PDA

View Full Version : What a chore!

Revolver
09-14-2012, 08:32 PM
Had my first case trimming session. Did approx 150 pieces of 308 Win on the used Forster I picked up on this forum. I typically enjoy reloading but I think this is one aspect of it I don't enjoy. :-| Had to gripe.

Lance Boyle
09-14-2012, 08:38 PM
yep, arthritis in the making! The forster was ok, I switched to a RCBS with the cam holder, then later I got a Wilson with a shark fin holder. I like the wilson so far, no pilots, just a case holder, clean cut.

NSP64
09-14-2012, 08:51 PM
Brother I feel your pain.
I have been using a lyman universal with a power adapter to use a drill.
I have been seriously thinking of one of the new all in one trimmer,chamfer,primer pocket machines that I have seen.

DX250
09-14-2012, 09:06 PM
I am using the Lee setup and a drill press it is the least boring as possible.

Alchemist
09-14-2012, 09:12 PM
Trimming must be the most dreaded task in handloading.

Used a Lyman Universal with the handcrank for 25 years...then added a power adapter.

Works well for the most part but still time consuming. The Lee trimmer works pretty well and may be a tad faster than the Lyman. I use them for small quantities of cases I don't have a pilot for, since they're about the same price as a pilot.

If you are a competitive shooter or a P-dog shooter or other high volume reloader, get a Giraud trimmer and have it over with in 2-3 seconds per case. Trim, chamfer and de-burr at the same time. I got one when I started reloading for an AR-15. I was stunned at the time savings, and free time is what I'm shortest on. Yeah, they are kinda spendy, but it will last a couple lifetimes.

Jailer
09-14-2012, 09:13 PM
My last batch of 223 brass was 3500+ pieces all trimmed on an RCBS trim pro. It took FOREVER!!!!

canyon-ghost
09-14-2012, 09:24 PM
RCBS Trim Pro, good micrometer adjustment.

Ole
09-14-2012, 09:24 PM
I use RCBS trim pro for most stuff. I send my .223 bulk brass off for bulk processing (primer crimp removed, trimmed, resized). I think the last box of 1500ish cost me around $50, but it was worth it. :) Doing all that myself would have taken most of a whole day.

Jailer
09-14-2012, 09:38 PM
I'm on my second trim pro and it is broken. Both have had so much run out that the 3 way cutter would leave a burr on one side of the case mouth while gouging the other side nearly through. I had to shim the shell holder to get it square with the cutter face.

Needless to say, this one is out of warranty and I will NOT be getting another one.

My Forster with a drill attachment has been working well but it too has a bit of run out in the shaft. It's manageable, but I have to neck size my brass after trimming because of it.

I need a Giraud.

MikeS
09-14-2012, 09:45 PM
I like using the RCBS or Redding file trim dies. I use them in a Lee C press, not my main press, so I don't need to worry about any brass filings messing it up!

XWrench3
09-14-2012, 10:20 PM
ok, look, it is a job that NEEDS to be done every once in a while. more often if you constantly full length size. but a big part of it is in the way you look at it. i look at it as one more thing i can do to improve the accuracy of my rounds. a square case neck, means the boolit will leave straighter. plus, i get to do a fresh "3 angle" ( i like to call it valve job, even though it is just deburring it) on each case, so projectiles will push in easier (more important on "J" projectiles) and straighter. i use the standard inside / outside plus a VLD cutter. yes, even on my cast boolit brass. if i start skipping procedures, i will make a mistake when shooting the high speed ones. much better than looking at it as a long, time consuming chore that has to be done.

10x
09-14-2012, 10:31 PM
I am using the Lee setup and a drill press it is the least boring as possible.

I would hope it is with the cutter and guage mounted in the drill press.
And holding the case with the collor and stopper stud in in your fingers....
The lee concept of spinning the case while holding the cutter and guage in ones fingers is rather slow..

David2011
09-14-2012, 10:32 PM
Had my first case trimming session. Did approx 150 pieces of 308 Win on the used Forster I picked up on this forum. I typically enjoy reloading but I think this is one aspect of it I don't enjoy. :-| Had to gripe.

I've felt your pain. Take the handle off and put a cordless drill on it. I've trimmed 4,000 5.56 cartridges that way.

David

Cherokee
09-14-2012, 10:40 PM
Giraud trimmer is the way to go for rifle cases. The task is over in minutes and no cranking.

runfiverun
09-14-2012, 10:46 PM
started with the rcbs went to the lyman universal then the lyman power trimmer [which i like] and the dillon size trim which i really like.
i sized, trimmed ,swaged the primer pockets,tumbled clean,and loaded 1200 rounds of 223 in one sunday [before and after the nascar race]

Baryngyl
09-15-2012, 05:49 AM
I am still only 1/2 way through prepping the 1,500 223 I bought.
I use a rechargeable drill set to be a snug fit, press a case into it so I can remove the primer crimp, then it goes in the box, do 100 or 200 then on to the next step.
Next I use the LEE universal case holder thing and LEE trimmer, then inside and outside chamfer, then uniform the flash hole.
Glad once these are all done, then only have to do the trim/chamfer once they stretch to much, which will never happen unless the parts I ordered 07/26/12 ever show up.

