when I have so much fired brass.

DHurtig
09-24-2012, 07:26 PM
I am not a hoarder, I'm just very frugal. I'll use the new stuff when I don't have and can't scrounge more used brass. Dale

mold maker
09-24-2012, 07:45 PM
If any of you were involved, you'll appreciate the fact that I was in the GB for 45-70 Starline brass. I just can't bring myself to dirty it up.

That stuff became precious, before we finally got it.

canyon-ghost
09-24-2012, 07:54 PM
I take every batch of new Starline and run it through the sizer die to make sure it's concentric. That way, it not only is ready to go, it isn't sacred gold anymore. I run my sizer dies high though, never size the last 3/8ths to 1/2" of the case web.

I use it, it's better, safer, and tomorrow never comes.

km101
09-24-2012, 11:06 PM
What are you saving it for? Your next life?

If you bought it just to look at, thats fine/ But if you bought it to shoot, start shootin' it! New brass does you no good just sitting in the box.