PDA

View Full Version : Lee 1000

kbstenberg
09-19-2012, 08:55 AM
I am getting a used Lee pro 1000 set up for 45acp with the large primer attachment. Is the only part that I have to purchase a #11 Lee Shell Plate. To convert it over to load 44Mag/Spcl.
For those with a 1000. Will a Lee bullet feed fit in the 3 station setup? If I can use the bullet feed is there a special die needed for inserting the bullet into the case?
I intend to size all my cases on a single stage press.
After I post this I am going to go to Cowboy T's + Lees sight and see what I can about setup of the machine
Kevin

.5mv^2
09-19-2012, 09:37 AM
Here is how I use my Lee 1000 3 position presses. I got a couple of them several years ago.

Had trouble with the primer mechanism. For reliability I took that stage out. I deprime/resize on a single stage press and prime with a hand primer. I don't use the bullet feed as I want to verify the powder in every round. I leave the first stage open, without a die.

Yeah it is slower than designed but still faster than single stage as I am flaring, adding powder seating bullet and crimping with one pull of the handle.

geargnasher
09-19-2012, 01:26 PM
There's enough to keep track of without screwing with the bullet feed die. Trust me on that.

Plus, you'll want to take a peek in every case to do a visual powder check before corking it up, so just place the bullets by hand, it isn't a big deal.

The primer mechanism works flawlessly if you keep powder grains out of the trough, keep the trough full, and have the shellplate index timed correctly. If you don't, it either will seat primers sideways or simply jam up.

Gear

plainsman456
09-19-2012, 08:43 PM
What was said in spades.
Also if someone buys one of these for the 223 rem. they do not put the right powder disks in the package.
There is no way you could charge a case with enough powder,without the doubler.

kbstenberg
09-19-2012, 09:09 PM
Thank you all! I hope to have the press in a couple of days. 3 or 4 days of cleaning - learning what goes where - final put together. And I should be good to go.
Kevin

geargnasher
09-19-2012, 09:45 PM
I don't know why you'd want to size all your cases on a single-stage unless you're cleaning primer pockets, priming, and /or trimming the cases before running them through. If you get the case collator and an extra turret head to just put a universal decapping die in or a caliber-specific sizer/decapper in, you can leave your "full service" turret set up and just swap it out so you can dump your brass in the feed tubes and crank them through (empty the priming tray and chute first, of course). This saves a LOT of time handling cases. If you're using a steel sizer die, just spread out your clean brass on a towel and spritz them with a lanolin/alcohol case lube (see the sticky on the subject), roll them around, spritz again and let dry before dumping into the case collator. There are all kinds of little shortcuts you can use to save time/hassle with the progressive setup.

If you're planning on using the case feeder and collator, which is one of the best features of the press IMO, you will need to straighten out the bend in the Z-bar for the .44 Magnum or buy a new one from one of the reloading supply companies that doesn't have the bend in it. As far as I can remember off the top of my head, the .45 ACP case slider is the same part used for .44 Magnum. If you go to Midway's site and look up the large case slider they list which part works with what caliber.

Gear