PDA

View Full Version : Are you afraid?

rfp357
09-21-2012, 01:15 AM
Are you afraid to let people know you are a shooting sports enthusiast? I live in the God forsaken state of Illinois and it seems like people here try to keep their interests to themselves. It’s as if they are hiding the fact that they like to shoot and reload. Personally I speak freely about my interest and involvement in shooting and reloading. This doesn’t mean that I go out of my way to publicize it but I’m not afraid to talk about it either.

Are you afraid?

Echo
09-21-2012, 01:38 AM
Not in Tucson - Criminy, we don't even need a license to carry concealed.

jcwit
09-21-2012, 02:01 AM
Not in the least, I live in a rural community.

Jim
09-21-2012, 02:45 AM
You're on a short list if you live in Floyd County and DON'T own a gun.

Recluse
09-21-2012, 03:03 AM
I'm not afraid to let anyone know ANY of my views these days.

As I've said on previous occasions, when 9/11 happened, I drew a big line in the sand. You either thought along the same lines as me, or you didn't. If you didn't, that was fine but I probably wasn't going to do much associating with you but I'd tolerate you.

When Obama was elected, I poured concrete in that line and am no longer even tolerant of the left-leaning idiots. I have no liberal friends. Zero. Will not have any, either.

I've never forced or demanded that anyone exercise their Second Amendment rights, and I'll be damned if I apologize or be "afraid" to not only exercise my right to keep and bear arms, but to openly discuss it.

:coffee:

44fanatic
09-21-2012, 06:12 AM
Tennessee...nope not afraid.

Oreo
09-21-2012, 06:23 AM
I'm just a private person. I generally don't like most people and won't go out of my way to discuss anything about myself unless you're a close friend. It has nothing to do with being afraid.

pdawg_shooter
09-21-2012, 10:19 AM
I'm not afraid to let anyone know ANY of my views these days.

As I've said on previous occasions, when 9/11 happened, I drew a big line in the sand. You either thought along the same lines as me, or you didn't. If you didn't, that was fine but I probably wasn't going to do much associating with you but I'd tolerate you.

When Obama was elected, I poured concrete in that line and am no longer even tolerant of the left-leaning idiots. I have no liberal friends. Zero. Will not have any, either.

I've never forced or demanded that anyone exercise their Second Amendment rights, and I'll be damned if I apologize or be "afraid" to not only exercise my right to keep and bear arms, but to openly discuss it.

I am with you Recluse. If someone doesn't like what I have to say they need to stay away!

Moondawg
09-21-2012, 10:41 AM
It all depends on where you live. In many parts of the nation, letting it be known that you shoot and have guns, is asking for a home breakin so as to steal those same guns.

runfiverun
09-21-2012, 10:57 AM
amongst the crowd i hang with it's usually the main topic of conversation.
stop by the local mechanic shops and you'll usually find someone in there talking guns .
along about hunting season you can talk hunting in the cafe's with total strangers.
our 2400 population town has two gun stores a fishing shop,and one of the three gas stations carry's ammo,hunting clothes,and fishing stuff, as does our local [mini walmart type] box store.
seeing a rifle in a truck window or on the seat is common any time of the year.
i'd bet we have 8-10 members of this board that are from here also
we have a pretty nice rifle and pistol range,and another long distance range,plus an outdoor [summer] and an indoor archery range.
they regularly shoot 3-d archery shoots at the jr. high in the winter.
the city comes down and plows the road to our rifle/pistol ranges during the winter.

Adam10mm
09-21-2012, 10:57 AM
I don't care who knows I have guns and hunt. People that associate with me know full well what my politics are. The only liberals in my life are my wife, her family, and my father. Beyond family, I don't associate with liberals if I can help it. As long as we don't talk politics, we get along fine.

wallenba
09-21-2012, 11:03 AM
I live in a Detroit suburb. I'm divorced and live alone. My neighborhood is 'changing'. So, I try not to let those I don't know, know that I own firearms. I keep my range bag in my truck, I carry my handguns out to the truck in a cardboard box, switching when I get to the range. When I take my rifles, I back the truck up between the houses, take them out the back door, and load them into the covered, locked bed for the trip there.
I don't do this because I'm afraid to let them know I'm a gun owner, but to not invite a burglury.
Teenagers know everything that goes on in their neighborhoods. As they get older, they get confused about who they want to be. That's why we have 'gangstas'. Hopefully they could not gain entry to my safe, but they don't know I have one. They would only find out AFTER the B&E.

bowfin
09-21-2012, 11:07 AM
No. But gun owners, hunters, and the like are a vast majority here.

