PDA

View Full Version : Prepping Concerns: components

Idaho Sharpshooter
09-20-2012, 02:30 AM
There is beginning to be more discussion here about the coming election and the two possibilities. And prepping for the bad one.

As far as firearms:

Buy an AR and 2000 rounds each of FMJ and SP ammunition. Believe me, you are
NOT going to be out recreational shooting. More is good, but that is a great start and 5 years worth.

Buy two Glocks in 9mm, or preferably 40 S&W and about the same amount of SP ammunition.

Buy two of the new Ruger takedown 10-22's and 10,000 rounds of HV LR HP and solids.

Nobody is coming from another country. Nuclear weapons will handle that after the first strike from anybody.

Concentrate on the groceries. You will have to eat about three good meals a day.

Rich
Sua Sponte*

* Sua Sponte is the Ranger Motto. It translates roughly as "of their own accord".

smokeywolf
09-20-2012, 03:35 AM
Idaho Sharpshooter,
Keep in mind, if food is difficult to procure, so is everything else. All types of fuel, toilet paper, tools, all meds. Better have a comprehensive first aid/trauma kit, and know how to use everything in it. Because in a SHTF scenario, good luck getting into an emergency room. If you have babies or grandbabies, you better have a whole batch of cloth diapers on hand, cuz the Huggies or Pampers won't last forever. Most folks forget the simple stuff like deodorant and toothbrushes, spare pairs of eyeglasses.

Lloyd Smale
09-20-2012, 05:12 AM
Im probably not one to lecture as ive got more ammo and guns then 5 average dedicated shooters have but in my opinion if you have money about 90 percent should be spent on food, medical supplys and tp,soap ect and 10 percent on arming yourself.

leftiye
09-20-2012, 06:50 AM
Sway too late if the election is the cutoff.

Houndog
09-20-2012, 08:03 AM
Sadly, FAR too many folks over think the defense part of a SHTF situation and WAY too little about WATER, (SHOULD be #1) food, shelter and their medical needs. It doesn't have to be a societal collapse. Some type of natural disaster could put a bunch of people in a world of hurt for an extended length of time! YES, defense is important and MOST forward thinking folks like we have here are well prepaired, but Bubba with nothing more than a 22 and a few boxes of ammo can defend himself suprisingly well. If you don't have Water, food and shelter, nothing else will matter. You won't live long enough to need the other stuff.

Jim
09-20-2012, 08:39 AM
Sadly, FAR too many folks over think the defense part of a SHTF situation and WAY too little about WATER, (SHOULD be #1) food, shelter and their medical needs. It doesn't have to be a societal collapse. Some type of natural disaster could put a bunch of people in a world of hurt for an extended length of time! YES, defense is important and MOST forward thinking folks like we have here are well prepaired, but Bubba with nothing more than a 22 and a few boxes of ammo can defend himself suprisingly well. If you don't have Water, food and shelter, nothing else will matter. You won't live long enough to need the other stuff.

This is what Janet and I prepare toward.

Every time we go to the grocery store, Janet always puts a couple cans of something extra in the basket. We're building a cache of food that we expect we might need for a long, bad winter. We also keep enough food for our dogs to last us awhile. Our dogs are not only our companions, they are our security system.

I keep multiple 15 lb. bottles of propane on hand. Every time I go through one, I start another and refill the empty. When winter gets close(about now!), I fill six 5 gallon jugs full of K-1 kerosene for my tower heater. Just like I do with the propane, I rotate and refill.

There's a box type wood stove on the back deck and I've got a complete set of flue piping under the house along with a plywood insert to go in a window to set up the stove in the house. There's more deadwood layin' around than I could load in a dump truck.

I keep four 5 gallon cans of fresh gasoline on hand. I mark the fill date on each with a sharpie marker, burn it every 30 to 45 days, rotate and refill. I have a generator in the shed.

