PDA

View Full Version : moly coated bullets=problem?

rp85
09-18-2012, 06:42 AM
hello;

have a friend that just started reloading for his 9mm m&p. he has used only moly coated bullet from the get go, shooting maybe 500-750 moly coated bullets in his pistol.

i have had very good results with the lee 358-125rnfp, sized/lubed to .357". he would like to shoot some of the lee bullets but we are at a loss if shooting moly coated bullets will casue problems in his pistol if he shoots non moly coated bullets now.

are there any problem going from moly coated bullet vs a normal cast bullet, switching back and forth between bullets.

thanks for any input.

rp

Wal'
09-18-2012, 07:44 AM
Can't see any problem, I have been putting every thing through my 9mm for years before casting my own, including J-words.

But as usual, sizing your barrel is always king.

44man
09-19-2012, 11:52 AM
I have heard of moly building up in bores and it is very hard to remove.
But I see no problem shooting other boolits.
Can moly make a bore too slick, I sure don't know.

Christorbust
09-19-2012, 01:04 PM
I shot moly in my CZ75 Phantom, approx 1000 rounds, before I switched to lead. I had no problems in the switch.

I tried to give it a good cleaning the first time I switched, but then I had some moly and some lead left over that I mixed back and forth for a bit with no noticeable detriment.

Just eye the barrel every so often if your worried, to see if their is any weird amount of buildup. Maybe after a couple of clips run a patch through it and see whats left.

leftiye
09-20-2012, 06:54 AM
If anything, any residue should be beneficial (residue, not buildup).