It wouldn't faze me to mention it anywhere, though. More and more, I care less and less about impressing people I don't know or for whom I don't care.

dagger dog
09-21-2012, 11:07 AM
I just usually mention that I'm into shooting sports, then elaborate if farther questions are asked as long as they are not political.

Moonie
09-21-2012, 11:08 AM
I carry a gun everywhere I legally can, 90% of the time I open carry, 10% concealed carry. I'm proud to be a law abiding American citizen and patriot and not afraid to show it.

Adam10mm
09-21-2012, 11:12 AM
More and more, I care less and less about impressing people I don't know or for whom I don't care.
Yup. :drinks:

9.3X62AL
09-21-2012, 11:16 AM
Good point, Moondawg. I worked in a VERY public position for a lot of years, and in retirement I enjoy the low profile life. I tend to keep company with other outdoors folks--shooters/handloaders, hunters, and anglers. I see old partners from work once in a while, often while shooting/hunting/fishing. Are my retirement priorities showing through? :)

Not to say this area is hostile to firearms usage or ownership. It is very much unlike urban California in that regard--in a town with 25K in the city and another 20K surrounding it, two full-line gunshops do a brisk business and at least 3 organized range sites stay busy. There is an archery-only range site as well.

wildwilly
09-21-2012, 11:50 AM
No. Just prudent. My county is one of a very few in Kalisfornistan where we have a very active tradition of hunting/shooting. However, we are either #1, or very near the top for unemployment (30+%). So, I keep my cards close to the chest.

oksmle
09-21-2012, 12:12 PM
At the airport I frequent we have a Skeet Range at the south end of runway 17 & talk "guns" all the time. At the gunshop where I hang out there are several pilots & the "flying" stories outnumber the "gun" stories.

Boz330
09-21-2012, 12:39 PM
At the airport I frequent we have a Skeet Range at the south end of runway 17 & talk "guns" all the time. At the gunshop where I hang out there are several pilots & the "flying" stories outnumber the "gun" stories.

Can't go wrong on either topic.

Bob

Chicken Thief
09-21-2012, 12:43 PM
He who lives quiterly and lays low, lives good.
That regards the law also, at least where i live (Denmark).

What my neighbours dont know about me they cant tell about/gossip to others (the wrong kind).

The abowe also goes for internet boards!
List what you have in the safe and the thieves have a shopping list.
Pinging an IP is no problem.

PS Paul
09-21-2012, 01:06 PM
Out here in Western Washington, we are overrun with libtard-types- especially in Seattle. Taking a ferry to work each day, I get to listen to some of these folks and their little "kabals" on the ferry as they sit and speak poorly of the conservative movement, taking quotes directly from the libtard Seattle Times. A lefto, pinko commie newsrage, I always have to laugh at the buffoons who sit and squawk about "the rich" and "pay more taxes" and "do more for the poor with your money" as they drive on and off the boat in Merceds, BMW's, Audi's and (the left-wing chariot) Subaru's. So, I always make it a point (when I speak to someone-which is rare on the boat) to bring up the fact I am in the gun business and proudly show the fact that instead of reading the leftist Seattle Times, I read from one of many gun mags daily. You should see some of the looks I get from these folks. Downright hilarious! One of them actually had the nerve to ask me, "Why would you need a gun?". So I answered, very politely, "amongst other things, to protect my loved ones and my property". So she said, "Well, I would just call the police". I told her, again quite politely, "The criminals have a word for your type- VICTIMS". She stormed off and I noticed others around were all laughing. 'Twas a good day!
Paul

alrighty
09-21-2012, 01:08 PM
Afraid , no.I do not talk to the masses because the older I get the more I realize the world is full of stupid and nothing anyone can say will ever change that.About the only time I am around John Q public is running errands, and I try not to stir up a conversation, or when I am on breaks at work.Several times the guns and shooting conversations will come up and most times I just sit back and listen.Stupid can also be very entertaining.
Only time I truly talk about shooting or anything really is when I am around the few friends that I know.

375RUGER
09-21-2012, 01:09 PM
The abowe also goes for internet boards!
List what you have in the safe and the thieves have a shopping list.
Pinging an IP is no problem.

Care to send me a PM and tell me where I live? I'd like to know just how easy it is.

Idaho Sharpshooter
09-21-2012, 01:12 PM
Remember me, I'm the guy who moved from Southern Illinois to SW Idaho in the summer of 1978.

I know more people with concealed weapon licenses (NOT! permits) than don't. But, I may be traveling in the right circles.

quilbilly
09-21-2012, 01:22 PM
I tolerate my inlaws who are all hard core leftists (including "occupy" types) but that is about it for my voluntary (sort of) contact with leftists. I don't discuss hunting or shooting with any leftist since they can't ever be trusted and think they have a right to anything they can steal.

gandydancer
09-21-2012, 01:23 PM
Flying. reloading. shooting. life is good. GD

smokeywolf
09-21-2012, 01:25 PM
I live in the land of libs. So, I would have to give the same response that Obama's partner in crime Eric Holder might, I can neither confirm nor deny that.

