PDA

View Full Version : Big Lube (tm) Bullets

Dick Dastardly
07-30-2005, 11:27 PM
Howdy,

I'm new here. Just signed in. I've marketed and sold hundreds of Big Lube(tm) molds for SASS main match shooting. They are intended for fast action timed fire main match stage shooting.

Here finally is a black powder bullet design bullet that can be shot hundreds, maybe thousands, of times without need to clean to maintain accuracy or function.

The original, now well proven, designs are now widely recognized as state of the art for fast continuous no hassle shooting. This Big Lube(tm) technology is now finding it's way into long range shooting. Several experimental designs are showing great promise.

The holy grail of shooting dirty and shooting accurate may have at last been found. As learning happens I will try to post results.

DD-DLoS

felix
07-30-2005, 11:36 PM
Put the designs up on our board, please. We need to take a looksee. ... felix

Buckshot
07-31-2005, 04:39 AM
..........Howdy Dick, and welcome to the board. That post sounded like an advertisement[smilie=w:. (Which is just fine!) But where can we go to see these wunderkinder boolitten?

..........Buckshot

David R
07-31-2005, 06:16 AM
I went to Profile and went to this Link.

http://suburbanstudio.com/Carson%20City/dickd.htm

What are your molds made out of?

do you turn em or make cherries and do em in a mill?

Welcome

David

Leftoverdj
07-31-2005, 10:19 AM
I went to Profile and went to this Link.

http://suburbanstudio.com/Carson%20City/dickd.htm

What are your molds made out of?

do you turn em or make cherries and do em in a mill?

Welcome

David

From the price and the fact that they are all six cavities, he's having Lee do custom runs of his designs. Nothing wrong with that, and the markup does not look unreasonable considering the time and money invested.

44man
07-31-2005, 10:40 AM
I would like to see pictures of them. Nothing there but an order form.

13Echo
07-31-2005, 10:41 AM
For some additional opinions on the Big Lube bullets try this thread on the BPCR board. http://www.bpcr.net/forum-05/viewtopic.php?t=70. And for another view from CAS; http://www.frontierspot.org/viewtopic.php?t=1084

Personnally I'm a bit dubious about the claims, but I'm willing to be convinced. The findings so far on the BPCR board aren't very favorable, but that's mainly about the quality of the bullets being supplied. Still haven't shot them yet.

Jerry Liles

Cactus Cris
07-31-2005, 11:16 AM
As a new member of this brd- I can try to place a jpeg of one of the big lube boolits. I use it in a 73 44/40 loaded with BP and lube with Lyman BP Gold. Works fer me.

David R
07-31-2005, 02:21 PM
When I dig my 45 colt boolits out of the backstop, they still have lube in the groove. I have a lube star on the muzzle, do I need more? I don't shoot black powder, just smokeless.

Buckshot
08-01-2005, 08:16 AM
.............DavidR, I guess ya don't need more :-). I believe that these designs are aimed at the folks shooting BP, as Mr Dastardly does mention it right up front: "............Here finally is a black powder bullet design bullet...."

I went to the URL's mentioned and read with interest the thread by the few posters who had actually USED the slug. Also the CAS user thread.

As an aside I found it interesting that 'Boolit' was used by one. Wonder where THAT came from :D.

As regards thier treatment of the boolit and it's design, I think the person who sent the BPCR silhuette shooter the slugs to try, did a great dis-service to them. He obviously did not do a very good job of casting them. Secondly he wasn't very knowledgeable about accuracy requirements, and apparently sent slugs that we would toss without a 2nd look in visual culling. The recipient wasn't very enthused by what was delivered to him.

I have not seen a copy of the 400 and 500gr versions. One poster made remarks about possible nose slumping, which is a definate problem with soft boolits and unsupported noses. Another comment was the narrow 'Core' produced by the deep wide lube grooves would have the slug collapsing unevenly. I can't comment on that other then to mention the Wilkinson boolit used by some muzzle loaders. A current rendition produced by Lee for a gentleman named Gregg Eddington does well.

I have been out of that loop for quite some time, but I know that each run he did sold out rapidly, and the design DEPENDS on, and is designed to have the boolit collapse to a degree at ignition.

Lube issues the BPCR silhuette guys deal with is similar to those shooting the mid, and long range muzzle loaders. Mid range is 600, 800, and 900 yards BTW. Differences are (just to be thorough) is that the ML'ers being loaded from the front generally have their bores wiped at each loading. Breech fouling is an issue tho'.

The problem is the fact that we don't have the assortment of black powders available to us they had 'back in the day', and the closest is probably the Swiss, which burns moist. Meaning H2O is a by-product of combustion and produced a softer type fouling, and it was pretty powerfull stuff.

Since this is the case, modern BP shooters try to mitigate the fouling issue by several means. One is lube to try and keep the fouling soft. Others are hot primers, powder compression, grease cookies, blow tubes, frequent wiping, or using a smokless powder against the primer to 'Hot Up' the ignition further.

Lube by itself though can cause it's own problems, such as the Lube Purging theory. It may be vaid as many tests have been done and shown that especially with mild target loads, too much lube spoils accuracy. In my own case a very obvious accuracy spoiling event with my 58 cal P58 Enfield is if I put lube in the Minie' boolit's lube grooves vs only in the base cavity. Lube in the cavity will produce exceptional accuracy. Put the lube in the grooves (or in both places) and the slugs just kind of wander all over the place.

I'm sure the Big Lube boolit design (if I might be so bold as to assume, and it seems obvious) is a design intended to try a fix the fouling issue, lube wise. Whether the heavier ones will have an application in the long range aspects of rifle shooting will have to be proven against designs and thought that have been proven since the late 1850's.

..............Buckshot

Dutch4122
08-01-2005, 08:21 AM
My father, who shoots a little CAS, explained it to me this way about the high lube capacity; the pistol boolits are getting use among the cowboy crowd who like to shoot BP in their sixguns and leverguns. Seems they want something that will carry enough BP lube so that they can shoot more before cleaning and keep the fouling soft. He's not concerned with 500-1000 yard accuracy on the short range events, just "minute of pie plate" out to 30 yards or so.

Can't comment on the 400 and 500 grain boolits that the BPCR guys are discussing as I don't think he's looked in to those yet.