PDA

View Full Version : Need some help on sizing!

dmclark523
09-19-2012, 04:20 PM
So I'm shooting 230gn .45acp, and I have some confusion here about sizing.

So I've been experimenting. I dip-lubed about 10 rounds and then sized them. Gunked up the boolits and the sizer.

After I cleaned my sizer I followed RanchDog and sprayed some WD40 on my rounds and in my sizer, then sized about 50 rounds, while checking for leading in my die and spraying more WD40.

So where do I go from here? Do I now tumble lube those rounds and then resize again? Or should I just tumble-lube, size, and reload?

How should I go about this?

Echo
09-19-2012, 08:24 PM
WELL - I would recommend foregoing the WD40. My guess is that it, being on the boolits, might interfere with the LLA adhering to the boolits. You can TL them per Recluse's technique, and see what happens.
The TL technique, as shown by Recluse, has worked very well for me in low intensity cartridges such as the .45ACP and .38 Special.
Typically, one should lube, size, then re-lube, either straight LLA or 45-45-10.

5shotbfr
09-19-2012, 10:01 PM
i'd forgo the wd40 as well. i would bet that you are using way to much alox .
just use enough to barely coat them .
when they are dry you should have a hard time telling if they are lubed at all .

fcvan
09-19-2012, 10:16 PM
Back when I was till pan lubing, I used a small round tin pan about 4" across. I would put the boolits in the pan, heat the lube and boolits, and then let cool. When the lube cooled I would push the lube and boolits out of the thin/flimsy tin pan and then puch the boolits out of the lube. Later, I dipped the boolits and placed them on wax paper which made it easy to pick off the boolit and leave the excess lube behind. Eventually, I would dip lube and place on wax paper, and then use a cutter to pop the boolits off the wax paper. More than enough lube stayed int the groove and the wasn't so much excess that it gunked up the seating die. The wax paper really helped and I could peel the excess lube off the wax paper to place back in the little tin pan. I only did this for a few months before I got a lube sizer I hope this helps. Frank

Larry Gibson
09-19-2012, 11:15 PM
Or should I just tumble-lube, size, and reload?

Assuming you are allowing sufficient drying time between TLing and sizing?

You might follow the directions for LLA; TL lightly, let dry, size, TL lightly again, let dry and then load.

Larry Gibson

runfiverun
09-19-2012, 11:44 PM
see above for t/l instructions.
i do the 45/45 offshoot i make the same way.

Inkman
09-20-2012, 12:18 AM
You might follow the directions for LLA; TL lightly, let dry, size, TL lightly again, let dry and then load.

Larry Gibson

^^ Simple, precise and to the point. This is what works for me.

Al

Recluse
09-20-2012, 04:05 AM
THE most common mistake, bar none, that folks new to tumble-lubing make is using too much lube.

Ranch Dog dip lubed his boolits as they were going to be traveling at a high rate of speed down a long barrel. A .45ACP doesn't have either of those issues--slow moving out of a short barrel.

A light coat of lube, let dry, size, a light coat of lube, let dry, load.

:coffee:

turmech
09-20-2012, 12:50 PM
I mostly pan lube after sizing bullets through a lee sizer. I use either WD40 or case lube to size the bullets depending on how much I am sizing down (WD40 for less sizing). The WD40 or case lube has never caused issue with contaminating the lube for me. I do put the sized bullets on a rag wipe them down together after sizing to remove the excess WD40 then I let the rest evaporate before final lube.

I have used the dip lube method as well. As previously stated this is for more demanding applications then are required for 45 acp, but I could not see a problem with dip lubing them. Thin the LLA with mineral sprits (about 10%)heat it up with hot water or something similar (don’t get too hot). Dip the bullets and remove excess with a cake cutter made from a fired case (dill a hole in the used primer of the spent case, don’t resize, insert framing nail backwards to push the bullet back out).

mdi
09-20-2012, 01:06 PM
You don't have to use alox before sizing. I don't. You can use anything that will make the bullets slippery. I've done a lot with Mink Oil Boot Dressing on every 3rd or so bullet. Easy, no die leading. I too shy away from WD40 as a bullet sizing or case lube. I tumble lube (or dip lube ) last, let dry and load...