PDA

View Full Version : Setting Gas checks below the neck?

hithard
09-22-2012, 12:05 AM
Okay guy's what is the word on setting the gas checks below the neck. I've never had any problems with this, but some say that the possibility of loosing the check off the boolit is not worth the risk.

stubshaft
09-22-2012, 12:09 AM
I was never concerned with the check falling off inside the case. I am concerned about the combustion gasses blowing the lube out of the grooves though. In any case, I have not had good results with seating the check below the case neck.

HARRYMPOPE
09-22-2012, 12:19 AM
works more often than not .Something more to worry about for some i guess if they cant get time to go shooting and see if it matters??

George

Moonie
09-22-2012, 01:15 AM
I hear it'll cause your babies to be born nekid.

shotman
09-22-2012, 01:20 AM
It will help the you to find other holes in things you didnt want to find holes in too

Ben
09-22-2012, 06:53 AM
Okay guy's what is the word on setting the gas checks below the neck. I've never had any problems with this, but some say that the possibility of loosing the check off the boolit is not worth the risk.

A fairly lengthy discussion of this topic here :

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=164474

Larry Gibson
09-22-2012, 02:03 PM
There is no specific "word" on this subject. It depends on the type of GC used, the dept of seating, the load, a filler or not used etc ad nauseum. I do not seat any non crimp on GCs below the neck because they can indeed come off in side the case not only in shooting but in loading, transit and from recoil. I've pulled enough to have found out.

Also severe gas cutting and riviting of the bullet base can occure, depending on load, which destroys accuracy. The bullet on the right in 1st picture shows such. The 2nd picture shows 2 groups (8 shot) with the bullet seated within the case neck and one wth the GCs seated below the case neck. Bullets are 311466s with Hornady GCs. Other than seating depth the load is identical. Kind of speaks for itself but inaccuracy is not always noticeable, especially with milsurps using issue sights. at 50 yards or less.

I try not to seat the GC below the case neck for all the various reasons. Accuracy is not always bad but it is often enough that I just avoid the problem. There are too many different moulds it is quite easy to get one that fits the case neck.

Larry Gibson

shooter93
09-22-2012, 06:26 PM
I'm with Larry...I won't say it's a diaster all the time but I have found, especially with recoil, that they can come off in the case so it's just easier for me not to worry about it at all.

mpmarty
09-22-2012, 07:09 PM
Inasmuch as I don't use them I don't worry about it.

hithard
09-24-2012, 01:17 PM
Thanks guy's

Gohon
09-24-2012, 01:56 PM
That picture on the right really has me wondering how in the world can a gas check, weighing only a few grains, follow a bullet all the way to the target and impact a perfect circle less than a inch from where the bullet impacted. I once was shooting through a chrony some 22 Hornet loads and a couple gas checks came off. However they impacted the front of the chrony a good 8 inches below the path of the bullet. No damage to the chrony except a little scaring but they sure didn't follow the bullets path.

I've pulled bullets from a 45 Colt and 357 magnum and had a problem with the checks coming off right at the mouth of the case due to the heavy roll crimp used. The checks would have to be punched sideways and then pulled out with a set of needle nose pliers. However, a few months ago I needed to pull some 80 30-30 bullets and only 2 checks came off. I assume this was because the light taper crimp didn't grab the check, so pulling bullets and finding the check inside may not be a good indicator the check came off for any other reason then the action of pulling the bullet itself.

I have no experience with the old style press on checks but I've never had a problem with the crimp on checks I use.

Papa smurf
09-24-2012, 02:39 PM
Was loading for 300 Sav. years past . You almost alwawys have the check below the neck. Never was a problem. Good Shooting---------------------------Papa Smurf

Will
09-24-2012, 02:50 PM
Had a GC come off and put a 30cal hole in a plexiglass storm window off to the side of my line of fire.

gwpercle
09-24-2012, 05:25 PM
I reloaded some heavy 38 special loads with cast boolit and Lyman crimp on gas check for Ruger Black Hawk. Fired into a sand bank and every slug we dug out was mushroomed and had it's gas check firmly crimped on. But I never used slip on type, they just might come off .