PDA

View Full Version : Coon Club reorganizing for season

Jim
09-19-2012, 05:08 PM
I saw my 'coon huntin' buddy today. There's gonna be a big meetin' Friday night at the club house to reorganize some competition rules for the upcoming season. He's my team leader and he said I need to be there 'cause my name's gonna come up.

Apparently, I have the closest ratio of shots per kills last year, 1 shot for every 'coon killed by the team I hunt with. They're going to establish a new system of keeping records for the designated shooters to see who's got the best ratio at the end of the season. The winner gets a new rifle.

I'll be postin' photos at the end of March of my new rifle! [smilie=w: :bigsmyl2:

Trey45
09-19-2012, 05:10 PM
I'll be postin' photos at the end of March of my new rifle! [smilie=w: :bigsmyl2:

No doubt.

bowfin
09-19-2012, 05:31 PM
I'm pulling for you!

I've got a long legged hound and a son built the same way. I have trouble keeping up with both, but when the fur gets closer to prime I need to get them both out along the rivers.

472x1B/A
09-19-2012, 08:36 PM
How much are you hoping your hides birng this year Jim? On average that is.

firefly1957
09-19-2012, 09:01 PM
Cast boolits should get extra points along with reloads!

Jim
09-20-2012, 07:45 AM
How much are you hoping your hides birng this year Jim? On average that is.

Jeff, my buddy, is the team leader. He deals with the pelts. If I remember correctly from last season, he got $15 each for pelts with no holes. That's why I always look for a vantage point to shoot from to make a head shot. That, and braggin' rights.

firefly1957
09-20-2012, 06:49 PM
Yes it is Jim and doing it with your own load gives double bragging rights. I bet he would have heart failure if he seen some of the coons I have shot I do it as pest control in my yard and sometimes do bullet tests at the same time . I can tell you that a 200 gr .452 bullet of pressed #2 shot in a jacket at 900 f/s makes a mess exiting a coon not at all what you are interested in!

Jim
09-20-2012, 06:53 PM
We hunt with 22s, not centerfire. Another reason why I carry the little light weight Cricket. Rifle, scope and sling is 4 lbs. I put it on my shoulder mexican style and walk hands free all night.

firefly1957
09-20-2012, 07:17 PM
I thought you were using that .223 with cast my mistake !

Jim
09-20-2012, 07:46 PM
Oh, I most certainly intend to load toward that and try it. Matter o' fact, I just received a Weaver base today to scope the rifle. On most hunts, though, I carry the Cricket. Now that I've got my Stevens 15-A tuned and dialed in, I'm gonna kill a few with that.

ph4570
09-20-2012, 09:00 PM
Good luck in the hunts.

472x1B/A
09-20-2012, 09:52 PM
$15.00 is a pretty fair price for East coast coon hides. If one goes to put up their own fur and send to an international market they can come out with good money. Selling local can be somewhat risky sometimes. Most small time fur buyers really grade hard on all fur, in the round, skinned, or streched.
Good luck on your hunting competition and winning that rifle.

Hoss in IL
09-21-2012, 12:17 AM
Hey Jim, Good to see another coon hunter! I quit carrying a rifle about 10 years ago. I carry a Ruger MKII with a 6 7/8" barrel. I have real good luck with it. The only time I miss having my old rifle is when I tree in a Pin Oak that still has a lot of leaves or when I'm trying to knock one out of a real tall Cottonwood tree. A scope would be nice then.

Good luck on winning the rifle this season!

JeffinNZ
09-21-2012, 01:45 AM
Jim, can you capture a breeding pair and FedEx them to me? I will establish a population on this side of the Pacific also. Oh, and some squirrels please.

OneSkinnyMass
09-21-2012, 02:06 AM
How many hunters in your club Jim?

Skinny

Norbrat
09-21-2012, 02:09 AM
Jim, can you capture a breeding pair and FedEx them to me? I will establish a population on this side of the Pacific also. Oh, and some squirrels please.

Yer kdding, right? :bigsmyl2:

Haven't you Kiwis learnt your lesson with importing vermin? Rabbits, possums, stoats, cats, pigs, goats, etc?

Mind you, us Aussies are just as dumb; rabbits, foxes, cats, goats, pigs, camels, cane toads, etc, etc.

No more ferals!!

OneSkinnyMass
09-21-2012, 02:09 AM
and Good Shooting this season.

Skinny

Jim
09-21-2012, 02:31 AM
How many hunters in your club Jim?