Michael Grace

**oneshot**
09-15-2012, 07:24 AM
New case prep is a chore. It's like cleaning the garage.

Elkins45
09-15-2012, 09:00 AM
I've been looking at the Possum Hollow unit that headspaces on the case shoulder datum but nobody ever seems to have all three sizes I would need in stock at the same time. The fact they are always out of stock says somebody must think they do a good job...or that their production rate is very low.

Jack Stanley
09-15-2012, 09:18 AM
Yes Jailer .... you need a Giraud , they are rather expensive but for those rounds you need to do by the bucketfull there is nothing like them .

I recently set up a lee cutter and gage in the drill press . I'd bought a Lyman trimmer base meant for drill press use from this forum . The two together I was able to process about six hundred 303 British casings without numbing my arms . I have a Possum hollow power adapter for the deburr tool but this whole system is waaayyy slower than the Giraud .

Yesterday I watched a video of the Little Crow trimmer and now I'm thinking maybe that in the drill press might be a little better than what I have set up now . I need to decide which of these surplus rifles I like the best I guess . Whatta mess , I love the sights on the Mosins , the way the 6.5 round of the Swede and the ten round capacity of the Enfield and it's smooth action . I'm setup to produce all the aught six ammo I need quite easy enough so perhaps I should just run with that and be happy :coffeecom

Or buy a couple of girauds before the QE3 kicks in [smilie=1:

Jack

I'll Make Mine
09-15-2012, 12:55 PM
Maybe you should rebarrel an Enfield in 6.5 Swiss, and mount Mosin sights? :kidding:

BRobertson
09-15-2012, 01:15 PM
The Giraurd is wonderful for rifle cases!!
Trimming is the only reloading task that I dont enjoy!!!

I just wish he(DOUG) would figure out a way to adapt it to straight wall cases!!!!!!

Bob

44man
09-15-2012, 01:24 PM
There is nothing I enjoy about loading. It is repetition that will drive a sane man nuts. Casting is such that after 2 boolits I wonder if it is enough! :mrgreen: Piles of brass belongs in a nut house.
We load to save money while making guns shoot good.
An evil that is necessary for our satisfaction in the end. I would hate the job if I was paid to do it.
I built custom stocks with fancy hand checkering plus carved and engraved muzzle loaders. Do you know how long I stared at a $300 hunk of wood?
Sure better then swinging a pick in a coal mine hour after hour.
Most work we do is repetition. Need to work at NASA for a challenge.
Repetition dulls our minds.
I go haywire when I read a post where a guy cast a few thousand boolits at one sitting! :drinks: I imagine myself laying on the floor kicking!

Revolver
09-15-2012, 05:11 PM
http://www.doaks.net/projects/guns/reloading/308brass.jpg

Ok, all done! This was the nastiest brass, I wish I had a before photo. It was given to me at a gun show.

1. Lee universal decapper
2. Stainless tumble 2.5 hours
3. Full length sizing
4. Trimmed
5. Chamfered & Deburred
6. Quick water/soap bath to remove lube
7. Stainless tuble with Lemishine, Dishsoap, Hot Water for 3 hours.

The tally? 236 (I rejected about 10 during prep)

157 RP
24 FC
16 Hornady
14 WWSuper
7 SuperX
6 Winchester
9 WRA
1 Peters
2 NWM 762x51

Which of these brands are good & bad?

bumpo628
09-15-2012, 05:15 PM
I've been looking at the Possum Hollow unit that headspaces on the case shoulder datum but nobody ever seems to have all three sizes I would need in stock at the same time. The fact they are always out of stock says somebody must think they do a good job...or that their production rate is very low.

You can order direct from the company and they also make custom sizes for about the same price as their standard sizes.

THE KWICK CASE TRIMMER IS AVAILABLE IN THE FOLLOWING SIZES:
KT-1 17 Rem. 221, 222, 222 mag., and 223
KT-2 22-250 and 6mm Rem.
KT-3 243, 260, 7-08, and 308
KT-4 270, 280, 25-06, and 30-06
KT-5 7 and 300 Magnums
KT-6 6PPC Tight Neck only
KT-6.5 6.5 GRENDEL
KT-6.8 6.8 SPC
KT-22 22 PPC Tight Neck only
KT-284 6x284, 6.5x284, and 284
KT-30 30/30