PDA

View Full Version : 338 federal 200gr. loads

hithard
09-15-2012, 07:15 PM
Hoping that there is someone out there with some cast loads for the 338 fed., and a 200gr. boolit that they will share.

Hoping to find a varget load.

thanks if you can help.

kbstenberg
09-15-2012, 08:09 PM
Hithard I know this is a dumb question but how do you like the 338 Fed.? I had considered it at one time. I like the idea of a 308 necked up to 33 cal. But the reviews I had read were not so flattering.

runfiverun
09-15-2012, 11:48 PM
since it's directly between the 308 and 358 and they both shoot 200 gr boolits and since pressures with cast are generally in the 40k area.
data should be real easy to find.

hithard
09-16-2012, 03:26 AM
My gun is kinda custom. remy700 trued, bolt machined, pac-nor barrel 20" #1 contour in stainless, Brown fiberglass stock, leopald ultra light 3x9.

I think it comes in around six pounds, it kicks like two mules! but thats with 200 j's and a good load. But I built it to shoot cast and it's a hunting rifle, so who cares. I just shot the first cast today, 200gr, 27.5gr of imr 4895. These were real nice to shoot.Like a 243, Kinda slow, but boy you know when you hit the target, Whack!

Sticking them into the lands and groups were two inches, five shot. The next string had a 30 thou jump. and they went into 1.25". I didn't crimp any of these which I think may have resulted in alot of unburned granules left in the barrel. Which I'm sure doesn't help the grouping. I'll crimp and play with the jump a bit add some more powder till my shoulder say's stop and see where I get. I'm headed to Wyoming for Goats in a few weeks and plan on using this combo.

So do I like it, I've got so much money in this thing I have to! Actually I do like it, it's nice and light, short and handy, it's gonna hit real hard, and be cheap to shoot. Inside 200yds and I should be good. I decided to build this cast gun to keep ammo cost down, not to mention if reloading supplies get tough to find I'm good to go.