PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 500 Question

Sasquatch-1
09-15-2012, 06:47 PM
For lack of a shotgun section, other then casting for shotguns, I will put the question here.

I have a Mossberg 500 that my 26 year old daughter would like to use to learn how to shoot trap with. The problem being that this gun is set up for home defense with the short slug barrel and 8 round mag. What would be a good barrel for this gun for shooting trap. I would love to have a model number if you have it.

gray wolf
09-15-2012, 06:56 PM
I think a 28" full would do it, but I,m sure someone will know for sure.

kenyerian
09-15-2012, 07:05 PM
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/742385/mossberg-barrel-mossberg-500-12-gauge-3-28-full-modified-improved-chokes-vent-rib-ported-blue This one will do nicely. Start with the improved cylinder choke tube for some close slow throws with a hand thrower and move on to the tighter chokes as her markmanship improves. not sure about your 8 round Mag but it might not work with that barrel. It might be better just to get her her own gun that fits her . Some smaller women are better served with a smaller framed gun.

flounderman
09-15-2012, 07:11 PM
the 500 is the cheapest make there is to buy extra barrels for. Trap guns have long barrels, and vented ribs. You want a lot of vent so the barrel cools and you don't get a mirage from heat waves. A 28 or 30 inch, full choke barrel will work. the stock will probably be too long for her and you want a good recoil pad. trap guns are straigthter stocked than field guns and pattern high so you can stay under the bird and see it clearer. also you are usually shooting at a rising bird. You can straighten the drop by changing the angle the stock meets the receiver, slightly. I just bought a 500 today and all of them I looked at were modified choke. steel shot needs a more open choke. You can shoot a modified choke from the 16 yd line if you take the bird quick. Handicap trap, you need a tighter choke. You never know how a gun will pattern or how tight the pattern will be, or where it will be, unless you pattern it on paper.

Awsar
09-15-2012, 08:57 PM
Shotgun fit is all important . removable tubes next also dont limit your self, sporting clays and skeet are fun too good luck

MtGun44
09-15-2012, 11:40 PM
One significant problem is that the great majority of 500s have 6 shot mags and the
barrel attaches to the end of the mag tube. SO - with the 8 shot mag you will be probably
very limited in the barrels that will fit that long mag tube and be suitable for trap.

I'm thinking you are likely to find out that only slug gun/self defense type barrels will
be found with the mounting lug attached at the 8 shot length.

Bill

GREENCOUNTYPETE
09-17-2012, 10:17 AM
i think you can order a new mag tube that is screws in to the receiver , but MTGUN44 is correct that the 500 barrel must match the mag tube and many i have seen are 4+1 guns

unless yo get a great deal on the barrel and tube , it is probably going to be less expensive to pick one up with the 28inch barrel with choke tubes used or even new at walmart for not much more than your going to pay for all the parts and shipping

try Havlin sales http://www.havlinsales.com/model500.htm

used to be a few years ago a 500 with a 28 inch barrel at walmart was 168.99 i think they are up to 228 now

GREENCOUNTYPETE
09-17-2012, 10:20 AM
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/742385/mossberg-barrel-mossberg-500-12-gauge-3-28-full-modified-improved-chokes-vent-rib-ported-blue This one will do nicely. Start with the improved cylinder choke tube for some close slow throws with a hand thrower and move on to the tighter chokes as her markmanship improves. not sure about your 8 round Mag but it might not work with that barrel. It might be better just to get her her own gun that fits her . Some smaller women are better served with a smaller framed gun.

This barrel will not fit factory 8 shot magazine Mossberg shotguns

followed your link this was listed in the description

wiljen
09-17-2012, 10:36 AM
You can trade mag tubes out easy enough - a simple pair of pliers and a leather flap to protect the tube from scratches is all it takes to remove one. When you do, be careful not to crush the tube as they are not extremely sturdy and then just hand tighten the new one rather than use pliers to snug it. It doesn't have to be put on so solidly that it will never come off.

Numrich or gunbroker etc usually have the replacement tubes and springs for less than $40 if you shop around

45-70.gov
09-17-2012, 10:48 AM
just buy another shotgun

popper
09-17-2012, 02:10 PM
Get her a WW Maveric 88. same as 500, uses same bbl and is $100 less.

Goatwhiskers
09-17-2012, 04:37 PM
Easy enough to change the mag tube, use a strap wrench, NOT pliers, might have to add a piece of rubber to increase traction. You might also have to warm the receiver where the tube screws in to release the sealer the factory uses. Also apply the strap wrench out at the end so that there will be no danger of warping the tube. GW

Sasquatch-1
09-17-2012, 05:00 PM
I think we have decidecd to look for another gun. Thanks for all of the responses.

bob208
09-17-2012, 05:05 PM
nothing is classier then a lady shooting trap with a sxs 20ga. and it adds more class when she beats the boys.

Sasquatch-1
09-18-2012, 07:48 AM
nothing is classier then a lady shooting trap with a sxs 20ga. and it adds more class when she beats the boys.

Se has talked about a 20 guage, but I am trying to convince her to stick with the 12.

Right now I think she is going to buy a low end trap machine (that we can set up anytime) and try using the old Ranger side by side.

popper
09-18-2012, 06:55 PM
12 ga. for sporting clays, long skeet and trap shots. Not that much difference in recoil for dove or target loads. If she gets competitive, an O/U double or benelli semi-auto.