9.3X62AL
09-21-2012, 01:47 PM
Wolf, you ought to move up here. Plenty of work at the Navy base, and VERY different than even the Inland Empire.

Goatwhiskers
09-21-2012, 02:03 PM
I won't say where, but the day I met Recluse it was in the terminal of an airport where people look at you funny if you don't have a gun. GW

GabbyM
09-21-2012, 02:19 PM
I live in Illinois.
Have a neighbor that thinks I’m a crazed phyco gun nut. He and his wife also think it’s OK if Iran gets a Nuke plus they voted for Obama. Way I figure it is their’s no cure for stupid. Can’t help them by moving away so I guess I’ll just stay. Am sure Illinois has no corner on the stupid citizen population.

shooter93
09-21-2012, 06:08 PM
I don't advertise the fact but I don't hide it either. I own a small construction business doing seriously custom work. I meet all manners of people and with many of them become friends, I watch their pets while they are away and have keys to many of their houses to check on them while they are away too. What has worked well for me as well as clueing people in to what gun owners are really like is to just go on with the job and daily chat and somewhere along the line the topic will come up or a tradgedy will occur and that's when they find out. Very many of them will say...I had no idea you were a gun owner. I tell them I'm extremely avid shooter and virtually all shooters are like me. It's something we enjoy, we believe in taking personal responsability for our own safety and are not a threat to peaceful people. You'd be suprised how many form a different opinion about the "gun culture"

Saint
09-21-2012, 06:17 PM
I don't mind talking guns even when I'm at work but I try not to advertise to strangers that I own guns to avoid having them stolen. When I go to the range I always carry all of my gear to the car first and then on my way out the door I carry all of the guns I am taking with me to the car at the same time. Not going to leave a gun in an unlocked house to load a car and not going to leave a gun in even a locked car. I never make stops between the range and home either.

hiram1
09-21-2012, 06:19 PM
nope im not. I could care less about impressing people. I don't know.After all Ted Kennedys car has killed more folks than my guns have.

Char-Gar
09-21-2012, 06:24 PM
No...Where I am from, and the people I deal with day to day, guns are not a problem. I have run into very few folks who are anti-gun. Perhaps they just may keep their mouths shut around me, but I make no bones about having and using firearms.

Firearms ownership and use are an essencial right and freedom of Americans. I see no reason why I should be afraid to talk about it to anybody anywhere.

Recluse
09-21-2012, 10:11 PM
Flying. reloading. shooting. life is good. GD

You just described both my life philosophy and my plans for this weekend. :)

I won't say where, but the day I met Recluse it was in the terminal of an airport where people look at you funny if you don't have a gun. GW

HA HA! Remember when Ben brought in those two long guns and everyone was passing them around and admiring them? The southern belle woman that was waiting on her son to fly in that bought my book knew as much about that tricked out 10/22 as Ben himself did!

Don't know if you noticed, but when she reached in her purse to get her checkbook out and write me a check, I saw one heckuva nice little stainless Colt Officer's Model.

It might've been a Fly-In that day, but everybody in that terminal was a gun-owner.

Still one of the best weekends I've ever had in my entire life.

wgr
09-21-2012, 10:17 PM
Im in indiana. my wife ,two, girls and my son have ccw.. and most people i m around. but i dont brag it up

Blacksmith
09-22-2012, 01:18 AM
I talk about guns all the time and am usually reading a gun book when in a waiting room. How else am I going to smoke out the libertards to convert them. Also I am always recruiting for the junior rifle club I coach, the Northern Chesapeake Sportsmen For Kids program, Friends Of The NRA banquet, Civilian Marksmanship Program, Maryland Shall Issue, and Second Amendment Foundation. I don't get specific about what I have but try to stay informed about gun activities and opportunities in the area and am always ready to refer people to sources of positive information. If you get into it with an anti usually a few facts will either shut them up or they will go away, liberals don't like and can't deal with facts.

abunaitoo
09-22-2012, 05:47 AM
Being in the damacraptic state of Hawaii, unless your around gun people, you don't want to let it out.
Almost all businesses, and the governmaet, are more likely to befriend a spouse beater, or child abuser, than a firearms owner.
Wasn't always like it is today.
The greatest generation, isn't the greatest for nothing.

WILCO
09-22-2012, 07:03 AM
Are you afraid to let people know you are a shooting sports enthusiast?

In past years I wasn't afraid to let folks know, but in more recent times I've clammed up for security and political reasons.