PDA

View Full Version : Lightest .40 Loads?

BulletFactory
09-17-2012, 11:11 PM
I was wondering what the lightest load would be for an M&P.40, i want to see if my daughter can shoot it. She has shot it before, and doesnt like it. She's almost 10. Watching her shoot the .40 was like those youtube vids when some chick gets hold of a DE.50.

Im currently running 165gr cast with 4.8 gr WST. Or I'll run the same boolit with 7.1gr HS-6.

prs
09-17-2012, 11:28 PM
With a 180gr cast boolit, WW small primer and a load of Trail Boss just short of achieving a compressed charge I have a really soft shooting load that reliably cycles the action of my Glock 23. The 70% of this charge also worked, but was very wimpy and occasionally failed to cycle (very seldon). I have not tried lighter boolits and they may not cycle the action. Consult the powder maker's web site to verify the alternate loading procedure before you proceed.

prs

ski2me
09-17-2012, 11:42 PM
Hey Bullet, I dropped my loads because my wife hated the caliber and I hated loading 9mm for her.

Here is what I came up with. Sorry no Chrony but I can tell you they cycled fine, punched nice crisp round holes, were as accurate for me as the harder hitting rounds, and were very very soft. Felt like less recoil than my wife's 9mm.

165gr Extreme plated RNFP
4.0gr WST (for her Glock) 4.2gr (for my XDm, had some FTE if I went lower)
Federal primers
1.130 OAL
-----------------------------------------------------------------
155gr Berrys RNHB
4.2gr WST
Federal primers
1.130 OAL
------------------------------------------------------------------
140gr S&S LFP
4.3gr WST
Federal primers
1.125 OAL

BulletFactory
09-20-2012, 02:51 PM
I tried a couple at 3 gr. WST, wouldnt cycle reliably. It will shoot them at 3.5 grains though, I will try to get her to the range tonight.