PDA

View Full Version : Am I insane??

toooldtocare
09-14-2012, 10:37 AM
Fist off I want to say that I have learned a lot reading this forum in the last week. Ideas I had were already tested and proven by members here. Theories were also dis proven, and I'm sure that will save me time and money. So here is the question.
How many members here cast and reload rounds that they don't own a weapon for? Here is the reason I ask. My loving wife brought home 100 .30 cal cast boolits and 100 empty brass. Found it at thrift store/flea market. 5 bucks for it. I don't own 30 cal dies. Would you buy dies and load them or pass them on to some one who shoots this round?

EdS
09-14-2012, 10:47 AM
Buy the dies as well as a selection of powders and primers to go with the boolits and brass. Of course you will also want to buy one or two rifles of the appropriate caliber so that you can develop custom tailored loads for each. On two occasions I’ve bought really high quality, but inexpensive reloading dies at gun shows; and then had custom rifles built to use them – no kidding! Enjoy each step! -Ed

SlippShodd
09-14-2012, 10:48 AM
... you get to buy a new gun to fit around them!

Pass them on or resell them - sure. Melt the bullets down and recast the lead - maybe, why not? Load them for someone else - no.

That's a good wife you got there, by the way.

mike

10x
09-14-2012, 11:07 AM
Fist off I want to say that I have learned a lot reading this forum in the last week. Ideas I had were already tested and proven by members here. Theories were also dis proven, and I'm sure that will save me time and money. So here is the question.
How many members here cast and reload rounds that they don't own a weapon for? Here is the reason I ask. My loving wife brought home 100 .30 cal cast boolits and 100 empty brass. Found it at thrift store/flea market. 5 bucks for it. I don't own 30 cal dies. Would you buy dies and load them or pass them on to some one who shoots this round?

Buy the dies and start reloading. Buy several 30 caliber guns and the dies for them.
Encourage your wife to look for "more deals that save you money in your hobby..."

GRUMPA
09-14-2012, 11:09 AM
The way I look at it is this. If I can get components at a real good price and don't have the gun for it I can always sell it for more than what it cost me and get what I want for what I have.

Moonie
09-14-2012, 11:18 AM
If she brought them home then obviously she wants you or her to have a 30 caliber rifle, easy fix.

toooldtocare
09-14-2012, 12:34 PM
Guess I need to post a want to buy dies add.

Wayne Smith
09-14-2012, 12:36 PM
Buy the dies as well as a selection of powders and primers to go with the boolits and brass. Of course you will also want to buy one or two rifles of the appropriate caliber so that you can develop custom tailored loads for each. On two occasions I’ve bought really high quality, but inexpensive reloading dies at gun shows; and then had custom rifles built to use them – no kidding! Enjoy each step! -Ed

Toold, you apparently haven't done it yet, so you aren't insane! That's a professional opinion, by the way.

On the other hand, I'm in the process of having a Martini action turned into a 25 Krag AI, and while I was thinking about that cartridge it was conformed when I found a set of RCBS dies on sale at Midway. While I haven't yet "loaded" a round I have necked cases and made dummy rounds for my gunsmith.

NSP64
09-14-2012, 12:42 PM
Toold, you must elaborate with pics. What cartridge did she find and what kind of bullets were they?

toooldtocare
09-14-2012, 04:27 PM
I will take pics tonight and post. Im at work right now..

lwknight
09-14-2012, 09:24 PM
My loving wife brought home 100 .30 cal cast boolits and 100 empty brass. Found it at thrift store/flea market. 5 bucks for it. I don't own 30 cal dies

She may never know just how much that thrifty gift will really cost. Buahhaha!

toooldtocare
09-15-2012, 03:36 PM
Ok finally got photobucket to work. So here is pics of the cast boolits she picked up and all the brass AND mags. I really dont know what Im gonna do with it all but she sure is thrifty!!
http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q531/gunruner10/703d95cc.jpg
http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q531/gunruner10/51a0120f.jpg
http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q531/gunruner10/46e07bed.jpg
http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q531/gunruner10/6e3e8a23.jpg

NSP64
09-15-2012, 04:55 PM
That looks like 30-30, and 30 carbine and 9mm. If you dont own any I would just sell it. Great haul though.
Is the remington box loaded or just brass?

toooldtocare
09-15-2012, 05:26 PM
Remington box is 30 cal brass

Harter66
09-15-2012, 08:09 PM
If the cases in the plastic box liners are 30 Cal and rimless the same shape as the 30-30 in the baggie I have a good home for them at a fair price. And the 9mm magazine as well........... if you know...... want to unload them..

PS Paul
09-15-2012, 08:18 PM
LOL!! Great question! 9mm for me. I do not, have not and will not own one, but I do reload for it to help out a couple employees from time to time as just an added little "bonus" for doing a good job for me. Usually just load with a .357 or .358 diameter RN I use in .357 mag revolvers. Works just fine.

helice
09-15-2012, 08:20 PM
By heaven a woman like that is hard to find. Buy that girl some flowers or perfume or bribe her in some other fashion. You don't happen to know where there are more like her. I know some pretty crusty old boys who would love to have a woman who buys them boolits and cases.

From the looks of things youmarried well so I doubt that you're insane. But if you hang around here and start buying moulds and rifles and pistols and revolvers and dies and presses etc., before too long you will be. Just like the rest of us.

largom
09-15-2012, 08:51 PM
You don't own a 30 cal? Shame on you, but now you have an excuse to go buy one and give it to your wonderful wife.

Larry

toooldtocare
09-15-2012, 10:46 PM
She is one hell of a woman. She supports me in everything I do. She has some learning to do. She told me tonight that there was a guy at the flea market selling mags. She says they look kinda faded gray, has a green thing in top where the bullets go in. I ask, how many? How much? She says just 2 dollars each. I ask, why didnt you buy a few? She replies cause they said government issue only. So i pull out an AR mag and ask, did they look like this? she say yes. But cant you get in trouble for having it? lmao. Still have to train her a lil bit more. But yes, she is wonderful.

1874Sharps
09-15-2012, 11:03 PM
toooldtocare,]

I do indeed pick up components, dies, etc. at bargain basement prices even though I do not currently have a gun to shoot the ammo in. I do this because I look at shooting as a lifelong sport and one never knows what guns will come in the future. Also, it is great to be able to help friends out when they need stuff, so it works all the way around.

frkelly74
09-15-2012, 11:11 PM
So she got you 30 Remington brass??? That is a real find.