PDA

View Full Version : 92 years

Love Life
09-20-2012, 09:42 PM
I have been a collector of wheat pennies since I got my first one from my Grandfather many years agao.

He had had the penny since his childhood and had been given it by his father. The penny was dated 1920. The stories he told me of that penny's travels just amazed my young mind. I could picture myself riding a train across country, being a door to door salesman, working at a sawmill, maybe spending a little time in a speak easy. My imagination was unlimited.

Ever since that day I have collected them. I wanted to know their story, and many times you could find me conducting inventory on my collection of treasure, and just imagining what these interesting coins had seen in their day.

At first I sought them out at yard sales, flea markets, and when the internet became viable along with the auction website the sky was the limit (along with my underage, under the table small jobs money).

I logged them in by date into a log book I created. Over the years I quit actively seeking them. I would search through all my change, pick them up from shows if I saw them, and that was really about it.

According to my logbook the last wheat penny I added to my collection was at a shell station in Alabama on 20090804.

Fast forward and guess what I got today? There in the change handed back to me at the store was a prize. A wheat penny just waiting for the next leg of it's journey. The date on the penny is 1920. Over three years between wheat pennies, and the excitement I felt was the same as it was whenever I came across one as a kiddo.

I wonder where this penny has been during the last 92 years?

No real point to this story, but I just wanted to share a positive thing from the day.

fecmech
09-20-2012, 09:57 PM
Maybe your Grandad wanted to brighten your day a bit.

OBIII
09-20-2012, 10:00 PM
Old coins never die. They just find a new pocket.

WILCO
09-20-2012, 11:50 PM
I always love finding a wheat penny in my change. See if you can get yourself a book on grading coins and a jewlers loupe: http://www.widgetsupply.com/product/SAA4-21C.html?gclid=COf2rZDhxbICFYNM4AodiXAAGw

The official Blackbook is truly an asset for grading coins. Mine is the 1997 edition and it's held together with duck tape!: http://www.amazon.com/Official-Blackbook-United-States-Edition/dp/0375723463

waksupi
09-21-2012, 01:00 AM
On one of our farms was the original house my great great grand parents had lived in. By the time I was a kid, the hogs and cattle had the run of the house. If we would go out after a hard rain, we could find Indian head pennies, dimes, half dimes, and an occasional quarter in what had been the yard area. No one had any real good answer for why so much change had been scattered around. One story had it great great grand dad would have a bit too much to drink and throw all of his change out of his pockets when he got home. I do know a still blew up in the basement of the house back in the 30's, but don't think that had anything to do with the money distribution.

linotype
09-21-2012, 10:03 AM
I wonder where this penny has been during the last 92 years?

When I happen to notice a coin's date from years pass, I wonder the same thing.
I have a few old firearms and milsurplus, and as I research about that model, I wonder what stories they could tell. I just wish I could ask the previous owners.

firefly1957
09-21-2012, 07:36 PM
I have been getting wheat pennies in change lately also my guess is they were stolen by kids/family and used as change. Last one i got was at a truck stop on I-94 in Montana I forget the year it is in my box with the rest of them.

bob208
09-22-2012, 09:47 AM
last monday i was at a parking lot looked down saw a penny i picked it up. it is a 1958 d. only problem it is beat up.

with tough times it is wise to check your change. i have found weat pennies and silver coins.