PDA

View Full Version : Last bullet test

David LaPell
09-16-2012, 01:49 PM
This will be the last test of these bullets for a while. I am having surgery in a week and have no idea where that will take me but I have worked out alot on these bullets. These #358156 HP's I tested out from my Outdoorsman with the standard load I use of 12.5 grains of 2400 and were fired into wet newsprint at 25 yards. The BHN of these bullets (tested twice) is 11 and are made from wheelweights and 5% tin. The one in the center now weighs 138 grains down from 150 and the other two 126 and 125 grains. The idea is to use these on a whitetail at 50 yards and under.

http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss57/Smith29-2/picture2726.jpg

Larry Gibson
09-16-2012, 02:43 PM
Not bad as is but they will do a lot better if you cut the tin back to 2% and add 50% lead.

Larry Gibson

357maximum
09-16-2012, 02:53 PM
Not bad as is but they will do a lot better if you cut the tin back to 2% and add 50% lead.

Larry Gibson

That's almost the exact recipe I used with a similar load to partially destroy the impacted shoulder and to completely destroy the off shoulder with this boolit on a Michigan whitetail a few years back out of a DanWesson model 15. I myself would suggest David keeps doing what he is doing.

Good luck under the knife David. You have my best wishes.

runfiverun
09-16-2012, 03:07 PM
luck on the surgery...

sw282
09-16-2012, 08:44 PM
Prayers work too.................for surgery

41mag
09-17-2012, 05:46 AM
If you have the accuracy, those look like they will get the job done on the criteria you have imposed.

Prayers sent for you and your speedy recovery. Rest up, and recover fast.

Jal5
09-17-2012, 07:35 AM
Get well soon. Surgery is bad but right before deer season it's worse...been there myself.

Larry Gibson
09-17-2012, 12:06 PM
That's almost the exact recipe I used with a similar load to partially destroy the impacted shoulder and to completely destroy the off shoulder with this boolit on a Michigan whitetail a few years back out of a DanWesson model 15. I myself would suggest David keeps doing what he is doing.

Good luck under the knife David. You have my best wishes.

Just goes to show that field results vary. I shot several black tails and a couple mule deer with that bullet cast of the alloy I mentioned at 1200 - 1400 fps and haven't destroyed more meat than was expected. Certainly didn't "destroy the off shoulder" in any of them. Not saying it wouldn't but it didn't for me. Just different results is all. I'm sure we're in agreement that David will have to find what works best for his need(?).

I've no disagreement with you here BTW. Years ago I shot 2 does with one shot (2nd one perfectly lined up behind the 1st and I didn't see it) at about 100 yards with a 457483 (RN GC'd cast of WWs) loaded to 1400 fps out of my 45-70. The bullet went straight through all 4 shoulders and ruined them all. Other deer and a couple elk I've shot with that bullet (even when cast softer and HP'd) in the shoulders you could, as Elmer said, eat right up to the hole.........go figure:?:

I've also posted numerous times pictures of the Texas buck I shot with a 35-200-FN cast of the same alloy. It probably had an impact velocity of close to 2000 fps out of the 35 Remington. You could almost eat right up to the holes in that one. Strange how field results can vary so much?

Larry Gibson