Skinny

I don't know, I've never seen the membership list. There's a bunch o' guys that join just to hunt the competitions and I only see them at the ACHA hunts. I don't go to them very often 'cause I can't keep up with them young boys. They're all in a big rush to climb them 45 degree slopes. 'Bout the most I've ever seen at a meetin' is around 25 or so. Some of 'em are from Montgomerey County and some are from Carroll County.

The team I hunt with is Jeff, the huntmaster, his two sons, Skyler and Paul and another guy named Vince. Vince and Paul are dog handlers and Skyler and I are shooters. Skyler can shoot pretty good, but he refuses to use a scope, so he usually has to take two or three shots.

OneSkinnyMass
09-21-2012, 02:55 AM
Sounds like you're having fun and showing your skills, can't beat that.

Good luck and straight shooting,

Skinny

Jim
09-21-2012, 03:36 AM
I'll be posting photos by the end of October, hopefully sooner.

GL49
09-21-2012, 06:28 PM
Hey Jim, how about posting a photo of your cricket with a scope mounted on it?

Jim
09-22-2012, 07:46 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=133993

Jim
09-22-2012, 03:31 PM
Well, as usual in a meeting where decisions are being made, somebody had to rain on the parade. When it was announced that a rifle would be given for the best shot to kill ratio at the end of the season, two guys got up and protested because one shoots with a rifle without a scope and the other guy uses a pistol. They argued I had an advantage with a scope.

So, after a bunch of squabbling, the whole thing got trashed. Wonderful evening. :evil:

GL49
09-22-2012, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the link to the photo, Jim. I've got a Chipmunk that was manufactured in Prospect, Oregon, I wanted to see how you mounted the scope. The flashlight is a neat idea, I'm going to have to try that.

Jim
09-22-2012, 06:58 PM
The light bracket is a rimfire pincher style scope ring. I had to redneck it with small screws to get the halves to clamp together. The pincers slide on the barrel and become an interference fit.

GL49
09-22-2012, 10:33 PM
I thought real rednecks only used duct tape. I've got lots of that. You must be in that "elite and classier" group of rednecks. Thanks for the info.

Larry

blackthorn
09-24-2012, 05:02 PM
Too bad a couple of clowns that can't shoot bolox things up for everyone else! If they can't hit with what they use, why are they out there anyway??

Jim
09-24-2012, 07:29 PM
Too bad a couple of clowns that can't shoot bolox things up for everyone else! If they can't hit with what they use, why are they out there anyway??

The club doesn't stipulate or require a member to prove his worthiness with a rifle to join. Kinda' like this forum, members are not required to prove experience. [smilie=1:

blackthorn
09-25-2012, 12:24 PM
Well---of course not. My point was that whining and sniveling that someone else has an edge due to their equipment is usually just an excuse for someone who is a poor (or at least substandard) shot! Case in point: Years ago I was range director for a small indoor range. We had this guy who wanted two of us banned from club competitions because we had good 190 Anshutz target rifles. This same guy didn't want to shoot in the lane next to the wall because he said the air waves from the wall threw his shots off. One night I got tired of lisening to him whine, so I went in and took the prone position next to the wall and had him hand me ten, randomly selected, club rifles (one at a time). These rifles were old .22's donated to the club for teaching the juniors and some had shortened stocks for the little kids. Long story short---I shot a ten (9X) target. Point made! The point of my post (above) was that your club members are likely just jelous of the fact that they know you are a better shot and they have no chance of beating you out if the competition went ahed. Sort of an "if I cant win---no one else will either!"

Jim
09-25-2012, 12:38 PM
Well---of course not. My point was that whining and sniveling that someone else has an edge due to their equipment is usually just an excuse for someone who is a poor (or at least substandard) shot! ..... The point of my post (above) was that your club members are likely just jelous of the fact that they know you are a better shot and they have no chance of beating you out if the competition went ahed. Sort of an "if I cant win---no one else will either!"

Yeah, really. That's awright, I don't have to brag about my shooting. Jeff, Billy and Vince do it for me. Besides, I have a helluva lot more fun huntin' with Jeff's team than those other guys do. And when the season's over, we'll have put more 'coons up trees and on the ground than they will, too.

I don't need a new rifle anyhow. I told Janet I wanted another rifle to hunt with and she told me to go pick out what I wanted and order it. So, I just ordered a Marlin XT-TSR.

I can put 'coons on the ground with anything as long as it's dialed in. Besides, I got the entire cast and crew of Cast Boolits backin' me. So there! Tell them *******es to stick THAT in their primer pocket!

blackthorn
09-26-2012, 11:46 AM
Good hunting!!!