PDA

View Full Version : Carnauba Wax....repeat, C-A-R-N-A-U-B-A

BruceB
07-15-2005, 11:01 PM
We often see this hard Brazilian wax cited as an ingredient in various lubes, and recommendations for using the wax seals from booze bottles, cheeses etc, as a source.

First, as in the title, the spelling is "carnAuba", not "carnuba", although the second (mis)spelling is now so common that some suppliers use both. Searching Ebay for "carnuba" got only 6 hits, but searching for "carnauba" got 66 hits. Ergo, if you search with the wrong spelling, you'll miss a lot of places and possibilities.

I found block or flake pure carnauba on Ebay at $8.00 per 1/2 pound, buy-it-now, and the stuff is also available in liquid and paste form. I'd be suspicious of the chemicals used to keep it liquid or in paste form, if using it for bullet lube.

So....the stuff is available, and we don't have to have a case of unsealed Maker's Mark bourbon in the closet just so's we can make some lube. I like whiskey as much as the next feller, but this would be devotion to casting "above and beyond the call of duty".

buck1
07-16-2005, 12:29 AM
I spelled it wrong myself forever. I have some of the flake. I used a bit of it to harden up a lube I made. 2 oz turned 3 pounds of goo in to a nice fairly soft lube. It worked great!! It shot well too.( thanks yet again Felix!!)....buck

waksupi
07-16-2005, 01:35 AM
Carnuba, carnubia, karnoobia, karnubia.

Bruce, don't you go to screwing with my whiskey drinking, or you and I are going to have words! Ya read me, good buddy??!!

BruceB
07-16-2005, 02:03 AM
How 'bout we sit down and talk it over....with a glass or three????

Leftoverdj
07-16-2005, 02:43 AM
http://www.thesage.com/catalog/FixedOil.html

About half of that Ebay price, and they have nearly anything else you would want to make bullet lube.

Johnch
07-16-2005, 04:50 AM
How ever you spell it , I vote to open a bottle and sip.
But I can use more wax than I can aford if I just get it form seals.

Johnch

Bass Ackward
07-16-2005, 07:08 AM
First, as in the title, the spelling is "carnAuba

Bruce,

That's the Canadian spelling. One to many "A"s. :grin:

BruceB
07-16-2005, 08:22 AM
Bass;

As a (thankfully) FORMER Canuck, I gotta say....

That smarts!

It mighta been here at CB where I saw how one spells "Canada"; ya take a "c", eh? And then an "n", eh? And then....

drinks
07-16-2005, 11:19 AM
Bruce;
As a former Canadian, you should have a 'r", after the last a, as in "Cubar" [the island country].
Don;D

ammohead
07-16-2005, 01:52 PM
So....the stuff is available, and we don't have to have a case of unsealed Maker's Mark bourbon in the closet just so's we can make some lube. I like whiskey as much as the next feller, but this would be devotion to casting "above and beyond the call of duty".[/QUOTE]

Estimado, BruceB

It was during an expedition into the wilds of KY (the state not the jelly) that I happened upon the virtues of the red wax used to seal whiskey bottles. To make lube consisting of only this wax would be waste beyond belief, as only a small amount is required as an additive to FWFL to enhance bore shine. Actually I believe that the term "shine" originated in KY also. Other less precious substances such as beeswax or parafin should be used as hardening agents. Only about 1 tablespoon of the red elixer is added per batch to my "kentucky red" version of FWFL to enhance barrel shine and to give the lube it's distinctive color.

One should never be pressured to partake in whiskey for some ulterior motive. Sipping should come naturally and be enjoyed, especially in the company of friends of your calibre.

ammohead

Willbird
07-16-2005, 02:02 PM
Bruce usually knows what he is talking aboot hehe.

I found thesage to be a good place to do business with.

Bill

lar45
07-18-2005, 01:44 AM
I bought mine from
http://www.texasdrone.us/catalog_page.cfm?queries_index=index6&ProductCodeID=51
but it looks like thesage is cheaper. I'll have to order from them next time and they are only a couple of hours away.

Pop_No_Kick
07-18-2005, 02:33 AM
I bought mine from
http://www.texasdrone.us/catalog_page.cfm?queries_index=index6&ProductCodeID=51
but it looks like thesage is cheaper. I'll have to order from them next time and they are only a couple of hours away.
Lar45 Thanx's for that link that place is about 80 miles from me
I thought I could not find any of that around.

Thanx's
Chuck