We live 3/10ths of a mile off the blacktop, up on a ridge, and 5 miles from a small mountain town. We're 30 miles from the nearest metropolis. Our nearest neighbors are a herd of cattle. I'm not the least bit worried about 'zombies' coming up the road to rob us. I'm worried about keeping my wife and myself warm, fed and healthy.

If the situation went badly south, I could drive my truck to the creek at the bottom of the hill and fill buckets with water. If fresh meat were needed, there's plenty of small game that can be had with nothing more than my little Cricket 'coon huntin' rifle.

Some people think I'm 'doomsday paranoid'. I've been in Floyd County less than four years and have already seen a winter than had us trapped in the house for two weeks. And I saw letters to the editor in the small, local paper from people complaining about the highway department not getting their roads plowed out by the next morning.

I'm guessing that 98(?)% of my motivation to make all these preperations comes from three types of training. Boy Scouts, years of studying survival skills and safety training in industrial construction.

I can't say I'm ready for ANYTHING, but I'm a dang sight better prepared than a lot of these ol' boys up here that have been here all their lives.

Jeeesh, this is a LONG post.

10-x
09-20-2012, 08:58 AM
Just a FYI for everyone, check out frugalsquirrels forum, sign up and read threads, excellent advice.

FISH4BUGS
09-20-2012, 09:03 AM
Always buy a few extra cans of food each week when you shop. Build your inventory fo food. We contract with a local organic grower and keep the freezer full with chickens, burgers, sausage. Rotate constantly. 50 gallons of gasoline in reserve to run the generator. Keep the propane tank filled. Wood stove is coming. Water is from a 600 foot deep well.
Enough components to make 10,000 (easily) rounds of ammo. AR-15's, shotgun, handguns, and a few machine guns just for fun. 308 rifle with a 6 x 24 Burris for the long distance work. 308 Bushmaster for heavier lifting.
The ice storm of 2010 left us without power for 11 days. It was actually kind of pleasant. The one lesson we took from that is gasoline. Never enough gasoline.
If nothing happens I'l l never have to buy another round of ammo as long as I live.
My friends think I am nuts. Maybe I am but I am hoping for the best and planning for the worst.
Remember the grasshopper and the ant children's story?

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-20-2012, 09:06 AM
I prepped for Y2K (when nothing happened), and I grew up with parents who were children during the great depression, so I understand food stores quite well.

ANYWAY, what I learned, in my years, about prepping for a disaster is...Hoard items that you know. If you reload, go ahead and hoard components and raw materials, assembled, it will be great trade fodder. If you garden, then hoard seeds. If you happen to be a volunteer fireman or EMT, hoard medical supplies.

Of course a family should have a fair supply of basics, what I am talking about is Hoarding, having an unreasonable supply of. (unreasonable in normal conditions).

Back in Y2K, a friend bought two 5 gallon buckets of powdered egg...He never ate powdered egg before, about a half a dozen years after Y2K, The powdered egg became fertilizer. Be smart in your prepping, don't waste good money. About the stupidest thing I bought while prepping for Y2K was a few cartons of smokes. I figured if they were good for trade in prison, then they'd probably be good in a crisis. I put them in the freezer and forgot about them...5 years later they went in the trash.
Good Luck,
Jon

375RUGER
09-20-2012, 09:10 AM
as far a fireams-get what you really want. My thoughts on the ARs and 9s is that when you really need one, there will be plenty of them lying around on the ground. You will need to protect what belongs to you and yours [smilie=1: though in the mean time.
You can never have too much .22 ammo.

The other posters have given some good advise about real preparation. It's hard to grow things in this NM sand but I had a pretty good garden this year and plan on have 2X as big next year. I developed a pretty decent moisture retention system.

I'm saving as much seed as I can and my folks are saving a bunch of stuff too.

When it :dung_hits_fan: a garden will have to have armed guard 24/7.

I have a bit of stuff I canned this year and quite a bit of stuff in the freezer. I didn't get enough but it's a good start. My goal is to put up enough to have a 18 month supply. I think it's doable with what I got to work with.

I always have fresh water in 5 gal containers in the house just in case my well goes down. I have a generator that will run the well pump.

