PDA

View Full Version : Christmas present ideas needed

crabo
09-16-2012, 05:32 PM
I have a friend that is such a struggle to buy a Christmas present for. He is always hitting garage sales and pawn shops and finding deals. The last 4 or 5 years, I have just given him some of my cool stuff. One year it was a box of Black Talons. One year it was a box of 45 acp tracers. Another year it was a belt of 308s with tracers. His wife doesn't even buy him presents anymore. That's why it is important to me.

He loves guns, but doesn't shoot much, and he doesn't reload. Anyone have any ideas?

Wayne Smith
09-16-2012, 05:42 PM
Being handy I like to make things as gifts. This makes them relatively unique and, usually, cheap for me. This year I'm making pepper/salt/spice grinders. About $8.00 and glued up scrap wood and my time as my cost, a unique present for someone.

PbHurler
09-16-2012, 05:45 PM
I don't know if he partakes of beer or not, but ridurall, in the vendor sponsor section makes some pretty neat 50 BMG bottle openers.??
(I guess they'd work on glass soda pop bottles as well)

Oooops, I see you've been their already crabo!

crabo
09-16-2012, 05:53 PM
I don't know if he partakes of beer or not, but ridurall, in the vendor sponsor section makes some pretty neat 50 BMG bottle openers.??
(I guess they'd work on glass soda pop bottles as well)

I bought three of those already, one for him.

shooter93
09-16-2012, 05:53 PM
Does he read crabo? I give a lot of books for gifts and there are books that cover every field of shooting and hunting so maybe he has a particular interest. Some get pricey but I often find them at bigger gun shows for reasonable prices especially if the book was printed awhile ago. Books by R. L. Wilson are very informative for collectors and written so they read like a novel just as an example.
Now this isn't shooting related but I'll give away my "secret" gift I use for weddings, Christmas etc. I've never had it duplicated by anyone else at the wedding and everyone enjoys it......an ice cream maker.....lol.

MtGun44
09-16-2012, 07:12 PM
History books are good. I have been reading a bunch on the Pacific battles in WW2
over the last year or so. Before that I spent a lot of time with original source books
on the American Revolution. Prior to that it was Normandy - which led into a lot about
the general war in Europe for WW2.

If he is into machinery - maybe tanks or aircraft books?

Bill

crabo
09-16-2012, 07:16 PM
He reads lots of novels, but I haven't seen him reading for info.

shooter93
09-16-2012, 07:41 PM
If he reads novels....look at Stephen Hunter's books.....lots of shooting stuff in them and good reads.

waksupi
09-16-2012, 09:32 PM
Unintended Consequences, by John Ross.

wv109323
09-16-2012, 09:41 PM
If he has a lever action buy him a box of the Hornady Leverrevolution ammo.

WILCO
09-16-2012, 09:44 PM
Anyone have any ideas?

What are his intersts? I do all of my Christmas shopping at the liquor store.
Never had a bottle of good booze put me on the doghouse list.

Wayne Smith
09-17-2012, 08:04 AM
What are his intersts? I do all of my Christmas shopping at the liquor store.
Never had a bottle of good booze put me on the doghouse list.

How many Baptists do you know??

Jim
09-17-2012, 08:08 AM
A gift certificate to Home Depot or a credit with one of the shooting supplies vendors always blows my skirt up.

Tom Ruley
09-17-2012, 08:24 AM
How about a pocket knife?

WILCO
09-17-2012, 02:03 PM
How many Baptists do you know??

One. Never bought him a gift.

Catsmith
09-17-2012, 07:35 PM
I have started looking for magazines or other stuff from when somebody was a kid. Mom for instance, firt year found a life mag fron 1939. Next year sumfin else. This year is paper dolls from the 40s. Usually dont spend more than a few bucks but she loves it

crabo
09-17-2012, 10:20 PM
The reason he is so hard to buy for, is because if he wants something, he just buys it. He has more knives than you have ever seen. He bought a Vietnam era Randall knife with an air force pilot's name on it for $175 at a garage sale. He sent it to Randall to get an estimate on refurbishing it. They didn't want to do anything to it because it was a collector knife.

Randall referrred him to another guy, who sold it for him for $5000 less a 20% commission. He buys hardback books for $1 at garage sales.

I spend all year trying to figure out the next present.

Gliden07
09-17-2012, 11:16 PM
He loves guns, but doesn't shoot much, and he doesn't reload. Anyone have any ideas?[/QUOTE]

Why don't you take him shooting and Lunch? Supply Guns, Ammo and lunch! Like you said he dos'nt go shooting much it would be a good day out for you as well!

RP
09-17-2012, 11:34 PM
get him a 50 bmg bottle opener from one of the guys here i forget his name but they are cool even if you dont need it.

OneSkinnyMass
09-17-2012, 11:39 PM
I have the same problem with an older brother, lucky for me he plays guitar, so strings, picks, a capo or the latest digital tuner or a new strap.
Some of my friends think gift should be things we wouldn't buy for ourselves. Last gift from my hard-to-buy-for brother was a redneck margarita glass
http://hillbillyglassware.com/margarita-glasses/mountain-top-margarita-16-oz/?utm_source=AdCenter&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=redneck%20margarita%20glass&utm_content=redneckmargaritaads&utm_campaign=HillbillyMargarita

Just a few ideas

Skinny

45nut
09-18-2012, 02:24 AM
get him a new hand truck or a wagon to drag at the sales,, many times I have regretted not having something to haul stuff around.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
09-19-2012, 04:54 PM
everyone has to eat and drink , food

my grandparents became almost impossible to buy for , so my parents started getting them steaks and custom meats

for the drinkers , bottles of good wine or specialty beer

there is always specialty jams , jellies , cookies , pies , preserves and such

or i find something useful but obscure

or I have a leather guy , who will make belts , holsters , pistol belts and personalized them with initials , my kids like the belts with their initials