PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Question

09-17-2012, 12:00 AM
I have a shipping question.

Scenario: I have a set of Lyman four-cavity mould handles that I want to list in the Swappin & Sellin sub-forum, but don’t know the most economical shipping option. I always ship using flat rate boxes, but in this case, it would cost over $11.00, which makes the cost of shipping more than half the price of the handles. I suspect that first class mail might be less, but the USPS web-site doesn’t list it as an option.

Question: Does anyone have four-cavity mould handle shipping experience, and if so, what shipping method did you use?

Thanks.

mooman76
09-17-2012, 12:08 AM
If the package comes in under 13 oz it will be just one price anywhere in the US. It would probably come in over 13 oz but I don't know for sure. The P.O has a new flat rate bubble wrap envelope that if it fits it ship for something like $5.35. You can put it in a box inside the envelop or reenforce it somehow. They don't carry the bubble envelops in the P.O.s though. Probably because they sell bubble envelops also but you can order form their web site for free.

SciFiJim
09-17-2012, 12:36 AM
It can be shipped as priority mail without being flat rate. The cost of shipping will depend on originating and final zip codes and weight. It can also be shipped as parcel post. The package would have to be 13oz or less to be sent by first class mail.

So, what does the handle weigh?

Just had another thought. Can the handle fit in a flat rate envelope? There is a flat rate envelope for "legal size" 8 12x14 inches. Maybe wrap the handle and fit it corner to corner. If so, the postage would be $5.30.

edit - Moonman got in before I finished typing. The flat rate bubble envelope is available at USPS.com. The other flat rate envelopes should be available at your local PO.

Echo
09-17-2012, 02:35 AM
Just had another thought. Can the handle fit in a flat rate envelope? There is a flat rate envelope for "legal size" 8 12x14 inches. Maybe wrap the handle and fit it corner to corner. If so, the postage would be $5.30.

That would be my choice - but I would also wrap the Flat Rate envelope COMPLETELY in vinyl tape! USPS really manhandles those envelopes, and I have had goods disappear, with an empty envelope delivered to the recipient.

frkelly74
09-17-2012, 06:44 AM
The tape idea on the flat rate envelope is a seemingly good idea. However the clerk might give you a hard time about the tape. Theoretically the envelope is suppose to be sealed with the stickum that is already on the envelope and at the most you can only put tape over the flap according to "regulations". May be they have become less strict about this but you should be aware that it might be an issue. These days I have been getting the free tyvek envelopes and sealing the item or brass in one of those and putting that inside a flat rate envelope and taping that one up real good and then putting that taped up envelope inside another flat rate envelope with minimal tape showing on the outside. I need to get some of the legal sized envelopes to try one of these days. I often find the envelopes to be much more useful than the small flat rate boxes.

Sasquatch-1
09-17-2012, 06:46 AM
If you have a way to weigh it at home, box it weigh it and go to the USPS web site. There is a spot there where you can find out what it would cost you using other then a flat rate. Also, shouldn't the handle fit in the small flat rate which I beleive is the same price as the envelope?

Here's the link: http://postcalc.usps.com/

frkelly74
09-17-2012, 08:39 AM
online the regular flat rate envelope is $4.90 and includes tracking free. The small FRB is $5.15 and also includes tracking free. Get an account on Clik-N-Ship. then you can order boxes and envelopes and have them delivered free. Worth investigating also are the regional boxes. They are sort of a limited flat rate method of shipping.

runfiverun
09-17-2012, 10:58 AM
yep they have the small box that is a bit bigger than a vhs tape.
i have mailed lead,boolits,bullets,molds and all kinds of stuff in them for 5.15 or 5.95 whatever it is.
i usualy call it 6 dollar shipping.
they provide the box,you provide the tape and the stuffing.

09-17-2012, 10:58 AM
Thanks, guys.

I've been printing labels and shipping flat rate boxes via the web-site, for years, but didn't see any posted rates that were less. But, then, my wife always accuses me of never looking too hard enough. She says that I'm not clumsy, too, so I don't know whether to believe her, or not.

I forgot to post that I tried putting the bubble-wrapped handles in a flat rate envelope, but they were a tad bit long, in order to get the flap to close properly.

The best method seems to be to order the padded envelope, so I'll do that.