Keep your eyes and ears open, At the first sign of anything that may go wrong get the to grocer and buy up as much non perisable as you have credit. You want to be the first one there. Don't wait until the rioting starts to act, you want to be 2-3 days ahead of that, before everyone else figures out "hey, I need to get some food before it's all gone". This goes for fuel and anything thing else.

Start getting extra stuff now and rotate the stock you use. The new stuff you buy goes to the back and the oldest gets used first.

Idaho Sharpshooter
09-20-2012, 12:57 PM
375Ruger,

I am not sure about that. Many of the great unwashed masses will be following, as the red chinese and north koreans did in 1949 waiting to pick up from the dead.

I adopted one part of the Mormon Creed; preparedness. Loading up and rotating canned goods is standard, and I meet the combines in fall and buy bulk beans and rice and corn.

Sounds like those who saw this and responded have their heads on right.

ElDorado
09-20-2012, 01:51 PM
When it :dung_hits_fan: a garden will have to have armed guard 24/7.

As well as everything else you've worked so hard to gather and store. You can have all the food, water, and fuel that you'll need for 10 years, and unless you have the means and the will to defend it, it will soon belong to someone else.

I would be careful about who you let know about your stash, or you'll be a target after the crash.

smokeywolf
09-20-2012, 07:59 PM
Is everyone aware of this?

EXECUTIVE ORDER 10995 allows the government to seize and control the communication media.

EXECUTIVE ORDER 10997 allows the government to take over all electrical power, gas, petroleum, fuels and minerals.

EXECUTIVE ORDER 10998 allows the government to take over all food resources and farms.

EXECUTIVE ORDER 11000 allows the government to mobilize civilians into work brigades under government supervision.

EXECUTIVE ORDER 11001 allows the government to take over all health, education and welfare functions.

EXECUTIVE ORDER 11002 designates the Postmaster General to operate a national registration of all persons.

EXECUTIVE ORDER 11003 allows the government to take over all airports and aircraft, including commercial aircraft.

EXECUTIVE ORDER 11004 allows the Housing and Finance Authority to relocate communities, build new housing with public funds, designate areas to be abandoned, and establish new locations for populations.

EXECUTIVE ORDER 11005 allows the government to take over railroads, inland waterways and public storage facilities.

EXECUTIVE ORDER 11051 specifies the responsibility of the Office of Emergency Planning and gives authorization to put all Executive Orders into effect in times of increased international tensions and economic or financial crisis.

EXECUTIVE ORDER 11310 grants authority to the Department of Justice to enforce the plans set out in Executive Orders, to institute industrial support, to establish judicial and legislative liaison, to control all aliens, to operate penal and correctional institutions, and to advise and assist the President.

EXECUTIVE ORDER 11049 assigns emergency preparedness function to federal departments and agencies, consolidating 21 operative Executive Orders issued over a fifteen year period.

EXECUTIVE ORDER 11921 allows the Federal Emergency Preparedness Agency to develop plans to establish control over the mechanisms of production and distribution, of energy sources, wages, salaries, credit and the flow of money in U.S. financial institution in any undefined national emergency. It also provides that when a state of emergency is declared by the President, Congress cannot review the action for six months.

Found here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/70502676/Federal-Anti-Hoarding-Law

runfiverun
09-20-2012, 09:57 PM
so on about nov 3rd a national emergency [crisis] should pop up????

09-20-2012, 10:38 PM
Did Barry issue those Executive Orders?

wgr
09-20-2012, 11:38 PM
the biggest problem will be getting meds. some folks can,t last long without them.

blackthorn
09-21-2012, 12:57 PM
Is everyone aware of this?

EXECUTIVE ORDER 10995 allows the government to seize and control the communication media.

EXECUTIVE ORDER 10997 allows the government to take over all electrical power, gas, petroleum, fuels and minerals.

EXECUTIVE ORDER 10998 allows the government to take over all food resources and farms.

EXECUTIVE ORDER 11000 allows the government to mobilize civilians into work brigades under government supervision.

