PDA

View Full Version : Removing unused lead

trying2learn
09-17-2012, 04:58 PM
How do I go about removing the lead I didn't use in a session if say I was wanting to try a different lead? It's a ladle style pot not a bottom pour. Do just heat the pot a little unplug and turn over? I didn't want to break anything on any of the melting pot. I figure worse case is I have to ladle a majority out and then do what ever I can. I just didn't know if there was a easier way. I can't remember the actual model number but it is a ten pound lee ladle style.
Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I'll Make Mine
09-17-2012, 05:05 PM
With a ladle type pot, that's about the only thing you can do -- ladle out as much as you can (put a board under one side of the base and you'll be able to get another ladle or two out of the bottom corner). If you use a shallower utensil (tablespoon bowl on an extended handle, say, or bend something up that matches the contour of the tilted pot), you'll be able to get almost all of the metal; scrape down the sides and skim the last bit you can't get, and there's probably no need to try dumping the pot (which strikes me as a good way to either drop something hot, or splash molten lead where you don't want it). If you leave a couple ounces of alloy in the pot and then put four pounds of something else in, the change in the new alloy due to the dregs isn't likely to be enough to cause trouble -- and if you have a good estimate of how much you left, and know both compositions, you can even control the mixture as you would when making up an alloy from, say, wheel weights, linotype, and pure lead.

trying2learn
09-17-2012, 05:23 PM
That was actually my worry about dumping it. My thought just didn't make it in the post. Sorry about that. I figured I was going to have ladle it out. In which case I will probably cast what is left in it. More boolits. Yes I think so. :p

Ickisrulz
09-17-2012, 06:40 PM
You can ladle out as much as you can. Wait for the residual to harden/cool and then turn the pot upside down and the rest will fall out.

I seem to remember reading that Phil Sharpe wrote that he used a chain that he allowed to harden in the lead and then pulled it out once it cooled. I'm pretty sure I didn't dream that.

Edit: It wasn't a chain, it was a "an iron ring or heavy screw eye." Complete Guide to Handloading page 76.

I'll Make Mine
09-17-2012, 07:14 PM
I seem to remember reading that Phil Sharpe wrote that he used a chain that he allowed to harden in the lead and then pulled it out once it cooled. I'm pretty sure I didn't dream that.

Edit: It wasn't a chain, it was a "an iron ring or heavy screw eye." Complete Guide to Handloading page 76.

Oh, I like this idea... :D

trying2learn
09-17-2012, 09:54 PM
Yes yes I do too. I did the earlier part where I got all I could then let it cool took a spoon and got the small amount left out. Thank you for all the ideas. I wanted to try water dropping a few stick on wheel weights. Water dropped and air cooled.

mdi
09-18-2012, 11:34 AM
Just get a pair of good gloves on and pour it out into ingot molds. Won't hurt the pot at all...

Jim
09-18-2012, 11:37 AM
Just get a pair of good gloves on and pour it out into ingot molds. Won't hurt the pot at all...

Works for me!

PbHurler
09-18-2012, 12:10 PM
Welder's gloves; they're not just for welding anymore.....

I've done this many times.

montana_charlie
09-18-2012, 12:55 PM
I usually just pour the alloy out, but ...

Ladel out enough that the pot is less than half full.
Then tilt it over with a shim under the feet (or whatever) on one side, and let it cool.

The wedge-shaped solid chunk will fall out easily when cool.

CM