PDA

View Full Version : Lead roof flashing

fldigger
05-23-2007, 10:22 PM
Yesterday, I acquired a roll of lead roof flashing, less than 1/8 inch thick, 1 foot wide by 25 or so feet long and heavy enough that I won't be moving it much. At the same time I also came in to posession of several roof vent caps ( the kind roofers put on plumbing vent pipes). Both materials are very heavy for their size, easily scratched with a fingernail and very malleable. Does anyone have any experience/knowledge of this type of material? I am assuming both to be pretty close to pure lead, but being new to melting lead and dancing with the tinsel fairy, I thought that I would ask those with much more experience. Should I treat this stuff as pure lead or as some sort of alloy, which may or may not be suitable for casting?

twotrees
05-23-2007, 11:04 PM
About as pure as your going to get it. If you don't cast for front stuffers, offer it in trade for wheel weights. They (with a bit of tin/old solder) make fine boolits for most applications. The pure stuff is getting harder to find, and the BP boys really have to have it for best results.

I know where there are some 40 lb plates of pure lead and I'm hot on thier trail, got my front stuffers.

Good Shooting,

TwoTrees

mooman76
05-23-2007, 11:05 PM
It is dead soft lead. Trade it to a BP shooter for some WW's.