EXECUTIVE ORDER 11001 allows the government to take over all health, education and welfare functions.

EXECUTIVE ORDER 11002 designates the Postmaster General to operate a national registration of all persons.

EXECUTIVE ORDER 11003 allows the government to take over all airports and aircraft, including commercial aircraft.

EXECUTIVE ORDER 11004 allows the Housing and Finance Authority to relocate communities, build new housing with public funds, designate areas to be abandoned, and establish new locations for populations.

EXECUTIVE ORDER 11005 allows the government to take over railroads, inland waterways and public storage facilities.

EXECUTIVE ORDER 11051 specifies the responsibility of the Office of Emergency Planning and gives authorization to put all Executive Orders into effect in times of increased international tensions and economic or financial crisis.

EXECUTIVE ORDER 11310 grants authority to the Department of Justice to enforce the plans set out in Executive Orders, to institute industrial support, to establish judicial and legislative liaison, to control all aliens, to operate penal and correctional institutions, and to advise and assist the President.

EXECUTIVE ORDER 11049 assigns emergency preparedness function to federal departments and agencies, consolidating 21 operative Executive Orders issued over a fifteen year period.

EXECUTIVE ORDER 11921 allows the Federal Emergency Preparedness Agency to develop plans to establish control over the mechanisms of production and distribution, of energy sources, wages, salaries, credit and the flow of money in U.S. financial institution in any undefined national emergency. It also provides that when a state of emergency is declared by the President, Congress cannot review the action for six months.

Found here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/70502676/Federal-Anti-Hoarding-Law

Free country???----Yeah--Right!!

quilbilly
09-21-2012, 01:30 PM
We raise Ozette potatoes for this very reason besides tasting good and loving our cool rainy climate for the last 250 years. The Makah tribe took them from the Spaniards when they ran them off the Olympic Peninsula in the mid 1700's. I just need one more season to have enough for a full planting so am crossing my fingers.
BTW - Most of the above executive orders have been around since we were told to hide under desks and look for the nearest fallout shelter (Eisenhower administration). You should look into who the senior federal official will be in your region is as he will be in charge. Here in the Northwest (Wash, Ore, Id) it is the Coast Guard admiral at the federal building in downtown Seattle and I don't believe that has changed in the last 15 years.

aa1911
09-21-2012, 01:47 PM
food, water, shelter and other essentials along with the means and will to defend it. As firearms enthusiasts, I think we tend to over think the ammo issue also, most efforts should focus on food/water and a plan. (although I'm buying as much as I can afford)

that being said, I agree that you should hoard whatever you can, whether it be bullets, food, medical, etc. in a SHTF scenario, the new currency will be those very things, the bartering system will be in effect for the most part. So have extra that you can trade for things that you will need. No matter how prepared you think you are, there will be something you will want that you don't have.

Blacksmith
09-22-2012, 01:32 AM
As the dollar looses value hard goods increase in value. The things you have can be traded for the things you need but the most valuable thing you have is what you know. They can take your goods but they can't take your knowledge because only you know how much of that there is. Learn a trade that will be needed and develop the skill to practice it and you will always have something to trade.

bob208
09-22-2012, 04:47 PM
when the insulin stops me and my wife are done too. so that is why we have made up our minds to say put on the farm and fight it out.

Hickory
09-22-2012, 04:55 PM
Did Barry issue those Executive Orders?

Every one!

Dorf
09-22-2012, 09:23 PM
SMokey Wolf, Hickory: Question: has anyone run this "Executive Order" thing by Snopes for verification? I tried to find any info available and was unsuccessful. I would appreciate some verification. I already see far too much panic stuff on the internet so I tend to be a bit curious. Not meaning to offend question anyone's veracity, but.
Thx, Stan

Blacksmith
09-22-2012, 11:06 PM
Dorf

It looks like those EO numbers are not in BO's series. That doesn't mean he hasn't signed something similar or worse.

