PDA

View Full Version : First flintlock, Which would you get?

bearcove
09-16-2012, 05:35 PM
Want to get a flintlock rifle in 50 or 54 Cal. Want to stay under $500. It will be hunted with in the desert and in wet climates. Deer and moose are on the short list. What would you recomend?

HARRYMPOPE
09-16-2012, 05:44 PM
I liked my TC Hawken flint and had no problems with it and used they are in your price range.And as a plus they aren't so pretty you do mind having them out in the weather.

George

Hickory
09-16-2012, 06:00 PM
I have a T/C Firestorm, it lights every time. Accurate too.;)

Yadkin
09-16-2012, 09:20 PM
If you want more of a traditional gun Lyman Great plains Rifle, if you want to shoot just bullets or cronicals the great plains hunter, the rifle is a round ball gun If not so traditional the T/C hawken is good with its 1in 48 twist will shoot round ball and bullits but its over your budget you will have to find a good used one, either cal. will be good for what your wanting to do, I personally lean towards the more traditional rifles and one of my rifles is the 50 cal. GPR. which you can purchase for under 500, you also may want to look at some of Traditions Guns they should be in your price range also.

Yadkin

nicholst55
09-16-2012, 09:49 PM
In my experience, Lyman's flintlocks (the locks themselves) leave a lot to be desired, even for a mass production lock. I would recommend buying a T/C, if you can find one. I have a Lyman GPR flinter in .54, and I'm planning to replace the lock with an L&R once I get around to it. Got a lot of irons in the fire and not much cash; got other flinters to shoot, so not too worried about it right now.

wgr
09-16-2012, 11:52 PM
i like my lyman GPR

HARRYMPOPE
09-17-2012, 12:57 AM
the 1-32 twist Lyman GP Hunter 50 calibers shot roundballs great.

George

OverMax
09-17-2012, 01:52 PM
If your in no hurry. One suggestion would be to watch TOTW's home page for Recent Additions. Occasionally a nicely used flintlock is seen there for sale. Otherwise you can piece together a T/C model Hawken or Renegade cap lock stock to accept a T/C flint lock with a little light sanding on your part. And then there's Gun Broker or Guns America. As you can see I'm kind of partial towards T/C products. But this day in age. There all good.

Lonegun1894
09-17-2012, 07:29 PM
I have three GPR flinters and one TC Hawken flinter. They're all great, but I prefer the feel of the GPR, so they get much more range and hunting time. Between these two rifles, I would seriously recommend that you find and shoulder both, preferably at the same time if possible, and just see which feels better to you. Both are great rifles, and both shoot great, but they feel completely different in use, due to the GPR having quite a bit more drop in the stock than the TC has. The TC feels more like a modern rifle, while the GPR just feels better for me, but this may easily be the opposite of your preference which is why I'm saying go shoulder both and don't decide on either until after you do know which you prefer.

HARRYMPOPE
09-17-2012, 10:28 PM
i agree the GPR feels and fits me better and looks much as a plains rifle should.I haven't played with on in flintlock to have recommend one though.

A buddy is be selling off some custom flints from the 1970's I think most have Dixie imported locks but they all have nice wood.
i can see what he has

mainiac
09-18-2012, 08:03 PM
If your intrested,pm me and ill hook ya up with a guy in indiana,who specializes in low cost long rifles,and half stocks.Im sure he could build you a gun in your price range,and it would be built to your size,and specs.Ive got 4 of his guns,and am very happy with him.