PDA

View Full Version : New Member Wavin' a Hand.

Smitty's Retired
09-18-2012, 02:07 AM
Hey guys, new member, but been lurking and reading for the past couple of months. So figured I would make it legit and become a member.

I've recently retired from DOD after 38 years so able to spend more time with my reloading and have just gotten into trying casting. I've been into reloading since the '80s but mostly used jacketed bullets, if I did use cast bullets it was some that a friend of mine used to cast or store bought, and mostly in .45.

I've also been collecting C&R for about the same amount of time. So I figured I would start casting for a couple of them, starting out with loads for a 30-40 Krag and an Arisaka Type 38 for starters.

I have been getting a lot of great info off this forum so far and it has really helped in my decision to try my hand at casting. So just wanted to thank all that has contributed the info found in all the pages here, and say see you around.

If any of you used to frequent the Surplus Rifle Forum, you might have seen me there from time to time. My tag there was Smitty.

Take care,

Bad Water Bill
09-18-2012, 05:06 AM
Welcome aboard and enjoy your retirement.

Jim
09-18-2012, 06:43 AM
Right back atchya', Smitty! [smilie=s:

x101airborne
09-18-2012, 07:31 AM
Roll Tide!!

Murphy
09-18-2012, 07:40 AM
Smitty,

Congratulaitons on your retirement, something we all look forward to one day hopefully.

I don't think you'll find a better bunch of people to gather with than here at castboolits. The information found here in regards to casting boolits is as good as it gets. I'd been casting for 25 years before joining here. I learned more here in my first 18 months of membership than I learned on my own in all those years.

Welcome aboard,

Murphy

Wayne Smith
09-18-2012, 07:40 AM
Welcome, Smitty. I was Wayne the Shrink over there and Popeye is my brother.

smoked turkey
09-18-2012, 10:03 AM
Smitty I also want to say welcome to this great site that we all have come to call our second home. I will warn you that everything here is adictive. If you are like me you will start out slow and it will be a progressive thing. In the end you will be buying molds before you have a gun to shoot them in. That means ofcourse that you will be shopping for rifles and handguns so you can actually shoot all those little beauties. Now don't say you haven't been warned!

RobS
09-18-2012, 10:20 AM
Welcome to the madness of rolling your own boolits. The forum members here are what make this place a great resource to all those that frequent. There's tons of info. in the stickies here and this is another good link to an ebook if you haven't already read it.

http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm

rockrat
09-18-2012, 10:36 AM
Welcome to the fire. You won't find a better bunch anywhere, than you will find on this site.

WILCO
09-18-2012, 10:47 AM
Welcome to the fire. You won't find a better bunch anywhere, than you will find on this site.

Ditto for me! [smilie=s:

Echo
09-18-2012, 10:50 AM

+1, again!

blackthorn
09-18-2012, 10:59 AM
Welcome aboard!

Isaac
09-18-2012, 11:21 AM
I wish to offer up my welcome.

38 years at DOD. Well done and congratulations on your retirement. :grin:

Isaac

wallenba
09-18-2012, 11:24 AM
HOWDY, Smitty!

Bill*
09-18-2012, 01:53 PM
Greetings

**oneshot**
09-18-2012, 03:00 PM
Welcome! I didn't think you were allowed to retire from the DOD. ha ha!

Smitty's Retired
09-18-2012, 03:42 PM
Thanks guys really have enjoyed a lot of the posts and articles found around this forum. Loads of helpful info.

Jim: Thanks and Lovin retirement.

X101Airborne: A Big Roll Tide Back to ya,

Wayne Smith: Yep, seen some of you guys post. Havn't been on as of late, but still check what's going on there from time to time.

Smoked Turkey: already know about addictions. :veryconfu C&R's are that way. Especially Enfields. But I have plenty to work with.:lol: About 6 gun cabinets worth. Thanks to a good wife who has never minded my obsessive collecting or hobbies over the years.

Isaac: thanks. Actually my total time includes 4 years active in the Army 1973-77. I was very fortunate, when I got out of the Army I was able to get a job with DOD, and spent many years working on the equipment to support our troops. Mainly tracked vehicles. The last 27 years rebuilding tracked vehicle engines. Even did some TDY time in Iraq for 6 mos. Why anyone would choose to live there is beyond me.:holysheep it's hot there and no cool breezes. Of course I've thought the same anytime I've been in any other country. The only place I've been that I thought I wouldn't mind living was Germany. Lived there for 3 years when I was an army brat. In my life I've been to Germany, Thailand, Panama, Honduras, Equador, Kuwait, and Iraq. Sorry guys, give me the U.S. anytime.

firefly1957
09-18-2012, 07:59 PM
Smitty welcome to the group hope you keep learning here and enjoy casting lead. Two warnings
A) when you get more posts the pitt will open for you if you need blood pressure medicine take it before going into religion and politics! B) no eating or drinking while in humor and off topic we do not clean your screen or keyboard.

Dennis Eugene
09-19-2012, 12:32 AM
old member waveing a hand right back at ya.http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l497/youngmaster357/100_02021.jpg

Smitty's Retired
09-19-2012, 01:49 AM
Wow......beautiful backdrop there Dennis!!

Cariboo
09-19-2012, 02:03 AM
pull up a stump smitty and sit awhile

OneSkinnyMass
09-19-2012, 02:13 AM
Bunch of knowledge here, for sure, that's why I'm a lurker, maybe someday I'll be able to go shooting but it's not like it used to be here in CA.

Welcome Smitty,

Skinny