Here is the mother load of all Executive Orders and I will let you do your own research to see who signed what when. Here is the link:
http://www.archives.gov/federal-register/executive-orders/

Blammer
09-23-2012, 10:38 AM
Nothing like a good crisis scare to get what you want!

(hmm, sound familiar?)

Dorf
09-23-2012, 03:09 PM
Blacksmith: Mucho Gracias-- that's the info I was lookin' for.
Blammer: How true, how very true. :-)

Thx to all. Stan

Blacksmith
09-23-2012, 03:47 PM
In the above list it looks like Executive orders 10995 through 11051 were issued by Kennedy

11310 issued by Johnson

Executive Order 11310
Assigning emergency preparedness functions to the Attorney General

Signed: October 11, 1966
Federal Register page and date: 31 FR 13199; October 13, 1966
Revoked by: EO 11490, October 28, 1969

11921 issued by Ford

Executive Order 11921
Adjusting emergency preparedness assignments to organizational and functional changes in Federal departments and agencies

Signed: June 11, 1976
Federal Register page and date: 41 FR 24294; June 15, 1976
Amends: EO 11490, October 28, 1969
Amended by: EO 12046, March 27, 1978
Supersedes: EO 11522, April 6, 1970; EO 11556, September 4, 1970 (in part); EO 11746, November 7, 1973
See: EO 11953, January 7, 1977; Pub. L. 94-412 (90 Stat. 1255, 50 U.S.C. 1601)

ole 5 hole group
09-24-2012, 08:21 AM
For those who like to keep a little gas in reserve - purchase avaition or white gas and don't worry about rotation - it'll stay "fresh" a looon time. My last 2 fills on the mower/snowblower/outboard etc are with avaition gas and six months later or a year later they all start up on 1st or 2nd pull.

MtGun44
09-24-2012, 02:50 PM
Great advice, except that avgas costs about $5-7 per gallon depending on where you get
it. It also has a lot of lead and will ruin your catalyst. Not an issue in SHTF situations but
bad news if you ever test it.

Bill

reloader28
09-24-2012, 11:35 PM
I dont want to run the generator any more then I have to. I think the noise will attract unwanteds and use up hard to find or expensive fuel.

Its nice to have full freezers, but everyone really needs to learn to can your meat too. You dont want to have to rely on a generator and having to keep a pile of gas on hand at all times plus canned meat lasts for YEARS.

Have a smoker to cure meats also. If the power goes out for good, you can run a gen for an hour once or twice a day and keep the freezer cold until everything is smoked and/or canned.

If you have an electric stove then you really need to get a Coleman liquid fuel stove. These will burn Coleman fuel or normal gasoline with no problem at all. Even the old ones before the new "duel fuel" work great. Plus you can hunt around and get a propane adapter for these stoves. Coleman fuel dont go bad but its very expensive. Normal fuel goes bad after awhile so I always use Stabile and aint had any problems in stoves or lanterns.

You can also buy a 12v light bulb and put it in a table lamp. Make an extension cord with alligator clips for a marine battery. I put the clips right on a 2 bulb tower lamp. That way it wont accidentally get plugged into the wall. With a solar panel and 2 batteries, you can have quiet lighting for a LONG time and they are very bright. We also have an inverter to run the fans on the wood stove and chimney heat reclaimer and a short cord with battery clips on one end and a cigerette lighter on the other end for charging anything that will plug into a cigerette lighter.

Junior1942
09-25-2012, 12:11 PM
My tips:

1. Install a propane tank. Mine's a 150 gallon which I keep full. Last fill, last month, cost $2.20 per gallon.

2. Look at the expiration dates on ALL of your canned food. Mark each can with a much more visible number such as 3-13, which means it expires in March 2013. That allows you to easily tell which can is the oldest so you can eat it first.

3. Re-fill every 2L or bigger plastic bottle with water and store it in a cool dark place.

4. Stop worrying.

M-Tecs
09-25-2012, 12:30 PM
Don’t plan on hunting for more than two to three weeks unless you are truly remote. If you are hungry chances are that your neighbor are hunger also. Game will not last long with that type of pressure.