PDA

View Full Version : Help identifying manufacturer of some 44 mag rounds

opos
09-16-2012, 12:57 PM
I know this is about cast boolits and I may be thrashed for even asking but can anyone help me identify a label that is on a plastic ammo box of 250 rounds of 44 magnum FMC "new, not reloaded" ammo ? The headstamp is RP and they have no appearance of being reloads....the guy that wants to sell them to me got them as part of a trade and he has no 44 mag so they are of no use to him. I got a hunch they are gun show ammo from a small loader like Miwall or someone but there is no name or anything other than grains, etc shown on the label...I will probably just break them down and re load them if I can't identify them but I'd sure rather just shoot them if it's someone like Miwall , etc that is a "real" ammo manufacturer...I had a really scary experience some years ago with some 38 special gun show loads.

If anyone recognizes the label or could give me any ideas of who might have made these I'd really appreciate the help. His pics are not good...sorry and of course anything I'd do has no liability with anyone that comments here...I'm on my own with whatever I'd do with them...just looking for any info about the label..

Many thanks
opos

dualsport
09-16-2012, 01:07 PM
I bought a box of some similar .44 that was definitely Miwall. The bullet had a little serated star on the flat nose meplat. Very hot, even said so on the box. It copper fouled my SBH worse than I thought was possible. I will pull the rest and just reuse the brass. If those are similar you have there don't pay too much for them. Maybe get a few to test fire? EDIT; This very old box of .44 Rem. Mag. is the only ammo from Miwall that has ever given me any trouble. I've shot lots of their stuff, no problems. This box is "240 GR. FMSP +P+ Hunting Load" and it is a very stout load.

Alchemist
09-16-2012, 01:18 PM
I'd offer him a price based on the value of the primed brass, projectiles and the ammo can. Then break it down and re-load it discarding the unknown powder.

Other than that I'd pass on it.

Bill*
09-16-2012, 02:29 PM
Is there a way to read the barcode on the label? I think some phones can do it with the right "app", not sure though.

runfiverun
09-16-2012, 03:02 PM
the rp headstamp is remington peters.
it would have either the rp close together or far apart [close is small letters] big is far apart.
and 44 rem mag on the bottom.
at the worst you'll have good brass.
i'd offer brass price anyway.
those look like they were made in a factory of sorts and not in croatia in the barn.

oneokie
09-16-2012, 05:21 PM
Enter the letters and numbers above the bar code into your favorite search engine.

Reaper
09-16-2012, 07:48 PM
Miwall ammo. I buy 4k to 5k of their 9's and 40's a year. I can't load these calibers as fast as my family can shoot them. Haven't had a problem with excessive fouling. Miwall loads quality ammo at a fair price.

dualsport
09-18-2012, 01:20 AM
Please note my edit to above post-I've also shot a lot of Miwall ammo over the years and it's been fine ammo. Just this one box of +P+ .44 mag caused fouling. Man is it hot. With two hands on my SBH it comes baaack. Lots of fun. Prob'ly penetrate an old Buick or three.

fatelk
09-18-2012, 07:47 AM
This has to do only with Miwall ammo in general, but some of the worst .44 mag ammo I've ever shot was some Miwall stuff I got over 20 years ago. The ammo in your photo is much, much newer of course.

This ammo I had wouldn't hit anything when fired out of a Marlin 1894. Missed the target completely, as branches fell out of the trees above; obviously tumbling. As a brand new beginning reloader I pulled them apart (240gr JHP) to find about 10gr of powder IIRC. I put them back together with a full charge of 2400 and they shot fine. I've always wondered why.

Sorry, I know that has nothing to do with the ammo at hand. In all likelyhood it's probably just fine. If it's Miwall ammo I would expect it's perfectly safe to fire.