PDA

View Full Version : Badly Metal Fouled Beretta 92 Barrel

Char-Gar
09-17-2012, 03:57 PM
Although I have seen many badly metal fouled rifle barrels, I have not seen a handgun barrel in that condition until today.

Over the weekend, I traded for a police trade-in Beretta 92D in 40 S&W. I pulled the barrel today and took a peek. It looked almost like the sharp edges of the rifling were gone, but on farther inspection it turned out to be very heavly fouled with bullet jacket metal.

I am now on about my 15th application of Sweets 7.62 and it looks pretty good but we are not yet home. It will clean up to be a nice barrel, but this is a new one for me.

I'll Make Mine
09-17-2012, 04:41 PM
Sounds like someone didn't neglect range time, but did neglect basic maintenance. Then again, you could view all that jacket material as protecting the actual bore... :kidding:

Mark85304
09-17-2012, 05:14 PM
Over the weekend, I traded for a police trade-in Beretta 92D in 40 S&W.

I thought the 92 was a 9mm and the 96D was .40 S&W. I did not buy a 92 because of that and opted for the 96D Centurion DAO instead.

Multigunner
09-17-2012, 05:42 PM
Although I have seen many badly metal fouled rifle barrels, I have not seen a handgun barrel in that condition until today.

Over the weekend, I traded for a police trade-in Beretta 92D in 40 S&W. I pulled the barrel today and took a peek. It looked almost like the sharp edges of the rifling were gone, but on farther inspection it turned out to be very heavly fouled with bullet jacket metal.

I am now on about my 15th application of Sweets 7.62 and it looks pretty good but we are not yet home. It will clean up to be a nice barrel, but this is a new one for me.

Some european milsurp 9mm ammo , even that of recent manufacture, still has the Cupro-Nickel jacket cladding that most countries stopped using before WW2.
Cupro-nickel is not as easy to remove from the bore as copper ally or gilding metal jacket fouling.

My S&W Model 59 has a lot of powdery redish copper residue inside the frame and slide when I got it. Some CCI aluminum case ammo with the reddish copper jacketed bullet came with it.
The powdery residue looked almost as if copper colored paint had been sprayed on the inner surfaces. There was a good deal of this fouling in the bore as well, but it responded well to regular copper solvents. I soon had it clean as a pin.

I did plug the chamber and pour copper solvent down the bore to the muzzle and let it sit for 48 hours. I repeated this procedure several times.

The pistol showed almost no wear, so I suspect it did not take very many rounds, without regular cleaning, for this fouling to build up.

Some bullets just foul more quickly than others, and without proper cleaning after every shooting session metal fouling builds up no matter what ammo is used.

Char-Gar
09-17-2012, 05:46 PM
I thought the 92 was a 9mm and the 96D was .40 S&W. I did not buy a 92 because of that and opted for the 96D Centurion DAO instead.

You are 100% correct, I read the slide laying on this desk and it says 96D