PDA

View Full Version : Dimensions of Lyman 311284

Shiloh
05-23-2007, 01:10 AM
Can you cast boolit shooters shooters who use a Lyman 311284 give me the dimensions? I'm wanting the nose (shank) dimensions as well as the bands. Hopefully the nose is around .302 with WW. TIA

Shiloh :castmine:

Ben
05-23-2007, 03:51 AM
You might want to read this link :

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=11440

Thanks,
Ben

Tom Myers
05-23-2007, 07:44 AM
Shilo,

These are the dimensions of the fine old Ideal single cavity mold that I have. The number is 308xxx instead of 311xxx but this should give you a start.

Hope this helps.
Tom Myers
Precision Ballistics and Records (http://www.uslink.net/~tom1/)

http://www.tmtpages.com/LinkSkyImages/forum_images/Ideal_308284.gif

Shiloh
05-23-2007, 12:02 PM
The Link sent by Ben suggests that the sub-.300 nose is somewhat common. I really need a .301-.302 nose for the '03 and Krag. I'm using a 314299 sized at .311 for both. My 311299 mold drops a .310/299 boolit. Any other mold suggestions?? TIA

ktw
05-23-2007, 12:26 PM
An alloy with higher antimony content might get you closer to desired diameter.

I "beagled" a mould for the first time the other day. That worked surpisingly well for increasing as-cast diameter. The improved "venting" also gave me good fill-out with less fiddling.

http://ktsammo.250x.com/castboolits/cst3.html

-ktw

HORNET
05-23-2007, 12:28 PM
An undersized nose on a bore rider design can be selectively lapped out to a larger diameter to provide additional support, if so desired. If you want to get slick, you can even lap in a bearing band near the nose to provide support and minimize interference back near the body. NEI's Walt Melander used to cut this band as his DD design and used to offer to recut other molds to have this feature. I don't know if they still offer this service. Just remember to check the size often if you do decide to lap it. A seemingly minor change of alloy could change the fit to be way too tight to chamber if you overshoot your target diameter and you can't unlap very easily. The DD band seems to be more tolerant.
Nothing brightens your day like 30 grains of WW-748 dumped into the action when the boolit pulls out.

Slowpoke
05-23-2007, 11:40 PM
The Link sent by Ben suggests that the sub-.300 nose is somewhat common. I really need a .301-.302 nose for the '03 and Krag. I'm using a 314299 sized at .311 for both. My 311299 mold drops a .310/299 boolit. Any other mold suggestions?? TIA

A new Saeco 305 should give you a .312-13 body and a .302-3 nose with WW.

If you want to get real persnickety once you decide on the perfect dia. for the nose, have Buckshot make you a nose size die that woks in your lube-sizer.

good luck

Char-Gar
05-24-2007, 11:31 AM
OK.. I am going to step in it. The original Barlow designs (311291, 311284 etc.) have stood the test of time because they are not "bore rider", at least not by my definition. Now the big boys can correct me and tell me I am full of it when it comes to what is or is not a "bore rider".

A look at the great drawing provided will show the genius of the Barlow design. The bullet runs about 50-50 body and nose. This design does not require the nose to be a very close fit to the top of the lands, as the body will help support the nose. Of course, this assume a proper alloy for the pressure and a concentric bullet.

In my rather simple way of thinking a "bore rider" is a bullet with a nose longer than the body and requires the nose to be a good fit to the lands. There are plenty of these around. The nose fit of a Barlow design is much less critical than a true bore rider. With bullets like the SAECO RG4(301) a thou or two will make a difference on the target.

We would all like a 311284 with a nose of .301-302, but .300 will cut it even if it is a tho or two under bore. This bullet has been a favorite of shooters for over 100 years and there is a reason why.

So before everybody throws those .300 nose 311284's in the trash, go put them on paper, the group size/score on the target are the only numbers that really count. There are plenty of times when the targets tell a tale much different from the theories.

Oh yes, I shoot .300 nose 311284s is two Krags and two 03A3s with very good results. It takes a Loverin bullet (311467 or 311407) to produce better groups and then it is only .25 MOA smaller. I have two Buckshot made nose sizing dies that will reduce the top two bands on a Loverin bullet to either .300 or .3015. Now we are talking bullets that shoot. Oh Mammy!!!

"Those that can, do. Those that don't, teach. Those than can't, criticize."

45 2.1
05-24-2007, 11:48 AM
In my rather simple way of thinking a "bore rider" is a bullet with a nose longer than the body and requires the nose to be a good fit to the lands. There are plenty of these around. The nose fit of a Barlow design is much less critical than a true bore rider.

Hmmm, just what amount of contact or engraveing is required for this. Depending on the alloy and hardness, a lot of boolits will obturate slightly to fill the requirements. A boolit this length will also not slump off line as much either and provide good alignment and accuracy potential that goes with that. I believe a bore ride boolit needs to have the nose "marked" somewhat by the lands to be called a bore rider. A hard fit of the nose should be called bore engraved probably and does provide good fit and accuracy usually. With the range of throat dimensions in the 30 calibers we deal with, this could be true for one rifle and not another. A 0.300" nose would be the bottom of the range for this in many of the 30 calibers though (not including the tight bore 7.5 Swiss and a couple of others).

Char-Gar
05-24-2007, 02:02 PM
Bullet Nomenclature.... As I said, I am sorta simple in my thinking. I just classify bullets as half and half, mostly body and mostly nose. It is the mostly nose bullets that are more critical in the fit to the bore. Barlows are half and half, Loverin and Squibb bullets are mostly body and the rest are self defining by the eye.